campground directory

I just got an e-mail to sell me a Woodall's 2011 campground directory for $11.99. Is this a good book to have? We are planning to travell in the States at some point and know nothing about where the campgrounds are and thought this might be a good book to have.Also have been reading alot about passport America and was thinking perhaps it would be good to join that as well. Any advice would be nice .Thanks Shargranny

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Shargranny, welcome to the forum. You will find lots of good info here.
At $11.99, the Woodall's directory sounds pretty good. I don't use Woodall's but the directorys are a good source for finding places to stay. I am sure that there is some sort of rating system with that.
Passport America can save you some cash on camping fees. They have a limited amount of CG's, but a pretty good selection. Some of the deals have restrictions such as when when they are good and how long you can stay.
I am sure others will chime in with their thoughts and other options.

Peace
Dave

grizzlygiant

We travel cross country several times each year and we rely on Woodall's to find campgrounds...well worth the $12 price. Passport America is very limited with many restrictions. We dropped it.

4ever

Woodall's is good to use and they do rate campgrounds which can be a big help. Yopu can also use Woodall's on line. Just go to www.woodalls.com. I use this all the time in assiting me in my selections. I also use the Good Sam web site. They also lists campgrounds and rate them as well. I ususally check out both ratings. If the ratings are similar I feel good about the place. If the ratings are far apart I begin to question. I also use Google Earth to see what sourounds a campground. This can let you know how close highways, railroad tarcks and what ever else is close by.

Ted

danemayer

I have the 2010 Woodall's directory which included a CD/ROM software version of the directory. One of the difficulties I've had with the printed book is that campgrounds are listed by city name within a state. So if you're looking for a campground in the Austin, TX area, you have to know the names of surrounding towns and also look at each one individually. Of course I don't know the little towns surrounding most of my destinations. The software solves this problem by showing you all campgrounds within a designated distance from your target location. Selecting Austin with a 25 mile radius pulls in Cedar Park, Lakeway, Georgetown, etc. Very useful. The software also allows you to filter the results by a number of factors, such as electric service, sewer hookup, etc.

RoadJunkie

It is said, "The best things in life are free", but it is also said, "You get what you pay for". The rvparkreviews.com site does not list several good campgrounds in my area, consequently travelers could miss out unless they know from other sources that they exist.

jnv

A price of $11.99 is very good for a Woodall's directory. We have found it to be very helpful, it lists most but not all campgrounds. I am not familar with passport America, but we did join the Good Sam Club and recouped our membership fee within a few months (they offer a 10% discount to members). We also use another campground directory called Trailer Life which in addition to campground listings, also indicates which campgrounds are Good Sam Members so you can take advantage of the discount when planning a trip. Hope this helps. JNV