Satellite on Top

C

Chulinw

I would like to put a Winguard auto fine on top and I am unable to find the factory pre-wire is located at. I know that I can do the job myself and don't want to pay a shop to install it for me. If anyone has had this done just what part of the roof did they install yours at.None

DennisZ

Chulinw
The only wiring for a roof mount salellite is a coax cable that is stowed in the roof across from the regular TV antenna, there are no power or control wires pre-installed.

C

Chulinw

I will have to look for the RG-6 wire around the antenna tks.

timk

Its supposed to be just opposite the crank up antenna, on the other side. I could hear it rattle when I moved mine, but if your only cutting a small hole into the roof, its going to be pretty hard to get down and find the wire.

I found it simpler to just run new lines up threw the bathroom vent. If you pull a few vent trim covers off, its pretty easy to get around in the attic. Plus as mentioned earlier, you still have to run power lines.

TimK

Uncle Rog

Howdy, we have the Winegard manual system,crank up and compass acqisition, I am able to acquire a good signal in about five minutes. CW installed the unit and tapped into the cable on the starboard side of the BR fan unit. They did a great job, replacing the vent with 13.5 BTU AC unit and hooked up the dish at the same time.......

Forrest Fetherolf

Satellite cable in roof

I have a 3600RL purchased in Aug 06. When I bought the unit, Clovis RV was to install the tracvision 4. After drilling two holes in the roof in the wrong location, I told them to stop. I installed the unit myself and didn't attempt to locate the coax in the roof. When the units are assembled at the factory the coax is coiled up in the roof (somewhere). Good luck drilling a 3/4" hole that is required to feed the wiring to the satellite dish and retrieve the cable at the same time. I drilled a 3/4" hole over the master bedroom cabinets and pulled the wiring. I was able to pull 12 volts and coax through the cabinets from the 12 volt outlet in the tv cabinet. I mounted the satellite control in the blank space between the upper cabinet doors. I used the existing antenna coax to feed the living room tv. All wiring is concealed inside the upper cabinets. With the use of 3 AB switches, I now have the option of park cable, roof satellite, antenna, and/or remote satillite to both tv's at the same time.

phranc

Nice job Forrest.. Hope you can make the rally so you can show the rest of us how this was done ..

C

Chulinw

I am going to pull the bedroom fan plastic trim down and look inside to see if I can find the cable wire. I know the antenna roll up is only two feet away and should be able to find the coax cable that way. I hope.... I want to intall a second a/c in the bedroom so I might do it at the same time since I will be in that area of the roof. I know that the unit is wired for the second a/c and I have done that before in another camper without any problem. Tks for telling me where to look for the sat cable.

jbeletti

Chulinw,

When I put my dish on the roof of my Landmar, I went by the diagram from Heartland that show the coil in the roof, on the door side straight across from the Winegard TV antenna. Sure enough, it was there. I shortened it up quite a bit and then added a new connector to the shortened wire. My LNB is coax powered and the dish is non-motorized so I didn't need to run any power wires.

Best of luck to you.

Jim

J

Jim_1899

Jim,
I have always had cable in my home and my tv's, phones, and tv are all hooked up to it.

So I don't know how satellite works and I was wondering if I could use one satellite subsription for both my RV and house for the tv? Is so then can I do the same with internet too and do you have to purchase a seperate subscription like with the cable companies.

DennisZ

I just installed a KVH auto dish on my 3055RL yesterday. I ran the power and coax to the area just above the book cabinet in the bathroom. You can remove the book rack and drill up thru the roof to find the exact location. The coax that runs from the roof satellite provision runs right thru that area, and you can either splice into it, or do as I did and run the coax all the way to the service panel so that an external can still be used if required. I installed the control switch in the entry closet next to the outside light switches, and ran the power for the antenna to the fuse panel below. All seems to work fine.

:)

randes

DennisZ,
I plan to order a 3055 within two weeks. Could you provide some links where I can read up on what is needed for a satellite internet & TV roof connection. I have heard of "Data Storm", are there other vendors out there?
Thanks,
Roy

DennisZ

Roy
Mine is just for TV reception, the DataStorm is for internet, I'm not quite ready for that step yet.

jpmorgan37

Randes:

Roy, here are a couple of setups for a portable satellite: http://www.businesswebsupport.com/index.html, http://www.dustyfoot.com/Dish.html I'm building my own from odd parts that I'm picking up off of eBay and should have it done for about half that price. The monthly charge for basic service from Hughes Net is $59 a month. If you are signed in at yahoo, log on to http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RVInternetBySatellite/ There is a lot of information available on that website. E-mail me if there is anything that I can help you with.

John