New TV

olcoon

I'm just wondering how much this RV expirence is going to cost me. We took delivery of our first ever RV last April. Went to Colorado for a month in Sept. & the ol gas Chevy had a hard time with Monarch Pass. We just bought a 2010 Dodge Big Horn 6.7L Cummins. Will it end soon? NO WE AREN'T GOING TO BUY A NEW BIG HORN 5er to match the truck! I think this truck should handle Monarch Pass pretty well.

jbeletti

Good one Roy and Sally. The new truck out to do you well with the Elk Ridge. Hopefully Santa won't bring you a bigger 5th wheel. If he does, he better bring a truck too :)

I went over Monarch Pass (2 miles high) in May of this year. Really cool. Snow and all. I was in a rental car on my way to the CO rally. Glad I was not pulling an RV. The drive from Colorado Springs to Gunnison was amazing.

Jim

skyguy

Yes, I would rate Monarch as one of the more difficult passes in Colorado, although maybe not the most. Wolf Creek is pretty tricky, I smoked my brakes there years ago. Hoosier is pretty steep on the north side with several tight switchbacks. Back in our boating days, I had a small metal brace made that would keep the brakes OFF on the boat trailer, and I would travel the switchback section in low gear going down, taking it slow and easy, then pull off and remove the plate. Otherwise the brakes would be smoking by the second switchback!

Then there is Independence, going to Aspen. Closed in the winter, after the first major snowfall. NO trailers allowed, turns too tight, one section way too narrow.

Wiki has a list of Colorado passes , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mountain_passes_of_Colorado

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just like a boat being a hole in the water you pour money into an RV is a dark spot on the highway you pour money into. Seems like there is always a new gadget coming out we just have to have so it never ends. But isn't it fun? LOL

wdk450

NO WE AREN'T GOING TO BUY A NEW BIG HORN 5er to match the truck!

THE DODGE RAM TRUCK ALREADY MATCHES ANY BIGHORN!!!

A Dodge Ram Truck with that Ram hood ornament and Ram hubcaps is a perfect match to the Bighorn with that big Bighorn Ram front cap decal!!! Heck, Heartland ought to set-up a co-branding discount deal with Dodge!

GOTTOYS

Congrats on the new RAM. I'm liking mine a lot. I was thinking the other day how the ram's head hood ornament off my 1990 would look good on it. If I could find one..Don

Two Hands

We have been over Monarch Pass two, three, maybe four times in both directions and have never had a problem with our rig. I shouldn't say that because when we were westbound up the pass last month the passenger of a vehicle passing us made an opening motion at us with his hands. We quickly pulled over and found I had failed to close the door on the truck's fuel tank. That's the kind of problem we don't mind having.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Ah, I thought I was going to hear about your new Samsung!

Me too. i finally open the thread and here is a new ram. Congrats on the new ride. I think you are right about not buying a Big Horn to match the truck. Just go straight to the Landmark and put a picture of a ram on it.

Crumgater

Hi Roy & Sally,
We're right there with you.

Our ol' gas Ford ('95 F250) wasn't making the grade with our new 2011 Elk Ridge 29RKS, either. We found an '08 F350 Diesel that we're hoping will be all we need for many moons to come.