Remington 700

porthole

Retired
Anyone see the news report on this last night? First I heard about it but apparently there is a serious issue with the 700 model firring when not expected. Some of the videos were disturbing. One of a PO just touching the bolt after a mis-fire and the round firing.

porthole

Retired
Dave, I don't even know what channel it was on. My wife saw it and set my DVR for it. But apparently the lawsuits are well into hundreds and 3 class actions are in the works. There have been several fatalities involved.

There are plenty of links for it.

The special last night though had video of the misfiring. And most of those videos were either police or military. One range officer goes as far as calling it a "Remington moment" Another claimed as many as 2 out of 20 rounds misfire.

http://www.google.com/search?source...=1T4ADBF_enUS306US306&q=remington+700+misfire

wdk450

Duane, any news links or more info like what model years?

Peace
Dave

Dave:

I saw the news piece and was disturbed to hear reported that Remington had a redesign done in 1948, but it was not put into production.

hart1369

this is not the first time i've heard of this. i remember something from the late 80's or early 90's of the same thing happening ithought there was a recall and design change on the bolt or safty not real sure

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Remington did have a recall and design change on the bolt/safety a few years ago. I took mine to local gunsmith and the fix was done. Prior to the fix you had to take the safety off to unload the magazine by using the bolt to eject shells. Now you are able to leave the safety on and work the bolt to empty the chamber and magazine.

wdk450

Remington did have a recall and design change on the bolt/safety a few years ago. I took mine to local gunsmith and the fix was done. Prior to the fix you had to take the safety off to unload the magazine by using the bolt to eject shells. Now you are able to leave the safety on and work the bolt to empty the chamber and magazine.

Michael:
I don't know who is right about a trigger mechanism recall, but here is a quote from one of the CNBC articles:

Remington came closest to launching a recall in 2002, as part of a settlement with the family of Gus Barber, the nine-year-old Montana boy killed when his mother’s Remington 700 went off. Twenty years earlier, in 1982, Remington had done away with the feature that required the user to switch off the safety in order to unload the gun—a common source of inadvertent discharges, including the one that killed Gus Barber. But Remington had not publicized the change, so customers like Barbara Barber were unaware that an alternative mechanism was available.
Under the settlement, Remington agreed to launch a “safety modification program”—the company stopped short of calling it a recall—allowing owners of pre-1982 Remingtons to have their rifles modified, for a $20 fee, so the gun could be unloaded with the safety on.
remington_badge.jpg

“The Barber family knows it has our deepest sympathy,” Remington said in its press release.
The company would not actually change the firing mechanism until 2007, and even then, it did not institute a recall of the Walker trigger models it had been selling for nearly 60 years.
Remington calls the new trigger system the X-Mark Pro. Plaintiffs’ experts who have examined it say the system includes the blocking mechanism originally proposed by Mike Walker (Remington design engineer - WDK) in 1948. The X-Mark Pro also does away with the controversial trigger connector. A source close to Remington confirms the trigger connector was removed because it had become the focus of so many lawsuits.
But because Remington still contends the old Walker trigger is safe, it continues to use it in rifles including the current version of the Remington 770, as well as earlier 700 series models still sold by retailers worldwide.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I watched this special last night also. I was very surprised to hear of this problem and Remington's response. I have had no problems with my 700 purchased 3 years ago but you still have to move the safety to fire to enable the bolt to be moved. I will be extra carefull in the future after seeing this info.

buckeyebob

okay,i am probably gonna be accused of being insensitive but how do people shoot people when unloading a gun?aim it at the ground or in the air .i was hunting in pennsylvania40 years ago and the old guy who owned the cabin was working the lever on his old style 300 savage right behind me in the yard.that gun went off 2 feet behind me!!!!!!!real glad he had the muzzle skyward.safeteys are a mechanical device that can fail,humans can make mistakes,all guns are always loaded .beat this into your kids at an early age,its the other peoples kids ya gotta worry about.some of them start hunting at 18 or so with no early guidance from nonhunting parents and are downright dangerous.sorry i rambled on, buckeyebob

wdk450

okay,i am probably gonna be accused of being insensitive but how do people shoot people when unloading a gun?aim it at the ground or in the air .i was hunting in pennsylvania40 years ago and the old guy who owned the cabin was working the lever on his old style 300 savage right behind me in the yard.that gun went off 2 feet behind me!!!!!!!real glad he had the muzzle skyward.safeteys are a mechanical device that can fail,humans can make mistakes,all guns are always loaded .beat this into your kids at an early age,its the other peoples kids ya gotta worry about.some of them start hunting at 18 or so with no early guidance from nonhunting parents and are downright dangerous.sorry i rambled on, buckeyebob

BuckeyeBob:
One of Remington's responses to all of the problems since 1946 was to establish and promote something like "The 10 Commandments of Gun Safety" while not spending the 5 1/2 cents to fix the faulty firing mechanism.
The lady who shot her 9 year old son while engaging the safety, had her rifle pointed somewhat downward and away from their family group - unfortunately the kid went running into the gun's line of fire as it went off.