Dish TV remote control programming

k-f-Indiana

We have a Jensen M#JE3208 TV in our 2010 Big Country. We transferred our Dish TV receiver from our home to the 5er when we hit the road this time. However, the remote with the receiver will not program to operate the TV, even with Dish's help. A call to Jensen produced the info that Dish had not contacted them for the info needed to assign codes to these TVs, but that Dish has a "learning" remote that would get the info off of the Jensen remote to operate the TV. But Dish says they charge $400. to upgrade to the "learning" remote. So, we have no satellite TV available to us on the road.

I've read many times that many of you are using Dish on the road. Do any of you have this model TV and able to use it with Dish? If so, how are you getting it to work?

wdk450

Karen:
You can get 3rd party Universal Learning Remotes from local places like Walmart or Target for less than $30 that should do everything you need. You can always keep the original Dish and Jensen remotes around if there are any infrequently used menu items not preprogrammed into the universal remote. Of course, you can also program these functions into the Universal remote using the "Learning" function.
I did an E-Bay search for "Learning Remotes", and here is a results page I got: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...ning+remote+control&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I had a thought a few hours after first posting this, and entered "Dish Network Learning Remote" in an EBay search. Got lots of hits, none of them costing $200. Here is the URL: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=di...control&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Last edited:

SmokeyBare

Karen,

I have a very old or dated Dish Network receiver with a tri-pod set up for the dish. I have the receiver behind the TV in our 07' BigHorn. I don't have a Jensen TV but with our old Olevia TV that came with the RV or the Toshiba TV that I've since replaced the Olveia TV with.

I have always had to use both Remotes, the one that came with the TV... to turn off/on and to control the different modes of "INPUT" or to change the source from Over the Air - Dish Network - or if I'm hooked up to a RV Park's Cable system. The Dish Network Remote to control my Receiver, changing channels or dish set up.

When I need to switch back and forth from over the air signal to dish signal I switch the source by way of the TV's Remote. Once I've got the TV picking up the Dish Signal I then use the Dish Remote to change the dish channels.

Hope this helps

rvn4fun

We have a Toshiba in our 2011 Big Country. When programing the remote, Dish, I was able to get it to turn on the tv but nothing else. No volume, ect. It still works for us as we just use the dish remote to run the channels and use the tv remote if we need to change volume ect.

wdk450

SmokeyBare:
I have a Dish Remote code for the Olevia that seems to work most things (On-OFF and volume) once the TV input is setup with the dish receiver using the Olevia remote. Unfortunately the code is written down on my Dish manual I keep in the trailer, and the trailer is in its storage warehouse. Next time I get over there I will look up the Olevia code for you.
I just did a websearch and came up with Dish Network remote codes 506 or 127 for the Olevia TV's.

SmokeyBare

Thanks for the Code Offer for Olevia TV... but I too like many before me have replaced that TV with a new Toshiba 32 inch.

The Toshiba is far more friendly when we set up after we've moved. The complaint I always had was a poor quality Channel Signal Meter in many TVs today. The Toshiba has a decent signal meter when we set up in a new location. I'm also able to select a channel and view the signal strength even after the initial set up. This really helps when we're parked in areas with weak or low signal strength for "Over the Air" signals. I then can fine tune the antenna to bring in the strongest signal possible.

Now if I only had the new Motorized Sensar® MA1000W TV Antenna with the controls next to my Lazy Boy chair... ahhhh isn't Camping relaxing?!?!?

http://www.winegard.com/mobile/ma1000w.php

wdk450

We have a Toshiba in our 2011 Big Country. When programing the remote, Dish, I was able to get it to turn on the tv but nothing else. No volume, ect. It still works for us as we just use the dish remote to run the channels and use the tv remote if we need to change volume ect.

If you get a learning remote, you can TEACH it the on-off, channel up-down, and the volume up-down functions for your TV. Then when normally viewing (not changing TV inputs, etc.) you can use 1 remote. You can even teach it to run your surround sound system.

Previous posts had EBay links to searches for genuine Dish Network and 3rd party learning remotes.

k-f-Indiana

Thanks for the info everybody. It's helpful to know that we will have to use both remotes. I called Dish again, and the rep went through a bunch of codes, but she wanted me to use the volume control to see if any worked, so I didn't think any worked while I was on the line with her. But, when I hung up and tried to bring up the menu, it worked. Hallelujah!!! We tried the dish here at Mousetail Landing State Park in Tennessee, but couldn't get a clear view for a signal. So, we'll try again when we get somewhere else.
Appreciate the info on the learning remote. If all else fails, we'll try that.
Thanks again & happy camping!

billnsue

We have a 2011 BH and it came with a Sharp Tv and Panasonic surround system, I hate having to use 3 remotes so after attempting several "universal" remotes I broke down and purchased a Logitech Harmony 600 remote from SAMs. It controls the TV, surround and Directv. It will also handle unto 6 different pieces of gear and programs over the Internet. $50 for some sanity!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Billnsue, I also have the Sharp TV and DirecTV. I use the DTV remote for the TV and DTV reciever. You just need to figure out the codes. I have not tried to program the surround system, but I am sure it can be done. TV works great with the DTV remote.

Peace
Dave