Split fender alignment on Big Country 3250 TS

rons5er

We purchased a 2011 BC 3250 TS in August. So far the unit has been flawless. Other than rerouting the fresh water fill hose to make filling easier (fixed it myself) it has had no issues. However, I do have problem I'd like some advice on. I noticed after our first trip that upon closing the slides the door side slide has a one inch mis-match on the plastic two piece fender molding. The slide part of the plastic skirt will not align with the fixed non moveable piece on the aluminum skirting. I spoke to the dealer about it and he said we could try to adjust the slide. The Heartland rep said the same thing, so in the spring I will take it in. The thing that bothers me is that it doesn't look to me it can be adjusted enough to fix the mis-match. I even noticed in the Big Country brochure that the unit on the cover has the same problem. So before I take it in I thought I'd see if any other 3250 owners have encountered this problem. Thanks in advance. Good Travels

Yianni

We purchased a 2011 BC 3250 TS in August. So far the unit has been flawless. Other than rerouting the fresh water fill hose to make filling easier (fixed it myself) it has had no issues. However, I do have problem I'd like some advice on. I noticed after our first trip that upon closing the slides the door side slide has a one inch mis-match on the plastic two piece fender molding. The slide part of the plastic skirt will not align with the fixed non moveable piece on the aluminum skirting. I spoke to the dealer about it and he said we could try to adjust the slide. The Heartland rep said the same thing, so in the spring I will take it in. The thing that bothers me is that it doesn't look to me it can be adjusted enough to fix the mis-match. I even noticed in the Big Country brochure that the unit on the cover has the same problem. So before I take it in I thought I'd see if any other 3250 owners have encountered this problem. Thanks in advance. Good Travels

My 2010 Cyclone 3010 has exactly the same condition you described.
In my case, the fit and finish on my trailer has been excellent from the beginning except for that alignment, so it really doesn't bother me much. I don't think adjusting will bring it in enough to match.
The slide is tight when closed and has never leaked so I'm leaving it alone.

rons5er

Yianni, That is kinda what I thought. I really didn't thing an adjustment would pull it in farther either. I have noticed on the Big Horns with the split skirt the fixed piece is extended further out to insure match when closed. I would think they could do the same thing on the BC. Wouldn't cost that much. Agree with you on over all quality and I won't lose sleep over it! Good Travels

GOTTOYS

Mine is the same way. Don't think it can be adjusted any tighter. I agree it would look better if they lined up...but life goes on...Don

SilverRhino

Our 2010 BC is that way.....bothered me the first few times I looked at it......now I don't even notice it!

Would be nice if they did line up better, but considering all the problems that there could be.....well.....I'm just not going to worry about it. The slide is water tight and that what really matters.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Look around at not just the Heartland but also other brands and you see the same thing. It would be impossible (IMHO) to be able to have a slide that can be adjusted to open and close to seal properly and have the skirting line up. If you adjust the skirting to line up you probably would have the slide not open or close properly.

Vtxkid

I noticed the same concern on my Cyclone when I was doing my walk around pre-delivery inspection at the dealership. I asked one of the service guys there and he said he had seen several of these units come in and have that same set-up. After visually studying the design of the slide area, I wasn't much concerned after that...

rons5er

Jmgrats, I know I may sound a little nit-picky, not trying to tho. If you look at the Big Horns you can see how easy and low cost the solution would be. I know it would be next to impossible for perfect alignment. 1/4 or 3/8 inch wouldn't bother me a bit. A one inch gap is a bit much. Extend the "fixed" piece by one inch (like the BH) and its fixed. That said, do I like our BC? you bet. Would I buy another? You bet. Good Travels

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I believe that is the way they all are. I am looking for a piece of gray plastic to cut a little end piece to glue in the open end of the fender.

bacaye

We had it on the 2010 Big Country and also on our 2011. I asked the same question and they told us that is how it is made. Checked the others on the lot and they had the same thing.

rvn4fun

We have the same thing on our 3450 TS. I am concerned that wind will eventually rip fender off while traveling, with it sticking out so far. Seal is tight though. I am talking with selling dealer right now to see if this is a normal situation.

rons5er

rv4fun, Funny you mentioned that. When I talked to the Heartland rep, he recommended having the slide adusted so the wind couldn't rip it loose. He made no mention of them all being that way. Still feel an adjustment will not fix the problem. I will do what he said to do tho. Will take it back to the dealer first thing this spring. Right now it has been put to bed for the winter! Good Travels