Rear axle on 2009 Big Country 3285RL

rsheedy

Bobby & Peggy Sheedy
Does any one know where to get an axle straightned, in the Mississippi area, my rear axle is wearing my tires bad, right rear is wearing on outside and left rear is wearing inside

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like your rear axle may be out of allignment. I would look for a shop that takes care of big rig, semi trailers.
Have you looked at your springs and shackles? Does anything look out of place?

Peace
Dave

caissiel

I had the same situation with my previous trailer. I did all kinds of work to keep it from wearing the tires. It was off aligment from the front axrl, so I aligned it to the front, that is equal spacing. When I raised the trailer to suit the F250 I had to remove both axles so I decided to align the both axles to the pin.

Only then that I found out that the rear axle was correct all along but the front was of by 3/8"on one side.
Because the front was not tracking with the Pin it was causing the rear tire to pull one side and similar wear was happening.
I never wore any tires up front. It could be caused by hitting something hard with the front tire and trowing it off.

So the problem can be one of both axles as I have experienced.

lwmcguir

Most any large tire shop could direct you to a trailer alignment shop. Most of us that have stock and flat beds need alignment from time to time. There is usually one in every large town at a minimum. The bend the axles if the hangers are spaced correctly and the shackles aren't worn. If repairs are needed they come first and then the alignment.

caissiel

It comes back to me, last fall on our first trip to Florida with the BC, I checked the springs once we arrived and they were all loose.
On one side the center pin had broken and the rear axle was off by at least 3/4". I caught it in time and replaced the springs and U-Bolts.
I never noticed any tire wear during the trip south, most have happened at the end of the trip.