Is there a trick to dropping the spare down ?

wannabfree

I am having trouble releasing the spare tire and wheel from the holding bracket of an M21. The large wing-nut bracket seems to turn OK but it is on a wire cable rather than a fixed bolt and I cannot get it free. It seems to just twist the wire cable rather than actually loosen.

Thanx

Dave

hoefler

Look on the side of the coach for a access port, like a round wire/hose pass through port. Should be on the curb side. You will need the crank handle to rotate the little winch to lower the spare.

camr

If it is similar to the M22, just under the front curbside corner at frame level there is a rod with a bolt head identical to the one used to lower the stabilizers. Use the stabilizer rod crank to lower the tire.
Cam

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
And you will need to lower the tire all the way to the ground until the cable is slack. That way you can manipulate the hanger (wing nut looking thing) out of the hole.

Could be worse. One model I looked at during the RV show had the spare inside the basement, in a recess. And not right at the door, either. Meant you have to remove everything down there to get at it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The crank should be a goldish color and have a black plastic knob/handle on it. Should have been in the trailer when you received it.

wannabfree

Thanx to everyone who responded to this post. I laid on my back for an hour yesterday afternoon trying to figure that out. I almost took a bolt cutter to the wire cable.

I don't know if I ever would have figured this out without your replies.

Thanx Again
Dave

pegmikef

Hehehe, I am certainly glad to see that I'm not the only one that had trouble with the spare, but I wasn't smart enough to ask. In fact, I was taking some measurements to weld up a little frame to use with my hydraulic jack when I finally noticed the winch crank! It sure works nicely and I just use a rachet with a 3/4 inch socket to get it down (since I have to be on the ground anyway to take it off the cable assembly). Mike