NC Mountains

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Our friends from the forum,Roy and Sarah Andes(Randes) are here with us for the weekend.We back our camper into the grass and their Bighorn is sitting on our pad behind the house.First time we have met them face to face. We have had a great time.We took them up on the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday and the leaves were beautiful.It was a beautiful cool day.I strongly recommend you get out and enjoy the fall colors.We took them to Mast General Store near Boone,NC and ended up at Cracker Barrel in Hickory,NC for dinner.We had a great day.

supernan1414

Great sounds like you had a great weekend. I will be making our first visit to your state this April for the eastern regional rally. We have traveled down I-95 to Florida several times but all you see is trees on that route. Tentatively we plan to leave here around March 25th and go to Myrtle Beach for a few weeks then over to Cherokee for 10 days to 2 weeks. My brother has built a new home in the mountains near Murphy, NC and plan to spend some time with them being we will be in the area.

Is the Blue Ridge Parkway restricted for pulling the camper? Would like to see that and could possible do that on the way home but if it is not allowed or recommended we can make a day trip as we will have days that we will be looking for something to do. My husband has been to Boone several times, the company he retired from built laminated rafters for Billy Grahams sons Religious compond many years ago. He delivered them as he was thier senior over sized truck driver. We are looking forward to this trip, has been several years since we took a winter trip.

porthole

Retired
So close and you didn't take them to Grandfather Mountain?

Attachments

• D30_7761_b.JPG
    D30_7761_b.JPG
    524.1 KB · Views: 51

trdeal

Larry and Deb,Pictures to come.We looked at them on the computer tonight and we got some great ones.

Bill and Barbara,where will you be staying in Myrtle Beach next March? We really enjoy Ocean Lakes cg.
The Blue Ridge parkway is open to campers.The only problem would be the hight of the tunnels.One point of interest along the Parkway is the Lin Cove Via Duct.It is near Blowing Rock/ Boone,NC.It really is an amazing thing to see and to drive across.

Duane and Debbie, We took our friends to see the Lin Cove Via Duct and then back to Mast General store. But along the way we did get an excellent picture of Grandfather Mountain from a distance.I think that this is the first time I have seen the features of a mans face so clearly.We could plainly see his beard,mouth,nose, and forehead.We really do live in a beautiful part of the country.

supernan1414

Terry and Renee I think I am leaning towards Ocean Lakes. We have only been to Myrtle beach 3 times. First time was over thirty years ago, we took our last family vaction in our first camper. It was a 13 ft. truck camper on a 350 Ford truck. We had 1 kid in collage, 1 in high school and 1 in grade school. That trip we stayed at Pirateland. Second time (about 20 years ago)we had a conversion van, drove down and met our daughter and 2 grand kids, stayed a Crown Reef hotel. Last time with our first fifth wheel and stayed at Pirate land again.

I want a indoor pool as I do water aerobics 3 times a week, I had open heart surgery 2 years ago and try to keep up on the exercise. The observation deck looks inviting, looks like the campground has a lot to offer.

I have been doing some research on the blue ridge parkway, I haven't convinced Bill to come home that way yet. He likes the interstate, I did find a listing of the clearance of all the tunnels and bridges.

trdeal

Terry and Renee I think I am leaning towards Ocean Lakes. We have only been to Myrtle beach 3 times. First time was over thirty years ago, we took our last family vaction in our first camper. It was a 13 ft. truck camper on a 350 Ford truck. We had 1 kid in collage, 1 in high school and 1 in grade school. That trip we stayed at Pirateland. Second time (about 20 years ago)we had a conversion van, drove down and met our daughter and 2 grand kids, stayed a Crown Reef hotel. Last time with our first fifth wheel and stayed at Pirate land again.

I want a indoor pool as I do water aerobics 3 times a week, I had open heart surgery 2 years ago and try to keep up on the exercise. The observation deck looks inviting, looks like the campground has a lot to offer.

I have been doing some research on the blue ridge parkway, I haven't convinced Bill to come home that way yet. He likes the interstate, I did find a listing of the clearance of all the tunnels and bridges.
We love Ocean Lakes.We have been staying there for years.Every year at the 4th of July we are there with 6 other families and their families and friends.Four of the families camp and the other two rent houses.We always have a great time.We have never stayed at the other cgs in the area but we have ridden through them. I guess I am like Bill,I like the interstate driving.but I can your point also.The parkway is a beautiful drive.

trdeal

Roy and Sarah visit 10-22-2010  thru 10-25-2010 Mountains 064.jpgRoy and Sarah visit 10-22-2010  thru 10-25-2010 Mountains 094.jpgAs promised here are a few pictures. Grandfather Mountain and the Linn Cove Via DuctRoy and Sarah visit 10-22-2010  thru 10-25-2010 Mountains 043.jpg

Attachments

• Roy and Sarah visit 10-22-2010  thru 10-25-2010 Mountains 041.jpg
    Roy and Sarah visit 10-22-2010 thru 10-25-2010 Mountains 041.jpg
    788.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

supernan1414

Thank You nice pictures. We are looking forward to our spring trip. I have been looking at Myrtle Beach Travel Park as a possibility for our 3 weeks in Myrdle Beach. Looks like it has more for the older set. They have water aerobic 5 mornings, organized bike rides after noons, some soup and sandwich pot luck lunches, afternoon bingo at a Crick a fill and more. Then we will head over to Cherokee for 2 weeks. Anyone ever stay at this campground ??????

trdeal

Thank You nice pictures. We are looking forward to our spring trip. I have been looking at Myrtle Beach Travel Park as a possibility for our 3 weeks in Myrdle Beach. Looks like it has more for the older set. They have water aerobic 5 mornings, organized bike rides after noons, some soup and sandwich pot luck lunches, afternoon bingo at a Crick a fill and more. Then we will head over to Cherokee for 2 weeks. Anyone ever stay at this campground ??????
My mother and father in law have and they like it.Also Southernights believe that SouthernNights from this forum has and they like it.We have never stayed there but have driven by. It is close to shopping,dining and fuel.The best part is a Cold Stone Creamry is near by.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Hi supernan,
As Terry said we have camped at Myrtle Beach Travel Park many times.

When we want the ocean and cant get into Huntington Beach state park, that is where we go. We always get a lake site. It is a back in site and the size of the site is much larger than the pull throughs. The veiw out of the back window is beautiful looking out at the lake.

The pools are well kept. They also have a heated indoor pool. Not sure how often they have aerobics in the winter. It might be year round. I know Sam has gone to them several times during the summer. I opt for the lazy river. Not really into anything but floating:D

If you like shopping, there is a HUGE Tanger outlet mall less than a mile away. You will pass it on the way in. There is alo a Bass Pro shop and a place called Boardwalk all within a couple of miles.

The park has a much smaller feel to it than OL or Pirateland IMO.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
We out here in "mountain" country call the Tetons and the Sawtooths "mountains}" all the rest we refer to as HILLS.

porthole

Retired
We out here in "mountain" country call the Tetons and the Sawtooths "mountains}" all the rest we refer to as HILLS.

yeah yeah yeah - well here in Jersey we have the Atlantic Highlands, the highest point on the east coast south of Maine!