Medicare Coverage

wesreed

Since a lot of our members are in the same boat that I am, I was wondering if anyone has any upfront knowledge that would help in making a Medicare selection. I am just enrolling for the first time and I'm confused as to how it works since I intend to register in Oregon but want to become a snowbird being away from home for at least 4 to 6 months of the year. I can't find any information on that scenario in the Medicare Handbook.

If anyone can enlighten me on this situation, I would really appreciate it.:confused::confused:

cjbearden

Visitor
We have A&B coverage plus a secondary insurance through State of Arkansas which covers our prescriptions. We have full-timed for two years now without any problem getting medical assistance wherever we go. Find doctors who accept medicare and most likely the secondary insurance will also pay some toward the bills. We have had very little out-of-pocket expense. My husband is Type II diabetic and I have Fibromyalgia in addition to other issues. We both require certain pain meds that make it necessary for us to stay in contact with doctors. Usually your Medicare Handbook will have links in the back of the booklet to local providers of secondary coverage with some great packages at a cost that isn't too outrageous. Best wishes for your retirement.

wesreed

Thank you so much for help, it is greatly appreciated. I hope we can find a program in Oregon that will be as compassionate ;-)

I see that you made the Goshen Rally in 2009. We were there also and are hoping to be able to attend again in 2011. Maybe we will be able to connect there.

Thanks again for your reply

branson4020

Icantre Member
We are Oregon residents and just went through this process. We had exactly the same concerns about coverage while traveling or snowbirding. We found it most helpful to sit down with a human being (sales rep) who could answer our questions. We ended up with A&B plus D and a supplement. The lower-cost "Advantage" plans did not seem to provide the travel flexibility we were looking for. In any case, Oregon has no state sponsored plan, so you're strictly shopping in the commercial insurance market. Many folks start by checking out the AARP endorsed plans.

grizzlygiant

While we are not in general AARP fans, we have had their supplamental insurance for 13 nyears now. We travel extensively and have had our share of medical care, never with the slightest problem (money-wise) and not a dime out of pocket (except for the premiums).

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I am now in the same boat as Wes. Got about 2 months to decide which plan is the best.

Gary, (Grizz), I dont care for AARP either....but.

I noticed that not a soul named names for who has the best for the least $$$ PART'S A-B and D. This has been my main question. I'm staying tuned to this thread.

jnbhobe

Well here I am in the same boat as Bob. I go on Medicare 12/1, For this year I am taking a supplament for GE retires for $110 mo,It is also the same company that AARP uses. It picks up everything Medicare doesn't and I keep the same perscription plan I have now. We'll see what happens at least I only have to stay with this plan for a year. There are also 3 other plans available from $130 to $155. JON

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Wife and I are both on Medicare. We do no have the perscription part D because we have supplemental through my employer. Have to keep a document on both of us to let SSI know that we are in a drug plan.

So far I have had no problem with coverage. I went to a quick care for my elbow and had no problems.

If you do not have supplemental coverage from a previous employer with drug coverage you should take part D. But as said above go to the SSI and talk to them. They will assist you.

BC

GOTTOYS

Contact some of the insurance companies in your area. Each State is a little different as some of the HMOs or companies that offer coverage are somewhat regional. Most all of them will have info packets they will send out, reps you can call and talk to and many have group meetings to explain their plans. It's really not difficult. Once you sign up you are not stuck with them for life, you can change or upgrade or downgrade plans each year if you like. Good luck..Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Check out any associations you may belong to. Some have supplemental plans at attractive group rates.