Exterior Wall Crack

scotty

:confused: Beggining to worry about this unit. After my first trip out I came back with a small split in the outside wall under the overhang. :mad: Fixed that by sealing crack and covering area with diamond plate. Now, after taking BH from Jersey to Florida for the winter have about a 8" split in the wall at the forward upper corner of the OD (Big slide).:mad::mad: Sorry, don't have picture and I'm back in Jersey. Plan to work on it next fall when I return to Florida for good. Just wondering, could that slide be out of adjustment and applying too much pressure against the wall, or has something else caused it.? Also, when I look just inside the door up where two sheets of paneling fit it appears that there is a slight seperation at that point as well. Slide seems to work smooth. I purchased unit used and it did have a slight bludge in that area but no tears. Been living in it and only cycled slides about -4-times. There also is a slight crack at the upper rear corner on each of the other two slides. Temperarily, I covered the areas with caulk to prevent water intrusion and delamination. Also, what method would be best used to fix the splits and make them the most unnoticeable? The big slide is by far the worst. I love this unit and just bought it a year ago so not in position, nor do I want to sell it, just fix it.

Northern Virginia
Everybody really loves to see pics...for me, it's hard to give advice when your not a 100% sure what your talking about. If someone in FLA can snap a pic it would help a lot.

John

Tom of Ypsi

Sounds like broken welds in the frame. Contact Jim Fenner at the factory to see if you can get some help. If the frame has broken welds all the caulking in the world will not help.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We had the same problem with broken welds but the factory was able to fix it. Jim Fenner is very familiar with these problems.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Here is a thread you might read Thread on problem.

As stated above you might contact Jim Finner to see where you can get some help. Don't try repairing it your self. Taping and calking will not help. Your front frame is flexing. It happened on a lot of the older Bighorns.

BC

jimtoo

But don't get your hopes up to much... it is an 06 year model and bought used. But have your VIN ready if you call.

scotty

Sounds like broken welds in the frame. Contact Jim Fenner at the factory to see if you can get some help. If the frame has broken welds all the caulking in the world will not help.

Agree with the caulking. Just put that on for now to seal it. It will be sitting in Florida (storage) for another year. Will attempt to get pictures when I go down in November, then call Jim. Agree, not expecting warranty, just advice on how ot fix. This is a shame and I got to tell you, this is my 6th RV and never had these sort of problems. Doesn't speak well for Heartland construction.

scotty

Here is a thread you might read Thread on problem.

As stated above you might contact Jim Finner to see where you can get some help. Don't try repairing it your self. Taping and calking will not help. Your front frame is flexing. It happened on a lot of the older Bighorns.

BC

Somewhat confused. I've read about the issue where there's been problems in the area of the overhang, even on a couple of newer models, causing the front frame to flex. I have no problems there. No seperation between molding and panels when hooked up, no indications of excessive movement in the area of the hitch. In fact I had more movement with my other 5er in the hitch area. The front split I think was caused from delamination (there is some space between front storage tray and front frame, allowing water to spray up and in that area). My problem is way back by the door. The split is above the big slide right behind and above the door. Like I said there was a slight buldge in that area, but no split when I purchased the unit. Towed twice with no issues, until now. The funny think is then two times I towed she was heavy, 13,800. This time she was empty 12,400.

We have a 2009 Bighorn 3600. We left Missouri last Thursday for the Rio Grande Valley. Stopped for fuel Friday afternoon and while inspecting the coach, I noticed this crack. Now that we are here, it is actually a little bit longer. I haven't taken another picture but will. Scotty, does this look like the crack you are looking at? As you can see, it is right at the bottom left corner below the bedroom slide. Except for the crack, I can see no other change in the wall. Is this due, possibly, to the frame separating or cracking as you talked about? Any advise? We are the original owner and we took delivery October 14, so it is just two years old. 2010_1020newcamera0079.jpg

Jarhead

USMC Phantom Phixer
To me, that crack looks like there's a serious problem with frame welding/assembly. You will have to remove the panelling underneath the overhang as I don't think you be able to see much of the frame from the forward storage compartment. Repairing that crack in the gelcoat/fiberglass will also be quite a chore. I'm sorry to see you're in this situation. Maybe Hartland can advise and or help?????

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Celebritygreen, if your rig is two weeks old, call your dealer and send him pictures.

Peace
Dave

scotty

That's it, except of course mine is located at the upper right hand corner of the big slide, and runs upward at about a 20 degree angle toward the roof. No other noticable issues.