Outdoor Grill Option

BorgX

Hi everyone! We just recently (yesterday) got our 21FBS and we opted for the grill that comes with it... I must say that I'm not impressed with the quality of the grill at all. I'm going back to my dealer to see what my options are for returning it.

My question... I cannot for the life of me figure out how to mount it on the trailer. I see the bar it is supposed to mount to, but the furnace exhaust on the left and the water tank fill location on the right stop me from sliding it on. Any idea how it is supposed to work?

Also, if I didn't get the grill option, my guess is that I wouldn't have that ugly mounting bar on the side of the trailer either... is that the case? If so, uugghhh!

I will say that so far we love the trailer and the quality is awesome! Except for the grill... :) Thanks!

Last edited:

jimtoo

Hi BorgX,

I am moving the thread over to the North Trail area where I think you will get more answers to your question.

Hope you get things worked out with the grille.

Jim M

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
BorgX, I don't have a NT, but I did have a pop-up with an outside grill. I'm thinking they are about the same setup.
The grill did not slide into the mounting rail. Try and lift the side of the grill closest to you and then put the grill to the rail. Then lower your end. It should then secure to the rail.
I don't know if that makes sense but try something other than sliding it in.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I think what Dave is trying to say is, the two rails, one on the grill and the other on the trailer wall are designed to engage, not slide together. Line up the top edge of the grill rail under the top edge of the trailer rail. Then lower the front of the grill. There should be some support brackets that attach to the bottom of the grill and to the wall below the rail.
Like you, I never did see an advantage to the trailer mounted grill. Nor did I like the design. We carry a Weber BabyQ so we can use it anywhere we want. Best small grill I've ever owned.

BorgX

No resolution on the grill yet. Heartland called me today to tell me they would NOT take it back. Very surprised and disappointed with the response I got. With all of the people I have heard telling how responsive and reasonable Heartland was, I wasn't expecting that response... just means I have more work to do... I am not giving up, one way or the other the grill is going back to Heartland. Now I'm upset.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Didn't you see what the grill option looked like before you ordered it? You dealer should be able to show and tell you how to mount it to the trailer. Maybe once you figure out how to use it you will be happy with it.

BorgX

Didn't you see what the grill option looked like before you ordered it? You dealer should be able to show and tell you how to mount it to the trailer. Maybe once you figure out how to use it you will be happy with it.
The grill I was shown was stainless steel. Heartland said they ran out of the black Rhino Grills for a time and used the stainless steel grills... of course that was the one I saw and thought I was buying. They were of good quality... the Rhino's are not worth more than $50 in my opinion.

Saildogs

We also have the black Rhino and are surprised at how well it cooks food and how easy it cleans up. We do not mount it on the trailer but on a separate table more away from the TT when in use. We'll use it until it goes to "grill heaven" and then replace with a Baby Q.

It would be very surprising for Heartland to let you return an option you purchased so why not just use it and replace when it's no longer usable?

BorgX

It would be very surprising for Heartland to let you return an option you purchased so why not just use it and replace when it's no longer usable?
I understand that you are fine with the grill and I am very happy for you. I am not. I really feel like it was a bait and switch scenario (yes I know Heartland would not do that intentionally, but it is how it feels). I saw the grill and "assumed" it was the grill I would be getting... it is not. This one is unused and has already lost paint and is rusting. I had to bend the lid on it to even get it to close.

As far as them not letting me return and option... why wouldn't they? It is unused and can be handed back to them for a refund. The other option would be for them to trade it out with what I was shown I was getting. At this point, I don't even want it mounted on my camper... I'm over that. I just want what I was promised.

Ray LeTourneau

I hate to sound like I'm defending Heartland but...

This should not be Heartland's responsibility. This should be between you and your dealer. He offered the option, you took it. If you thought you were getting stainless, because that's what the dealer showed you, it should be up to the dealer to make you happy. I would never expect anything I ordered as an option to be "returnable". If you ordered options on anything be it a car, boat, RV, furniture, appliance, even a house, it's yours. That's the way things are.

BorgX

I hate to sound like I'm defending Heartland but...

This should not be Heartland's responsibility. This should be between you and your dealer. He offered the option, you took it. If you thought you were getting stainless, because that's what the dealer showed you, it should be up to the dealer to make you happy. I would never expect anything I ordered as an option to be "returnable". If you ordered options on anything be it a car, boat, RV, furniture, appliance, even a house, it's yours. That's the way things are.
I hear what you are saying, but I disagree. And... you don't know the entire situation, not your fault at all. The original intent of this was to find out about mounting the grill, not to vent and share my bad feelings. I apologize for that. This is between me and Heartland. The deal was made with a Heartland rep directly at an RV show and the delivery took place with the dealer... that was it.

This reply for for Ray and I'm sure it will be emailed to him.

If any admin would like to delete this thread, please feel free to do so. I LOVE my North Trail. I am THRILLED with the quality of the TT. My issue is with the RHINO grill. I am not trying to talk Heartland down at all.

Ray LeTourneau

I hear what you are saying, but I disagree. And... you don't know the entire situation, not your fault at all. The original intent of this was to find out about mounting the grill, not to vent and share my bad feelings. I apologize for that. This is between me and Heartland. The deal was made with a Heartland rep directly at an RV show and the delivery took place with the dealer... that was it.

This reply for for Ray and I'm sure it will be emailed to him.

If any admin would like to delete this thread, please feel free to do so. I LOVE my North Trail. I am THRILLED with the quality of the TT. My issue is with the RHINO grill. I am not trying to talk Heartland down at all.
Thanks for clearing that up and I can now understand why you feel as you do. So back to the original issue. Have you been able to figure out the method of mounting the grill? As others have mentioned, they like how it worked. Either way, I hope you can find resolution.