Shower

Softballdad

Has anyone had their shower pull away from the wall? Returned home from last trip and noticed it had come loose. Is this an easy repair?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have never heard of anything like this in the 4 plus years I've been a forum member. How about some pictures? How far has it come from the wall. One side, both sides???

Softballdad

These are the best photos I could get of the shower pulled away from the wall.

Attachments

• BH shower 003.jpg
    BH shower 003.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 57
  • BH shower 004.jpg
    BH shower 004.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 61

2010augusta

oh, so the glass and frame has pulled away from the fiberglass enclosure. the metal frame should be able to be disassembled and the "track" needs to be remounted and sealed and then the rest of the frame can be remounted. so not be too hard of a job.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
SBdad, I think what I see is the shower surround pulling away from the fiberglass shower. Is this correct? While I can't explain what happened to cause that, it should be an easy fix. At the same time you should be able to repair any leaks you may have had.

The enclosure is 3 panels plus the top rail and the 2 channels that attach to the shower stall. Begin by removing every screw you can find. 2 or 4 hold the side panels to the floor and there area several holding each panel to the wall channel and the door panel. Once all the pieces are removed, clean/remove all the caulk from everything.

Same goes with the shower stall where the panels attach to the bottom. On the wall channels, the bottom corners are square but the shower stall is radiused. Cut away the bottom corner of each channel so it fits the radiused corner better. It's then easier to get a good seal when you caulk. You will need to drill new holes to attach the side channels because the old ones must have stripped out somehow. I would use all new stainless steel sheet metal screws.

Once you re-attach the side channels, put a bead of silicone on the shower floor area where the walls will sit. The two side panels and door frame can go back in place at the same time. You will need some help with this. It's a bit heavy and awkward. Basically what your doing is removing, cleaning and re-assembling the whole unit with new screws in different locations. Pre-drill the fiberglass or it will crack & split.

I'll attach a few picture of when I did mine. Mine didn't pull away though. I did this to stop the leakage.

Attachments

• newly radiused corner.JPG
    newly radiused corner.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 34
  • corner fitment.JPG
    corner fitment.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Left side base.JPG
    Left side base.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Right side base.JPG
    Right side base.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 35

Softballdad

Just returned from travel for work. Completed the shower repair and it's not leaking. I added more screws securing the frame to the wall on both ends, so it shouldn't pull away at all. Thanks for the input that helped me complete this task.