Optiflame Fireplace hazzard

Forrest Fetherolf

Owners with the Optiflame fireplace should check the installation of this unit. When I first used the electric internal heater, the only thing that got hot was the fireplace oak mantel and upper oak frame. The mantel and upper frame was so hot that I could not finger touch. The unit was installed at the factory directly on the carpet which prevented air flow under the unit for the heater fan and no other air source was provided. Optiflame specifications clearly state in bold lettering "Do not install the fireplace insert directly on carpet or similar surfaces which may restrict the air flow."
The fix is, I placed a 24" x 12" 26 gauge sheet metal under the fireplace legs to provide an opening for air flow to the fan. I raised the mantel and surround 3/8" off the carpet. I installed 26" x 14" sheet metal between the top of the fireplace and upper oak frame and mantel as a heat deflector. The unit works efficiently without the threat of a fire hazzard.
I advised Chris De La Paz at the Bighorn factory of this hazzard.

tdharley

Beleive it or not this has been brought up many times before.

Say it aint so that they have not fixed that yet. That is an insurance nightmare ready to happen. Especially since they know of the problem.

ChopperBill

While I haven't posted for a while I feel compelled to add to this topic as it is a real safety concern. This problem was known way before mine was built. My coach was one of the last of "06's" and the fireplace was installed on the carpet. I could see between the fire place and the wood frame that carpet was there. I had my dealer check it out for sure. They confirmed it was mounted on the carpet. They removed the fireplace and cut out the carpet and reinstalled the fireplace. Factory denied the warranty because they did not take pictures of the carpet before the fix. So make sure your dealer or repair facility takes some pictures before they begin the work to insure that they get their due credit. My apology for the unflattering post but like I said it is a safety issue that all should be aware of.

vangoes

Fireplace

I just returned from a trip to Gulf Shores; unfortunately while I was there cold records was broken back to 1882 (must be the black cloud over my head). Nevertheless, I utilized my fireplace on my '07 3055 BH 24 hrs a day a few times and had no issues. I was only thankful that I had the fireplace. It provided comfort and reduced propane usage and the surrounding surfaces and moldings never got overly hot. So, the heat problem some units are having must not be univeral to all.

Last edited:

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I will check mine out. The unit throws out good heat but the mantle, DVD and the cable box all get very warm.............

busted2341

Let me understand this correctly....There should be no carpet under the FP?..If so, should the dealer remove it? I really don't want a fire....

wazz_zup

All good here. No carpet down there, with a flashlight you can barely see between the FP and the wood frame and all I can see is wood for the base. Thanks for the heads-up Forrest. Looks like the factory has cleared up this on the 08's.

Happy Campers

I checked our 08 3370RL and i also saw a wood frame beneith the fp.The fan does blow but i'm thinking it could blow a little harder.ou can also go to the website Open flame
Thanks

Last edited:

Mariposa

fire place

after reading and checking the wood work around the fire place I felt nothing hot. Good air flow. Could feel the heat keeping the chill off the living room. Was thinking of bragging about my heater. THEN, Two days ago the system went belly up. I have been doing some checking and it looks like the problem are in the switch and/or electronic board. It is also a DESA

ChopperBill

You might check the outlet it is plugged into. They just have "slip in" wire connectors and the high amps/watts may have shorted it out.

nhunter

Anyone that uses those push in connections should be tarred and feathered. Just asking for troubles.

Happy Campers

I'm sorry but i think i posted the wrong fireplace manufacturer in the above post.
Mine is manufactured by Dimplex and here is a breakdown for these models,i have the BF5000.
BF5000NT
BF5000
EF2604
SF2603
DF2603

Fireplace parts

Barry Crocker

We had our fireplace fixed at ExploreUSA RV Supercenter in San Antonio, TX. The carpet was removed and a metal plate was installed. The technician went one step futher and in installed a vent in the right side under the desk. Air now flows great!

jpmorgan37

Bill;
Someplace back in the forum, Christianson mentioned how he put one in his fireplace. He's off line for about three months now so I can't ask him. I'll try to find his post.
John

Here is the post that I was referring to. //heartlandowners.org/showpost.php?p=29109&postcount=17