Edge Slideout manual operation

camr

What is the procedure to manually retract the slideout on an M22? When the slide in retracted, if I look from the bed side under the slide, I can see the motor rod that presumably can be turned to move the slide mechanism. But this is not accessible if the slide is extended. The structure under the cushions would be a nightmare to remove, as if the screws are removed, the board will fall down on under the slide, and on top of the mechanism. Getting the board back up to re-install would be a worse nightmare. My dealer has looked, and has no idea.
Hopefully we will never have to manually retract the slide, but I would like to know it is possible should the situation arise.
Cam

artie

I have an Edge 21ft. To move the slide by hand you have to take off the molding around the slide out and on top you will see the motor. Hartland's service dept told me it has a 1/4" drive on it and owners should keep a socket set in their rig. I also inquired about getting Electrical & Plumbing plans. I was told that there were not available and that each trailer although the same model is wired up different. If I knew this I would not have purchased a Hartland. This is a first for me had 4 R/V's already and never heard of things like this.:(
Artie

camr

Thanks very much for contacting the factory directly, Artie. Did they advise whether you need to disengage a brake before turning the shaft? I never did receive a reply to my post. Kind of made me lose faith in brand support as well. Others seem to get a reply quickly, but not the Edge customers. I even sent an e-mail directly to Mike Creech, but didn't get a reply either. Overall, we have been very satisfied with our Edge. But it would be nice to know that we would be able to receive the same support as the other brands. Maybe it is something that upper management can look in to. Thanks again.
Cam

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Artie, what other brands did you have that came with a wiring diagram?? I have never had one that did and I have had at least 8 SOB's.

JeffN

I too would like to see more details on the manual operation of the slideout. the slideout on our M22 failed to retract using the switch this weekend and I was dreading the thought of leaving our camper (2.5 hour drive) only to return later to try and fix. Sounded like it wasn't receiving any power. Initially checked the fuses... checked to see if it might be GFCI related... no luck We ended up unscrewing the slideout switch.. which appears to be a relay switch using a RJ45 telephone connector and wire.. removed the RJ45 plug from the switch .. reinserted it and it worked again... connection didn't seem loose so we may experience this again which is why it would be nice to know a manual method as well.

camr

Hi Jeff, I have been through the Lippert manual website and cannot find the slide system that I am confident is being used on the Edge. From what I have observed, the motor is under the rear most end of the slide mounted against the trailer wall. It does not move with the slide. From what I can gather (from getting down at the bed end and looking under, and taking off the board in the rear most "under cushion" storage area) the only access to the motor drive shaft is to remove the carpeted boards at the lower rear of the slide. Assuming the slide is stuck in the Out position, the drive shaft would not be accessible from the bed end. I assume (because no one from the factory dares give detailed directions) that either end of the drive rod can be rotated with a socket wrench. Once the slide has been pulled in a few inches by rotating the drive shaft from the rear end of the slide, the shaft would be accessible easier from the bed end.
I would beg for anyone who has actually had to manually retract the slide to let us know exactly how it is done. Or maybe, just maybe, someone from the factory can give us directions. I would sure love to know how to do it, before it becomes the days greatest problem and ruins a great holiday!!!

Yellowreef

For what its worth, I will share a "tip" given to me by the senior tech at my dealer during the PDI. Granted, I am not a mechanic and would be hesitant to mess something up with this "method" but here it goes. He said the best way is to disconect the power from the motor, go outside and push the slide in, then reconnect the power. Like I said, take it for what its worth but the guy did have a wall full of certifications to go with his several decades working on rvs.