Bumper Delaminating

BIG_ZD

Went out today a found this with my bumper.

Can someone from the factory please send me a pm with possible solutions.

Thanks
Jason

BIG_ZD

Well I got the responce today on my issue. Since it is 3 months out of warrenty heartland will not cover the bumper.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Looks to me more like the paint is peeling rather than a delamination issue. At least from the photo.

BIG_ZD

The company that makes the bumper, best form plastic, said they believe it is a problem with the adhesive they use. This has happened before. They company they get thier stuff from is running some test.

branson4020

Icantre Member
As jim said, it looks like the finish coming off. What is that stuff anyway? Is it the clear-coat thats used now in lieu of the fiberglass gelcoat?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
The company that makes the bumper, best form plastic, said they believe it is a problem with the adhesive they use. This has happened before. They company they get thier stuff from is running some test.

Will Best Form Plastics pay for the replacement? I would think they would.

Mark

GOTTOYS

Bring it to a good auto-body shop. They will strip it and re-spray it. If the part can be removed even better, won't take up a lot of room. The cost wouldn't be that bad....Don

BIG_ZD

Will Best Form Plastics pay for the replacement? I would think they would.

Mark

No Best Form Plastics wont replace it unless I wanted to pay for it. Thats when I went back to Heartland to see if maybe they would help out any, maybe put some pressure on thier supplier but no luck.

BIG_ZD

Bring it to a good auto-body shop. They will strip it and re-spray it. If the part can be removed even better, won't take up a lot of room. The cost wouldn't be that bad....Don

Im gonna talk with my dealer, they do body work also and see how much they would charge to re-spray it or what they would do. There body shop guy was out all week fixing some weather dameged camper.

mrcomer

Wow, both the manufacturer and Heartland agree that there is a problem with some sort of bonding agent for the paint or clear coat but neither will step up and make good. I see Heartland's side of this but I really feel that Best Form Plastics should take care of this if they want to save face. Heartland should also be flexing their muscle on this as it makes them look bad also. Come on you large businesses, customers make or break your bottom line, make this right.

Mark

BIG_ZD

Wow, both the manufacturer and Heartland agree that there is a problem with some sort of bonding agent for the paint or clear coat but neither will step up and make good. I see Heartland's side of this but I really feel that Best Form Plastics should take care of this if they want to save face. Heartland should also be flexing their muscle on this as it makes them look bad also. Come on you large businesses, customers make or break your bottom line, make this right.

Mark

Thanks for your comments Mark.

I talked to Jim Fenner today and they said that they will not cover it out of warrenty. They tried to get Best Form to cover it but they will not. Since Heartland does not use Best Form plastics any more they dont have to much pull.

Thanks to everyone for there comments and suggestions.

Jason

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Why are they hiding behind "out if warranty"!! Why can't we do what is fair and right?!

Geeze. This just doesn't sound like the Heartland I thought I bought from.

TT

BIG_ZD

The problem is they dont use best form for anything, therefore they cannot force best form to take care of the problem. And heartland wont open thier big walltes and pay for a new bumper because it is out of warrenty. As long as they still are working with the company of the broke part they will do everything they can to get the part fix. But if they no longer using that company and its out of warrenty they will not cover it.

Heartlands words not mine (execpth the big wallet comment).

BIG_ZD

Getting mixed feelings about Heartland

I want to start off by saying this is not ment to be a "bash fest" for heartland just a fact finding mision.

Since I bought my camper 1 year and 3 months ago today I have had a lot of great trips in it. Along with the great trips have come with some problems, not as many as the good times, but still problems. I have always been the kind to just fix the problem myself and move on. L

ist of problems include:
1. windows leaking due to lack of caulking
2. water pump sounds like a jack hammer when running
3. tires had pea size marks in the side walls
4. heating duct not that well
5. bumper pealing

Problems 1-4 I have either fixed or just live with. Problem 5 is the one I am having issues with. First I post the question on the Heartland Owners forum under the "ask the factory" section hopeing that I would get some feed back. Nothing. So I give it some time. 2 weeks still nothing. I saw in some other post that the delay may be because of out of the office and such, fine no problem. Then I call Heartland and talk to a Ryan Pro. He tells me to call thier supplier Best Form Plastics.

Why should I call them? Aint that thier job to take care of my problems?

So I call them and get the answer, "yes there is a problem and we are running some test to find out" and "no we wont send you one for free". So I call heartland back. Talk to Ryan again. Explain what Best Form told me and ask for help. Answer "no you are out of you warrenty".

This is my first point were I start getting mixed feelings. I hear all these great reviews of Heartlands great customer service, they will do anything to make things right. So what makes my case different. I then call and talk to Mike Creech. He lets me know that they are looking into it and it looks like they maybe doing something about it. He suggest I call Jim Fenner. I call Mr Fenner and explain what is going on. He advised me that they do not use Best Form Plastics anymore so they cannot get them to send me a new bumper and since I was 1 year 2 1/2 months out of warrenty nothing they can do.

So my questions are:
1. Has anyone else been able to get anything fixed outside of the warrenty?
2. If so was Heartland still using that product in the manufacturing of the campers?
3. Why must we call the suppliers with the issues, why cant heartland take care of it?

Thanks in advance for you help.

GOTTOYS

Re: Getting mixed feelings about Heartland

I don't have a horse in this race so please don't take offense at my comments. This is just the way I see it. There is probably a reason that Heartland no longer uses Best Form Plastics as a supplier. Perhaps it was poor customer service, bad products?? I don't know and don't care. In any event as they are no longer doing business with them, Heartland has no "clout" with this supplier. All manufacturers purchase their parts and sub assemblies from various sources. I for one, am happy to deal with the suppliers as I feel I can get straight answers without the middleman. My feeling is that you are pretty much on your own after making a purchase and it's up to the individual to work toward a solution with your dealer, the manufacturer and the suppliers if necessary. Sometimes that works, other times it doesn't. The bottom line is you are 1 yr. and 2-1/2 months out of warranty. GM, Ford and Chrysler wouldn't help you at this point why should Heartland? There was a time when they would, but those days are over. Heartland has no clout with this supplier anymore. It would not benefit the supplier to make an exception. There is no longer anything in it for them. If they were still supplying these parts perhaps it would be different. Best Form probably lost a nice chunk of business. They aren't happy about that. You bought something from Heartland, they're ticked off at Heartland?..too bad for you...I don't know if any of this is true, it's just a possibility. You're caught in the middle. That really does suck, but not everybody is real proud of what they make anymore. I wouldn't do it that way but they didn't ask me how to handle this. All I can say is maybe it's time to move on and quit beating a dead horse. Sorry for this defect, get it repainted and be done with it. If you lived closer to me I would do it for you. When my turn rolls around for something like this I won't be happy either. Best of Luck...Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Not taking sides, but even with the auto companies, unless an after-the-sale cosmetic problem reaches a predetermined number, they don't react. Unless it's an obvious safety issue, then the ball starts rolling sooner. Or at least it did when I worked for a major luxury car nameplate and was involved in the analyses of several issues. There was an entire department that monitored dealer warranty issues and customer complaints. They called on us to determine if a part or process was in question.

So, part of this issue may be how many other owners of similar rigs are experiencing delamination of the rear bumper? If the OP's rig is the only one, then it would be good PR for Heartland to eat the cost of the repair but it would not necessarily generate a warranty recall. If there are more out there, then they do need to step up, do a root cause analysis, and make things right. Perhaps they have changed suppliers, but if they don't know the cause of the problem, they'll probably repeat it. It's still says "HEARTLAND" on the side of the rig.

BIG_ZD

Thanks for your responce with this matter.

Don I have stopped beating the dead horse. Heartland has clearly stated that they dont want to pay for the $45 bumper, fine I have moved on. Im not trying to get that matter taken care of. The bumper still is messed up and right above it in big letters is the North trail by Heartland decal.

What I was trying to find out from this post was:

2. If so was Heartland still using that product in the manufacturing of the campers?

To reply to John this has been an issue with the bumper that Heartland has known about. I believe that is why Heartland moved to the new style bumper.

Thanks again for your reponces.

mrcomer

Thanks for your responce with this matter.

Don I have stopped beating the dead horse. Heartland has clearly stated that they dont want to pay for the $45 bumper, fine I have moved on. Im not trying to get that matter taken care of. The bumper still is messed up and right above it in big letters is the North trail by Heartland decal.

What I was trying to find out from this post was:

To reply to John this has been an issue with the bumper that Heartland has known about. I believe that is why Heartland moved to the new style bumper.

Thanks again for your reponces.

I know for a fact that Heartland is no longer using Best Form Products for anything. they have cut ties with that company. Good to know based on your expereince with the bumper. I was glad to hear Heatland is not interested in using a vendor that has poor quality products although I do not know if that was the only reason.. It was one of my points in the other thread you started about your bumper. Sorry this doesn't help your particular issue.

Mark

jbeletti

I have consolidated the 2 threads surrounding the issue with this bumper to:
1. Add context to the points of the second thread (now combined here)
2. To eliminate double-posting (same user, same base matter)

Please continue the discussion here everyone :)

Thanks,

Jim