Hot Water Heater

Treeban

Caliber Senior Owner
Could not get the hot water heater to heat electrically. The manual says only how use the heater using propane. Found out quite by accident that there is a switch with a pin in it, almost hidden, in the water heater compartment.
May I assume turning on that switch will allow me to heat water with electricity?
Why doesn't the owners/operators manual explain how to operate it without having to always use propane?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Treeban, welcome to the forum. You are correct in that the switch with the pin in will enable the 120 volt heating element. There should also be a switch inside to turn on when you want to heat water with electricity.
If your dealer did a proper PDI they would have removed that pin and tested the water heater.
Don't know why the owners manual does not explain that. It may be covered in the manual for the water heater though.

Peace
Dave

Treeban

Caliber Senior Owner
Thanks for your post Dave. I agree with you about the dealership not doing a proper PDI. The water heater manual does not refer to electric operation at all. Duramax rules!

noobee

Yeah, just blame it on the dealer!
Just maybe the dealer did test the hot water using electricity & then put the pin back in so that the unit was in the same state as it came from the factory........

CS

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Yeah, just blame it on the dealer!
Just maybe the dealer did test the hot water using electricity & then put the pin back in so that the unit was in the same state as it came from the factory........

CS
I was under the impression that the dealer is to thoroughly go over the trailers functions with the new owner. A bit of a "training course" if you will. You are probably correct in stating the dealer may have tested the HWH and replaced the pin. had the dealer explained the operation of the appliances, the owner may have known how to use them. On the other side of that coin, there are times dealers try to explain things to new owners and the new owners says, "Oh yeah, I know all about that stuff".
I have also seen that little rocker switch on water heaters that are not 110 volt. That switch actually allows 12 volts to the control board. Or so I was told by a dealer.

Treeban

Caliber Senior Owner
Perhaps they did test the water heater & put the pin back in, that's OK, but they could have explained it to me. Yes, I listened to everything he said, & no, I don't know it all. The guy that explained it all to me was very young & I will say that I knew some things about a travel trailer that he did not. So, I'll chalk it up to experience or lack of experience on their part.