Is upgrading to 8K axels overkill?

back2nature

Getting down to the wire on ordering the BH 3670RL. Comes with 7K axels. Wondering if it would be better to order the 8K axels with the larger brakes from the factory, or is this overkill for the 3670? It will be our only home for a quite while, so we want to get the order right the first time. I know many of you suggest the Mor-Ryde IS, but it is not in the budget right now, so please skip that suggestion.

Thanks for any input.

ihsolutions

Hi Laurie,

I ordered the 8k axles. I thought it was a worthwhile option at the time, since it also included the larger brakes and never-lube hubs. But, I later found out it did not include those hubs. So for the price you are getting 8k axles and better brakes.

The brakes are great. Not as good as disc I'm sure, and based on your comment about Mor/Ryde IS being expensive, you probably aren't going to spring for disc. I had an axle break already, so I'll just say the axle portion of the upgrade is definitely not worthwhile IMO.

Are the brakes worth the price difference? Only you can decide. I think they probably are, but I'd be awfully tempted to spend double and get disc, if I had to do it again.

back2nature

I had an axle break already, so I'll just say the axle portion of the upgrade is definitely not worthwhile IMO.

Thanks Jim for the comment, but we wonder. . . how did you break an 8K axle already? Tight turns or just going down the highway? If you care to comment.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
In my book the 8K Mor-Ryde IS with disc brakes and never lube bearings is the way to go if you intend on keeping the rig for awhile. The disc brakes are wonderful and not having to worry about lubing the hubs makes one less thing to worry about. The 8k gives you an extra margin of safety. IMHO

aatauses

Hey Laurie,
We have a 2010 Bh 3670. We are full timers. We did not get the 8K, but went with the standard. We are very aware of our weights and so far have not had an issue. We recently had the trail air center point installed (and having a few issues with that), do not have the more-ride Is, but have a mor ride pin box and a husky air hitch which seems to work well together.
You will really like your 3670, great choice.
al

lwmcguir

The 8K axles were worth it to us. Nice safety margin and we intend to keep the coach for many years. If you aren't going to keep it long term it may be overkill to a point but the extra braking capacity is very nice. You can lock up the brakes if you need to.

ihsolutions

Thanks Jim for the comment, but we wonder. . . how did you break an 8K axle already? Tight turns or just going down the highway? If you care to comment.

Laurie,

The 8k axle broke where the saddle is welded to the axle. The axle itself did not snap in half like you might be thinking. Still, nearly as dangerous, the axle broke free and spun inside the shackles causing the brakes to fail (torn wire) and the whole rig not road worthy. There is a weak point that exists on the 8k axle that does not seem to be present on the 7k due to a design difference.

For more details with pics, visit this thread about my axle situation:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/17034-2011-BH-Axle-Disaster?highlight=

back2nature

Well, Jeff, that's give us more to think about.

We will probably keep this trailer for a while. We usually take so long to make a decision of buying the right unit we want, we don't want to give it up too soon.

Wharton

We ordered the 7k axles with the larger brakes. We were planning to change over to the Mor/ryde IS system ASAP since we had it before and didn't want to deal with the springs/axle problems inherent in the bigger Heartland models. At Mor/ryde we had ordered the 8K system before we knew our weights and they came back suggesting the 7K system. These trailer's are a lot lighter than the older trailers. We were weighed at Escapade by RVSEF and again at Mor/ryde. Fully loaded for a 5 month trip with a full water tank we weighed around 12900 lbs. at both weighings(within 20 lbs.).

I would skip the 8K axles, suggest you do get the Goodyear tires though and the bigger brakes. We would of loved to have the never-lubes but they are not offered. Can be added by Mor/ryde later. There was some question at Mor/ryde about putting on the IS system with the larger brakes but it ended up OK. We did not change to the disc brakes as we tow with an MDT and have no stopping issues, with or without trailer brakes(experienced no trailer brakes going through WV-different trailer).

Hope this helps. Love our trailer.........

arisce

I thought of 8K axles but someone mentioned that if the rig is not heavy enough then the ride will be stiff. Like an empty truck. If the ride is hard then a result of this is that the rig is jarred and can cause some damage to your trailer. It is a fine balance between weight and ride. Too much or too little can alter the ride. JMHO.

back2nature

Thanks everyone for your input. We are thinking now we should just stay with the 7K axles. Like arisce said, "it is a fine balance between weight and ride". And the problems Jeff was having with the 8K's is scarry. Wharton suggests the 7K with larger brakes, but when we asked our dealer about larger brakes, he said it only came with the 8K's. We will try to pursue that some more. We agree that the Mor-Ryde IS is great. Trailer Life mag had a nice article on it, but it's a bit pricey for us right now.

Thanks all.

lwmcguir

Laurie,

The 8k axle broke where the saddle is welded to the axle. The axle itself did not snap in half like you might be thinking. Still, nearly as dangerous, the axle broke free and spun inside the shackles causing the brakes to fail (torn wire) and the whole rig not road worthy. There is a weak point that exists on the 8k axle that does not seem to be present on the 7k due to a design difference.

For more details with pics, visit this thread about my axle situation:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/17034-2011-BH-Axle-Disaster?highlight=

I noticed you have one less spring leaf than we do on our 8K axles. That is interesting. Our 7 K springs look like yours.

davebennington

We ordered the Dexter never lube and the 8K axle, back in 2006. So far we have had no problems with the setup on our classic Landmark. I think it would be worth the price to get the heaver axle, there is not such thing as over kill when it comes to safety, just my opinion.

Dave

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I noticed you have one less spring leaf than we do on our 8K axles. That is interesting. Our 7 K springs look like yours.

Lwmcguir, is your 8k axel spring base support attached like the photos Jeff posted? I don't see a saddle type welded base in his pictures, looks like flat strap is welded on 2 spots for a total of about 3" of weld. The saddle type weld spring to axel support has over 10" of weld to the axel itself. I appears a easy fix to add some more contact weld in that area. ( a heavy one sided tack on bottom of the U-bolts will stop axel from turning too).

back2nature

FYI, talk with factory yesterday. They are now using Dexter's. Bye bye Lippert. So our decision is solved and we are going to just go with the Dexter 7K. If, in the future, we could afford the Mor-Ryde IS, we could change to that, but for now, we will try this out and see how it goes.

ihsolutions

Lwmcguir, is your 8k axel spring base support attached like the photos Jeff posted? I don't see a saddle type welded base in his pictures, looks like flat strap is welded on 2 spots for a total of about 3" of weld. The saddle type weld spring to axel support has over 10" of weld to the axel itself. I appears a easy fix to add some more contact weld in that area. ( a heavy one sided tack on bottom of the U-bolts will stop axel from turning too).

When Jerry from Lippert came out to my house, he tried to explain why the 8k axles have the flat bar instead of the saddle that wraps around the axle (which would seem to be a better method). With the 8k axles under load the rounded saddle type weld was crushing the axle tube. So they went to the design I have now. Not sure that makes sense to me, but he seems very honest and at least believed he was telling me the truth.