another front landing gear question

Bobby A

I have seen so many posts of landing gear issues I might be getting a little gun shy of my own.

I heard an unusual noise while extending the landing gear 2 days ago, everything worked fine, maybe a little slow, but that is normal. I went out this evening and looked at the motor in the front storage compartment and I was able to wiggle it, I wouldn't say it was lose lose, but it diffently wasn't tight. Is this normal ?? I opened up the door where the hydrolics are and kinda wiggled the black plastic thing that the motor bolts onto, I guess that is the gear?? (not sure of the termology) and of course I was able to wiggle that as well, didn't appear there was any cracks or damage to the black plastic housing. Need a little help hear, I know absolutly nothing about front landing gear and how to work on it if needed. Is there anything I should be concerned of ??
Thanks in advance
Bobby A

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bobby, there is a shaft that connects the left front leg to the right leg. This shaft is held to the two legs by a bolt on each end of the shaft. This bold is known to come loose now and then. If it comes loose the bolt will rub on something and make a noise. Check to be sure the nut is tight on the bolt.
The motor and gearobox does move.

Peace
Dave

Bobby A

Thanks Dave and Bill, we are heading out as we speek, I will check the bolts you mentioned when I stop this evening. I can always count on you guys for quick information.
Thanks so much,
Bobby A

Gary521

Just to add. It is normal for the motor and transmission to be a bit wobbley. You do not need the strap. Still check all the bolts for looseness but do not worry about the wobble. I have taken these electric landing gear apart on many occasions ( mine and others ). The main problem is that the motor is underpowered and a second motor is the best solution. The shaft ( jack shaft ) that raises and lowers the leg needs to be lubricated. There are ways to do this.