Putting it away for winter

nwcamper

Hello all,

We purchased our first trailer this summer and spent as much time out camping as we could but it is time to put it away for the winter. Since this is our first trailer we didn't know what to expect but looking back at it we are very pleased. We only had one issue. The propane sensor would go off at random times but we never smelt propane. Very disturbing tho. The trailer is at the dealer currently and they have found that the oven regulator had a very slight leak and are replacing it. I had already replaced the alarm.

Winterizing tips?

Looking forward to next summer

If you are in or coming to Washington let us know we would love to meet other Heartland owners.

Steve, Missy and Kayla

1016109.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Remove anything inside the trailer that is edible or that might freeze. Even condiments in jars should be removed and used in the home, replace with fresh when you go camping again.

I like to blow out my water lines with air before pumping antifreeze in. Set the compressor to 40 psi and you should have no problems. Make sure you open all faucets (one at a time) and get air, then the antifreeze, coming out. Pour some antifreeze into the sink drains, shower, and toilet (flush some into the tank). When dewinterizing, I again use air to clear the antifreeze out and then use the water pump to flush chlorinated water through the lines to sanitize and clear them.

Be sure to empty your fresh water tank and to dump/flush the gray and black tanks before starting to winterize.

Don't forget to remove the anode rod from the water heater and flush the tank with clean water (after putting it in bypass mode). You don't need to pump antifreeze into the water heater after you've drained it and left the anode out.

We use Space-Saver vacuum bags to store linens and towels that belong to the trailer. Keeps them clean and rodent/bug free.

Crawl around under the trailer and use spray foam, screening, and/or steel wool to close up any opening you can find to help keep rodents and bugs out while in storage (or at the campgrounds). For openings that must remain open, like a hydraulic ram for a slide, covering the opening with a rubber patch will work (see photo). Some folks recommend laying pieces of Bounce Fabric sheets around inside the trailer to keep mice out. I found they tend to use it for toilet paper.

Close all the blinds/curtains/vents, cover the tires, remove the battery (keep it somewhere that it won't see prolonged freezing temps), check the electrolyte level and give it a trickle charge periodically. Check tire pressures before storing, too. And wait for spring.

There are probably more tips out there.

View attachment 10796

olyfire

Are you going to be able to plug your trailer into power. Besides all of the things that johndar said we keep a dehumidifier going all winter. This puts a little heat in and keeps moisture way down. Also if it's going to be outside I'd buy an RV cover, sure keeps the outside of the unit looking new longer.

I see you are from Washington. Who are using for your warranty work? We had nothing but troubles with Fife RV.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Welcome to the group!! I come up to Port Angeles about 5 times a year from Idaho to visit my daughter and family and always bring my Bighorn! I love to stay at Rainbows End RV park in Sequim. Your area is a bit differant weather but always prep IAW the manufactures directives. Call the dealer and ask them for assistance for your first time........many good ideas out here and wise to follow them! One thing I always noticed at my daughters is the amount of mice......wow will they tear up your wires! When I leave it there I put mouse poison (packs) all over the place and have been glad I did. They will eat the insulation from the wires.