I have joined the Dark Side.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Waiting for Ray to retire, and needed something to do, unemployment stunk. Just finishing my 2nd week of employment with a local RV parts and service center. Just a lot of fun. OK money, but the perks are great. Big discount on Parts and I get to see the new stuff first. Flexible schedule so I still get to RV. Ideal job for me.

Things I have learned this week...
1. Your attitude determines how fast your work get done.
2. The nice people get better discounts.
3. Sometimes it really is the factory that is slow.
4. If you're in a bind, they really will try to help you, but see number 1.

Disclaimer: I shopped there a lot before they offered me a job, so knew I liked the place and the crew. :)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I would think that would be a pretty great job, congratulations. I suppose it beats being bored. Is it the same dealer that sold you the Bighorn? It's good to be able to work in an environment thats familiar to a hobby you love. Enjoy!

Northern Virginia
That's what I was thinking(.....heavy breathing.....)Okay, now we have a mole that can sell their deepest secrets! Bawhaaaaaaaaa.

slmayor

Secret Agent at your service...LOL
They don't do RV sales, but they do all work on any brand. My tech guy told me today that he thinks the Heartlands are one of the best built coaches out there today. He would compare them with others costing twice as much. By comparison, he said they're seeing a lot of newer Jaycos with serious issues when they used to see very few of them.
I've already learned about some new products from the tech guys and am learning to test the circuit boards for the coach appliances. It is the most fun I've had since I closed the Hot Rod shop. And I do promise to report back to you any "secrets" I learn..LOL

Here's the first tip... clean the mud dauber nest (wasps) out of the burner assembly on the hot water heater before you take it to the service center complaining that it's defective. LOL

Northern Virginia
I am in the construction business and I agree with your tech guy. After looking at the SOB's I felt like the Heartlands were better constructed where it counts. Since they all use the same appliances, frames and so on, the fit and finish of the Heartland was a lot better. I have had a few minor problems but over all it has been a good unit (fingers crossed that I haven't just jinxed myself)

BTW, I think anyone who deals with customers will wholeheartedly agree that being nice and a good attitude will get you a lot farther than fist pounding and demands. It certainly does with me :) Also, when your really in a bind, it never hurts to beg. Sometimes, it's hard to say no when you really feel sorry for someone.

John

wdk450

Deb:
I think it is OK for you to name the business on the forum as a possible service source to the rest of us in the area. I'm sure you will use all influence you have as a new employee (tongue in cheek) to get Heartlanders treated right.

loafer

Hey Ray are they loacted near I-5 as we travel that corridor to CA.
Where was your hot rod shop as i have a street rod do you still have any ?
good luck with your new cool job
Bill

azbound

Now let me guess where you are talking about. They don't sell RVs and I know you live in or near Shasta Lake City. Are we working at Safari? I choose them over Nor. Cal RV because I think they sell Tent Trailers and you are a lot closer to Safari that the RV place on Victor.

slmayor

OK first, I did have a hot rod shop, it was on Cascade blvd (frontage rd off I-5) by the Giant Orange Cafe and we still have a 39 chevy 2 door sedan and a couple projects. And this is Deb, Ray has a real job...LOL
Yep, it's Safari RV. I was so impressed with our guys the other day. I had been trying to help a lady traveling in a diesel pusher, by phone, to try to find an air cleaner. We don't do chassis parts, but all the truck shops kept sending her back to us. She showed up in the late afternoon, and we got on the phone to try to locate an air cleaner after our tech removed it and got the model number. In the meantime, he took it back and cleaned it, brought it back and told her he thought it would be fine until she got home as it was pretty plugged with dust. No charge.
I'm working on them to see what they can do for us for the Regional rally as their main store is in Reno. So yes, I am using my influence to benefit Heartlanders. :) It is a really great place to work and really good people to work for. If any of you are passing by, just take a quick detour and come in and say hi.