3100ES - Potential Owner

JMTHKR

Hi everyone,

I have been looking at 5th wheels for years - finally getting ready to retire for good after my last gig in Afghanistan where I am presently working. I have observed the growth of Heartland over the last few years, and have been impressed by the value of Heartland and the positive comments regarding Heartland for standing by warranty work. We currently like the Sundance 3100ES. It is a great size for us for us for extended time travel as we plan to keep our sticks and bricks. Although the article in Trailer Life a few months ago on the 2900MK and this forum have answered a lot of my questions I still have a few additional questions. I appreciate everyone's help on this forum.
  • Does one air conditioner handle moderately hot weather for sleeping in the bedroom?
  • Anyone have any experience with the dual (thermal) pane window option? Do they really help with heating and air conditioning?
  • How about cold weather camping with hookups? Can the unit handle occasional teens and 20 degree temps without too much trouble.
  • The new couch bed with the air mattress. How wide is it and will it fit a smaller couple? Is it relatively comfortable?

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Hi Cliff and welcome to the forum.

I have never owned a Sundance but from a BC perspective I might help you with a couple of questions.
1. We have 1 A/C unit on our trailer and live in the south. I can tell you that the one A/C unit will run all day in 95 plus weather but it will keep it around 76 inside. Never had an issue of it not cool enough to sleep.

2.Cant help you with dual pane windows. Never had a trailer with them. FWIW-I am told by people who have them tohey do more for the exterior noise than keeping the trailer cool or warm.

3.Again, with our BC we do camp in the winter. It does get cold here in the south-well, teens and twenties. Never had any basement lines lines freeze up.

4.Ah, personal experience with the couch. Yes it will fit two people and it is comfortable. Its not a king size bed mind you but it is great for what it is.

As far as your obesrvation with HL, I think you are dead on. We are currently researching trailers for a possible up grade next year. Considering we do have a budget to stay with in we keep coming back to HL.

If you are serving in the military or support for our brave men and women-THANK YOU for your service to our country. and good luck with your decision.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Cliff, good questions. But the answers will vary by opinion. SouthernNights is happy with 76 degrees inside. That would not cut it in our rig. The wife likes it much cooler. We have two Ac's in this rig and had two in the last rig.
Dual pane windows, I would not be without them. They do cut outside noise and I do believe that they help with the temps. I feel less heat and cold radiating off them than I would on a single pane. Last winter on the way to TX on some cold weather mornings when I would open the blind I would see my SIL wiping condensate off their windows, single pane. We had none.
I'll agree with SouthernNights on the rest of it.
These are just my opinions.

Peace
Dave

caissiel

We are now experiencing 23F temperatures outside during the night.
With the fireplace on and the furnace on programed setting we are quit comfy.
The dual pane glass are a blessing for us due to no condesation or cold at the windows.
My friend also full time here in the RV and when I go there the water runs down the windows,
Its our best option next to the Washer/Dryer.
We hardly use the A/C and are good with one. We love the heat and only use it to lower the humidity at night. If I would install and additional one I would go with a smaller model that could run on 15Amp connection.

I have hidden the fresh tank drain and have no worries of freezing in the cold nights. I unhook the water on cold days and use the fresh water tank source the balance of cold days. Dump on warmer days. Just leave the valves shut and take your cover off in order to be able to dump on warm days.

SmokeyBare

Cliff,

First I Thank you for serving your Country and making possible the Freedom we enjoy in this beautiful country of ours ! Thank you Sir...

I don't have the model your considering so my answers will be not a perfect fit for your choice of RV.

1. We've spent this summer in Tennessee and Georgia, temps in the mid to high 90's through most of the Summer. Our single A/C did a good job of keeping us
comfortable. During the hottest part of the day temps inside did climb into the 80's for a short spell but I credit that mostly because we tend to park out in
the open so we can get a clear line of sight for both our Dish services. That lack of shade does increase the temps.

2. Dual pane windows was a "Must" when we ordered our Bighorn Fifth Wheel. With our "S.O.B." old Fifth Wheel, we were always dealing with condensation. Be
it on the inside of the glass during cold days or the outside with the A/C running. With Dual Pane glass those issues are gone. We occasionally get a little
moisture on the aluminum window frames... but not bad enough as we had in the our old 5'er. Dual pane windows help reduce outside noises as well.

3. We have spent time in temps around 17 degrees for 4 days running. I used a small space heater pushing heat in the area behind the docking station to keep
the plumbing from freezing. We did this because we were using 2 small electric cube heaters to keep the inside warm and not the propane furnace. We were
comfortable enough with out the furnace running. The coldest parts of the RV was the floors of the slide rooms. Since they are flush floors in our Bighorn,
there's no insulation under them.

4. Our hide a bed couch is not an air mattress type. I'm sure the Air Beds are far more comfortable than the type we have. I can feel the metal bars of the frame
below the mattress on ours.

LongIslandTodd

2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Hi Cliff
We have a 2011 3100ES and love it. We keep our camper in the Pocono Pa. we have one A/C and it is plenty. We have the double payne glass and would not be without it. We just winterized last week and it did go down in the 30,s with no problems. The air bed is good for a small couple or one large adult. Any other questions I will be happy to answer.

Todd