Fresh water pump

Hi all,

I have another question. Last weekend we filled the fresh water tank for the first time and once we turned the pump on I was surprised to hear it rumbling everytime we turned on a faucet or flushed. It's rather loud and I was curious if this is normal.

The cold water pipe was vibrating a lot so DH bought some foam pipe cover and I crawled under there and got it on a couple of key places, but it seems the pump itself still does a lot of vibrating.

Anyone else have this happening?

Thanks for looking!

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
We can hear ours cycling when we first turn it on to build pressure and as we use it but I wouldn't describe it as loud.

Nope, ours is definitely loud...not only when it's cycling. You can feel the vibration of the pump through the floor as well. There is no way to quietly flush and not wake everyone up.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
First, make sure the pump is not too tight to the floor where it's mounted. You should be able to move it to and fro in it's rubber mount. Next, Use 1/2 foam pipe insulation anywhere you can to isolate the pex lines. Especially where they pass through a wall or an opening. Make sure they are not laying against a wall or touching each other without being insulated. This will help quite a bit. Use wire ties where necessary to prevent the pex lines from vibrating.

jnbhobe

The lines in and out of the pump should be flexible hose not rigid pex. As Ray says just insulate your lines from vibration, I have to listen hard to even hear my pump and we use it a lot.

Yes, we already have wrapped the lines with foam insulation. I put it where they touch at the joints, where it comes in contact with the wall and also the floor. I'm not certain how the pump actually sits on the floor...whether there are rubber pegs under it or such. We'll look closely at it this coming weekend and see if we maybe need insulation or rubber on the pump.

Thank you so much for your help with this.

Ray, we're in IL also. Our TT is on a campground near Plano, IL.

Geo

I have found in the past RV's that we owned as well with this Sundance that I have now the best thing to do is put in a loop hose & a accumulator tank.
Come out of the discharge side of the pump make a loop with about 3’ of hose then go to an accumulator.
This should take care of the pump water hammering as well as the pump turning on & off.
Shurflo sells the accumulator for about $40 at an rv store or on line, hose you can get at a hardware store.
Check out the picture & let me know if I can help.
Good luck
George.

pump.jpg

George,

Thank you for your response. I will have to forward your reply to my DH as you've run way past my technical know how. LOL

Sherri

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray, we're in IL also. Our TT is on a campground near Plano, IL.
It's all coming back now... We used to go through Plano on the way to the Sandwich Fair. Those were the best days. When we lived in Elgin, I worked for a plastics place that did some work for Plano Molding. We moved to WI in 1999 and now use our Son's Dixon, IL address as a residence. No state tax from IL on pension distributions. We'll be in Dixon in a couple weeks. Actually, Rock Falls at Liesure Lake on the way to TX for the winter.

I hope you get your noisy pump situation resolved.