Final decision approaching!

I have been lurking all the forums and visited all the local dealers. Our final decision appears to be either a Big Horn or else a Hitchhiker. This week, we'll be going to Dallas where we can visit both brands (so far we've seen neither). Here is what our current thinking is:

Big Horn: really great design and components. Best overall specs, really like the short bed capability front cap. Some concerns about factory QC, and it is a new company. Seems to have a more than average amount of warranty issues. There is a dealer close to our home.

Hitchhiker: Best factory reputation, excellent product finish, great factory support. Terrific owner loyalty, well established company. Closest dealer is 400 miles away.

Any comments to help enlighten us from owners would be appeciated....

John

ChopperBill

John I noticed you asked this same question on the NuWa forum also. Pretty sure most of the responses will be pro for that particular unit. Why don't you throw that question out to the wolves at RV.net? Just a guess but I bet that the BigHorn is outselling the HH right now so it would be very interesting.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I truly know what your going through, I was all set to buy another SunnyBrook after looking at countless other brands. Then someone on the SunnyBrook forum mentioned seeing a HeartLand model at a campground and was impressed, since I had not even heard of this company,I became curious. I was shocked when I found a dealer close and after looking at a few models on site we where sold. SunnyBrook owners are really loyal to brand and and was a rough decision , but fit ,finish,price, floor plan,and not having to sit down figureing options needed on other trailers.
We have not had any major problems since our purchase and love the floor plan. I think if your considering Heartland you need to check out the problems on the trailers built recently not from the first years where we know owners here have had a lot of trouble. I do believe a lot of problems stem from dealers passing the buck instead of fixing things.
Good luck in your choice, just pick the trailer that you looked at and said WOW. Happy Camping---Ken

Tom of Ypsi

John,
Go to the search function and type in quality control and you will get the most recent issues or non issuses as it may be. Quality control is a major reason why Heartland is getting better by the day, Jim Belleti (Admin & owner of this forum) has a good insight on this, and the "Ask the factory" for each Heartland product shows why. Scott Tuttle and others from Heartland will answer your questions to the best of their ability and if they can't you will be directed to someone who can. Also the members of the forum are top notch and can answer most if not all questions you may have.

christianson

katkins are right we look at trailers alot of them in the Bighorn price range and some more expensive ones many different dealers and for the money the qaulity fit and finish is as good as they get we got our trailer in mid oct this year so I think the factory has turned there QC around we have no problems at all heading for welton az. in two weeks for 3months so maybe next spring when we go to the rally we may think different but right now I am very impressed but I think your dealer is important to .

christianson

osims

bsims
John We love our 3055 Bighorn and we have had a few minor problems, but the dealerhas resolved them. I think research on the dealer is equally as important as brands. We had a Keystone 5er before the BH and had several major problems with the unit and the dealer.

Uncle Rog

Howdy, if our BH was a diesel pusher motor home it would be 200k +. I have a large customer base of contractors who have all the toys, with all the bells and whistles and money and time to use them. We have had a few issues, some major, but when I compare notes with some of my friends, our situation is negligible to some of their horror stories. Osims is right about the dealer, makes a big difference. Only you can decide what rig to get, they all have issues, pick the one you like best......Good Luck...

mufflerman

lacking Q.C.

I Have a cyclone that was bought in dec.05 it had cracked by the bed room slide, heartland bought it back and replaced it. this one also has a crack in the same place but only on the inside, I'm concerned that the aluminum header is not welded correctly. along with many more big problems. I agree that heartland has corrected alot of issue's but they still have a ways to go. Q.C. is a big issue that is lacking at heartland. We spend big $$ on our rv's, I for one don't what a repaired trailer for a new price.
Heartland has great floorplans & idea's but poor craftsmanship,

phranc

I've had a few problems too.. toilet seal leaking (Dometic problem) ,Flex strap broken(Lippert problem),Reefer not cooling properly(another Dometic problem).See the pattern ? Heartland manufactures a perfectly good and well engineered RV,at an attractive price point and their suppliers have a problem and Heartland has to take the flak.And ,Oh yeah,Heartland took care of any all issues and my dealer is pleased and so am I....You most likely can't find a better RV for the money..

mufflerman

I understand that the suppliers have issue's also, but that dosent explain the cabinets not attached to the wall, the slide out rubbing int. wall, kithen cabinet coming apart, floor gets soaking wet when roads are wet, mismatched wheels, no vent cap installed on roof, shower leaks, no heat to bedroom, staples showing on rear ext. filon, gen not hooked up, rear stab jack not wired, shall I go on? Heartland does say they will take care of these problems but like I said before I wanted to buy a new rv not a refurbished one.

jeffsRV

Considering a BigHorn...

Hi Guys-

my wife and i are debating a Big Horn versus a Montana. Would love to hear some thoughts around strengths of the BigHorna and where we should be careful. I have heard (and seen here) some questions around build quality of Heartland. Would love to hear your thoughts on any aspect of your heartland experience. Are people generally happy with their BH? any areas of particular strength? and areas of particular concern? etc...

Thanks

Jeff S

mufflerman

I am currently dealing with heartland on my cyclone with way to many problems (BIG PROBLEMS), I do know my dealer had a phone conferense yesterday with Scott & David from heartland, alot of issue's had been discussed. There sideouts have been leaking when towed in rain, heartland dosen't want to replace the molded road kill water soaked carpets & pad (mine and other customer's) just clean them! I have VERY little heat in bedroom, And the Galley linolium gets very warm where theres no register? The heat ducts are not taped, Heartland first said this to put heat down to holding tanks (NOT) and now they are retracking that saying the ducts need to be sealed (REALLY?) Not to mention the interior crack above the bed room slide. Same reason heartland bought back the first unit ( note; first unit cracked inside & out) And by the way when the unit was delivered to the dealer Te gen was not connected, rear stab jacks not wired (not even a switch), rear clearence lights no hooked up, The list go's on. Quality control is not good at heartland. I've owned many r.v.'s and never had some much heartache than with heartland
That's my story. Good luck.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
We have a Bighorn 3055rl, It is an early model off the line. Yes we have had problems. Most of the things are small items, that were easily fixed. We have had a few larger problems and they are now fixed. I have seen newer models and they are a lot better. Going over them with the same critical eye that I went over ours, there not very many things I could find wrong.
I have looked at others, they have problems too.
The one thing that stands out is the Heartland is standing behind thier product.
A good dealer is also nessesary. After tlaking to the service manager at my dealership, all things are being done to make our 3055rl right.
I would buy another Bighorn in a minute!!

jwb187

Ordered new 3055RL today!!!

Well, I made the plunge today, ordered a new 3055RL, according to my dealer the factory is supposed to have it made and delivered to the dealership on February 10. That is three weeks, I hope that comes to pass, but I have my doubts. I ordered almost every option offered including dual pane windows, they offered them to me at dealers cost...so I decided that might put a stop to condensation that has been prevalent in prior units I have owned. Now a question....am I supposed to change my signature and add the last four of my VIN number when I take possession??? I hope I made the right decision in choosing Heartland RV's and especially the Big Horn. I have looked at many 5'ers over the past month, including Jayco Eagles and Designers, FR Sandpiper, Keystone Challenger and Everest....looks to me like the Big Horn has it over all those hands down.:D:D:D

jbeletti

jwb187,

Congratulations on ordering the Bighorn. You'll love it! Regarding changing your sig to include the last 4 of your VIN - purely optional but it is encouraged.

Also, consider the rally!

nscaler2

jwb187 said:
Well, I made the plunge today, ordered a new 3055RL, according to my dealer the factory is supposed to have it made and delivered to the dealership on February 10. That is three weeks, I hope that comes to pass, but I have my doubts. I ordered almost every option offered including dual pane windows, they offered them to me at dealers cost...so I decided that might put a stop to condensation that has been prevalent in prior units I have owned. Now a question....am I supposed to change my signature and add the last four of my VIN number when I take possession??? I hope I made the right decision in choosing Heartland RV's and especially the Big Horn. I have looked at many 5'ers over the past month, including Jayco Eagles and Designers, FR Sandpiper, Keystone Challenger and Everest....looks to me like the Big Horn has it over all those hands down.:D:D:D

Congratulations!! I live in Missouri also, just curious, which dealer did you buy your Bighorn from?

jwb187

Hi Tom,

We live in Southeast Missouri and purchased our Big Horn 3055RL from Jerry Willis RV in Dexter, Missouri. We have been looking for 5'ers for some time now and just in the last month have seen the Heartland line of rv's. We have done quite a bit of research and determined that for the price they seem to be the best Fifth wheel we have seen. Don't actually get our hands on it until February but now am really anxious about getting it. We have at least three dealers down here within a hundred miles of our residence (that is Heartland) not all are selling the Big Horn...JW

Uncle Rog

Good luck with the new rig! There are a couple of sites that give / offer and even sell info / tapes on how to perform an in depth PDI. I wish that we had spent a little more time testing systems prior to our "drive off". We were told at the time that HL doesn't have a stock spare tire! Something obvious to look for. Good luck and happy trails!

J

Jim_1899

Jwb187,

We live in St Peters, Missouri which is in St Charles County. My daughter lives in close to you, in Patton. We go down to the St. Francis River while visiting her and its spectacular, we were there last weekend.

Jim & Crystal Leach

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Congrats on ordering your new 5th wheel. I know you'll enjoy it. We've had ours for 6 month now and have had some minor issues but still hands down the best rig for the money.