Popping sounds from frame/hydraulics?

ALLFK

We have been in our first Heartland for about a week. It is a 2011 Grand Canyon. It set up ok on autolevel but pops intermittently. I don't know if the sounds are coming from the frame or the hydraulic system. I suspect the latter. At greatest frequency the system pops every three to five minutes and movement can be felt from inside the RV. I have not found any mention of this on the forum. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

jimtoo

Hi ALLFK,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I not seen any post or complaints about this before. Hopefully you can isolate the area closer and get to the cause.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
ALLFK, I have the Level Up system and it does "pop" when using it. When it was first installed I noticed that and Ron, the guy that installs them, said that is the lines moving under pressure in the belly. All normal and nothing to worry about. But, as always it is a good idea to keep an eye out for hydraulic oil leaks and watch the level of fluid in the reservoir.
You mentioned movement. Does the trailer actually move or do you just feel the popping? Does the trailer remain level?

Peace
Dave

DougS

Doug S
ALLFK,
I also have a 2011 Grand Canyon and have the same sound. Yesterday, I had Jerry from Lippert at my home to replace my axles and we both tried to find the source of the sound. Jerry found what we think is the source of the sound. Believe it or not, it was the foot pad at the bottom of the front leg. When we shook the RV, the popping sound was heard behind the propane tank. I guess as the outside temperature changed, the foot pad caused the popping sound. Jerry jacked up the RV from under the frame and used WD-40 on the foot pad at the bottom of the leg, moved the foot pad around while it was off the ground, then removed the jack from under the frame, we shook the RV, sound gone. Time will tell if that was the source of sound, but the popping sound stopped. My ToDo list will now include spraying the foot pads every once and a while.

Great job Jerry on doing the axles and tracing down the sound.

DougS