yearly brake and bearing maintance

Bobby A

Took the coach today for its first annual brake/bearing inspection, although a little costly but probably well worth it because they found that both off door side axle seals were leaking. I had the bearing repacked, new seals, and brakes inspected, now I'm ready for the 1200 mile journey south for the winter. I know people that never had this done and there coaches are a lot older than mine. I will spend a couple hundred bucks to save some grief with a break down on the highway in a unfamular town or state. I'm just saying !!!

Bobby A

rickd

Smart move! We just took delivery of a brand new 2011 Big Country 3250TS so I won't have to worry about brake and bearing checks before heading south this year. But, prior to this year, I had a mechanic friend inspect our brakes and repack the wheel bearings each November. It was well worth it. One year, he found a brake lining that had come loose and could have caused us some very serious trouble if we hadn't caught it. Our new rig has the E-Z lube hubs, but I'll still probably get them all checked manually next year. Better safe than sorry!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have the brakes/bearing checked every spring before camping season starts as well as having the tires rotated and balanced. As you said, it's amazing how many people don't do this but it makes perfect sense - the coach is a moving/rolling thing just like your car.

Bobby A

Smart move! We just took delivery of a brand new 2011 Big Country 3250TS so I won't have to worry about brake and bearing checks before heading south this year. But, prior to this year, I had a mechanic friend inspect our brakes and repack the wheel bearings each November. It was well worth it. One year, he found a brake lining that had come loose and could have caused us some very serious trouble if we hadn't caught it. Our new rig has the E-Z lube hubs, but I'll still probably get them all checked manually next year. Better safe than sorry!

Yea, we also have the EZ lube hubs, I was told that is not necessarly a good thing because people just zap some greese in there and forget about it. If someone squirts to much greese it could damage the seals, so I'm told.