lubing the wet bolts

Bobby A

Tried to lube the fittings on the wet bolts for the first time after the install last spring. I found it very diffacult because the fittings are on the outside so the tire is in the way. Is this the normal install ?? I would think that the fittings should be on the inside so its a strait shot for a greese gun to lube the fittings, I realize I would have to crawl under the coach to do this but I would rather do that than not being able to greese these fittings without taking off the tire. What am I missing ?? someone please tell me how to greese these fittings.
Thanks
Bobby A

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bobby, I don't know what is a normal install but my zerks are on the inside. But, all is not lost. You can get a 90 degree elbow for your grease gun and that will work for you. I just looked at mine and you should have plenty of room to do it that way.

Peace
Dave

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I think its easier to install the way they installed yours. I did my own install and put them so they were installed inside not to bad to get to for what few times they need greased. I would take a look , see if you can change the zerks to angled ones and see if you could get to them.......Kenny

Bobby A

Bobby, I don't know what is a normal install but my zerks are on the inside. But, all is not lost. You can get a 90 degree elbow for your grease gun and that will work for you. I just looked at mine and you should have plenty of room to do it that way.

Peace
Dave

Thanks guys for your quick reply, I am in the hills of Ky. getting ready to go through the Jelico mountains on Saturday. This 90 degree elbow you speek of Dave, is that something a normal auto parts should have ?? Does it go on the end of the greese gun ?? to give me that angle that I need ??

thanks again

Bobby A

I think its easier to install the way they installed yours. I did my own install and put them so they were installed inside not to bad to get to for what few times they need greased. I would take a look , see if you can change the zerks to angled ones and see if you could get to them.......Kenny

How often are you supposed to greese these fitting anyway ?? Thanks Kenny

katkens

I grease mine twice a year , not sure of recommended intervals from the various companies. I changed a few of my zerks to 90 degree ones to make it easier , most any auto parts places should have them......Kenny

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys for your quick reply, I am in the hills of Ky. getting ready to go through the Jelico mountains on Saturday. This 90 degree elbow you speek of Dave, is that something a normal auto parts should have ?? Does it go on the end of the greese gun ?? to give me that angle that I need ??

thanks again

Yes, yes and yes. And if you don't have one, a flexable hose on the end of your grease gun is a good thing to have.

Peace
Dave

Bobby A

Thanks guys, I will be heading to find a auto parts right after breakfast, gotta go, breakfast is ready blueberry pancakes, gotta go !! will post back later.
Thanks again
Bobby A

Bobby A

One more thing guys, its in the back of my mind that I remember someone on this forum said that you have to have the weight off the axles to lube the fittings ?? Is this correct ?? do you really need to jack the trailer up to lube the fittings ??? Sorry for so many questions
Thanks,
Bobby A

katkens

One more thing guys, its in the back of my mind that I remember someone on this forum said that you have to have the weight off the axles to lube the fittings ?? Is this correct ?? do you really need to jack the trailer up to lube the fittings ??? Sorry for so many questions
Thanks,
Bobby A

Just shoot some grease to it, no matter what position it is in there will be pressure on one side or the other of the bearing anyway. Its so close of tolerance that it won't take much grease anyway........Kenny

Bobby A

Just shoot some grease to it, no matter what position it is in there will be pressure on one side or the other of the bearing anyway. Its so close of tolerance that it won't take much grease anyway........Kenny
Thanks Kenny,
Heading to the auto parts now. I will post back later. Have a good day.
Bobby A

aatauses

HI Bobby,
You have two options----change the zerk fittings to a 90 or buy a 90 grease fitting for your grease gun. If you look around in the auto store you should be able to find a fitting for your grease gun that will swivel to all degrees.
By the way my fitting are also on the outside.
Still having issues with my CP too---
al

Bobby A

I found the 90 degree elbow and the fittings you all were talking about. I went with the elbow because there were different size fittings and I didn't know what size to get. The 90 degree elbow was the ticket, got back home and did it in less than 10 minutes, had so much time left over I crawled under the coach and checked the torque on the U-bolts.
Thanks everyone for your input, especially Dave and Kenny for the quick reply to my Thread this morning.

DougS

Doug S
For those of you that have installed wet bolts, did you also replace the bushings? If you replaced the bushings, did you use nylon or brass bushings?

Thanks,
DougS

jnbhobe

For those of you that have installed wet bolts, did you also replace the bushings? If you replaced the bushings, did you use nylon or brass bushings?

Thanks,
DougS
The right way to do it is to use brass, I don't know of anyone who has left the nylon bushings in, but I imagine some one would try to use them.

scotty

Thanks,
DougS

I went with the MOR/Ryde kit. It came with bronze bushing and much heavier shackle brackets. Overall kit was good. if interested google MOR/Ryde, get number. Call and ask for Gary. Ask him to send better shackle nuts. That was the only issues I had, and I just used the old nuts. The ones in the kit are of low quality , otherwise I am well pleased with the kit.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Someon mentioned "Installing my own". Recommendations on where to order the wet bolts from? I would also like to do my own installation.

MC9

There are several threads on the wet bolt installation including my own. My Sundance had Equa-flex so, I ordered the kit from them (trail-air). Cheaper than Mor-ryde.