Outside Gasket

DRGalligher

We have a 2011 3055RL BH. On our current trip, we noticed that the gasket on the "central command" (the one with the tank latches, fresh water fill, etc.) keeps sticking to the door when it's opened. It requires us to reposition it each time before closing the door. Anyone else have this problem?

Gizzy

We have the same problem on our new BH3070. In fact the seals on all the basement doors have that problem. It is one of the things on our list to get fixed when we take it in to get some other work done. I worry that they will just try to glue it back. Now that I hear someone else is having the same problem maybe it is not just a one time problem. we'll see if others chime in on this topic.

danemayer

My 2011 Rushmore had this problem on both slam doors and on both gas tank doors. I picked up a small bottle of contact cement from Home Depot, applied to both surfaces, let dry for 5 minutes, and placed the gasket into position a bit at a time. I've check several times over the past couple of weeks. No more problems.

DRGalligher

Thanks for the feedback! Maybe glueing it back as danemayer has is the solution. Let me know with a posting, Gizzy, what the dealership tells you.

wdk450

Besides gluing down the gaskets, maybe the gasket faces and mating surfaces need a good cleaning of any residual adhesive.

ihsolutions

I also have the same problem on my 2011 3670RL. While it's at the dealer I'm having them address it. But this is one of those things I would rather just take care of myself. Have Heartland ship me some new seals, and I'll take on the responsibility of the install.

The problem lies in the adhesive being spread onto the door side of the surface. So it sticks to the door each time you open it. No matter how many times you put it back in place it will keep doing it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I would try to remove any excess adhesive on both the seal and the door. Then, use some 303 protectant on the seal to prevent sticking. This sounds very similar to the fantastic vent seal sticking. 303 solved the problem after cleaning the seals. Of course this is just me. Quick and easy, git er dun.

sdagro

I had the same problem on my 2011 3670. After 4 trips to dealer and 3 new gaskets they finally decided to put some type of yellow adhesive and it is working. The adhesive on the peel and stick gaskets was junk. Steve

Wharton

We have the same problem on our 2011 BH 3670. When we get to Houston we will work on this problem and other little problems(first trip out in trailer).

K

karykatz

Sounds like there are some great solutions with other owners. When reattaching, please make sure the surface is clean. if you need to replace the seals, please contact parts and service. I hope this helps.

TedS

Having the same problem with our 2011 2985RL, both the universal control center door seal and the hydraulic control access door seal. The dealer glued the seal, but it is not holding. I am going to wipe the seal with silicone lube to make it slid easier on the door. Maybe use some Gorilla glue too.

DRGalligher

This is definitely frustrating, my only concern with a gorilla glue solution on this is eventually the rubber on the seals will need to be replaced, I bought my Bighorn 3055 with the plan that this is my last trailer, five in 13 years trailer camping, so this is it (for the time being :)).

Gorilla glue is very good stuff, almost too good for something like this, by that I mean when the rubber seals come to the end of their lives and I need to replace them, the gorilla glue will not let it go and I'm going to have problems replacing them with new ones in the future because I will need a clean smooth surface to mount new ones in the future. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for this one, I'm going to check at my local auto parts store for something like a thin double-sided stick tape - similar to the mounting tape used for the sun screens on my truck windows, this may make it easier later on to replace with a little Goof Off to clean the surface later - however they may be problem with the Goof-off with the gelcoat so I will need to be really careful later on not to splatter.

I am open to any suggestions to repair this, I do like the idea of the contact cement posted by Dan Mayer and the silicone treatment by Ted to the gaskets to soften them. Does anyone have a suggestion of a good residual cleaner that won't harm the gelcoat if it splatters?

Wharton

We just did the contact cement solution. We took off the gasket, cleaned everything with goo gone and some alcohol. Straightened out the gasket on a picnic table(put the gasket on wax paper to protect the table. Put on the contact glue(a brush came in the small container) on the gasket and the trailer. As I put the gasket on, my wife slid a large piece of wax paper along so the gasket wouldn't stick either to itself or in the wrong spot. Went well. A few hours later I sprayed everything with 303. 2 days on so far and all is well.

TedS

karykatz,
are you saying Heartland will provide gratis parts to those of us who are trying to solve Heartland's door seal problem?

:) silicone spray after re attachment helps to keep rubber from sticking to doors,works on many issues ive found and no oily black forms to rub off on your shirt.

DRGalligher

We just did the contact cement solution. We took off the gasket, cleaned everything with goo gone and some alcohol. Straightened out the gasket on a picnic table(put the gasket on wax paper to protect the table. Put on the contact glue(a brush came in the small container) on the gasket and the trailer. As I put the gasket on, my wife slid a large piece of wax paper along so the gasket wouldn't stick either to itself or in the wrong spot. Went well. A few hours later I sprayed everything with 303. 2 days on so far and all is well.

Wharton - what was the brand of contact cement you used? We have a couple different brands, just want to make sure I use the correct one. Thanks.

Wharton

We just bought it at HD or Lowes. I don't think there is any choice. We found it in the paint department. I'll get the brand later on and post it.

Wharton

WE used DAP Weldwood Contact Cement-water resistent-petroleum based. Let me know if you have further questions.