How do you give up most of your worldly possessions and go full time ?

supernan1414

Today I was going though a box of old photos, didn't throw away any, just looked at them.
I got thinking about what it would take to go full time. We are not ready for that now but when we bought this rig we used that as a bargaining chip to justify buying it. All my collections, figurines, pictures etc. The furniture wouldn't matter but all the other stuff. Wondering how others have dealt with the decision.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We gave the "keepsakes" to the kids and kept some things we thought we might need someday in storage. We have been full time for almost two years and haven't used too many of them after all, so we're probably going to have a garage sale to get rid of them or just give them away.

SmokeyBare

We were lucky not to be collectors in our Sticks & Bricks life. But that didn't lessen the task getting a lifetime of Stuff Gone and our home ready for the next owner. We ask the girls what they wanted from the house... hardly any at all was their reply. We knew the task was left to us and us alone.

We did the yard sales, the barn sales, and a few house sales to boot. We made a few trips to a local flea market where we rented a spot and hawked our "Stuff" to those walked past our spot. Last ditch effort was a moving sale, it all goes... what didn't sell we hauled to a annual Church sale, donating all that was left over. They told me what they didn't sell went to a warehouse where other churches could come to pick through it for their own Church Sales. It was quite an experience to deal with but one I've no regrets ever. In our case we didn't bother renting a storage spot but did take 6 plastic tubs to our daughters house for storage. Not much left from 55 years of living in the same house.

Karen took on a task of sorting the boxes of photos and then put together albums for each of our daughters. Their photo memories of growing up on the farm in Ohio. It's been 6 years since we pulled out of the House for the last time... We're still looking down the road on each turn of the highway... no regrets for the choices we made.

Good Luck with your preparation for full timing.

ChopperBill

We will be spending 3 months this winter in the new rig. Although its super nice by the end of the the 3 months I know I will be going stark raving nuts! I need my SPACE. I like to go out in the garage a piddle around and work of a few ATV's for some beer money. Play in the yard and mess with the trees and flower garden. I can not sit around "relaxing". Full time may be for some but just getting away for a while is fine with me.

robnmo

I'm glad to see this thread, we've had the same question. We're just not ready to give up the house yet, even though it's alot more house than we need for just us 2 these days, but I'll miss the garage, yard, etc ............at least for now. We've decided to hang onto the house for a bit and try out the wintering over someplace for a few months to see how it works and come home when it's warm. I've always wondered what others did when they did commit to full time rving. The firearms, decorations, memories, tons and tons of photos.................guess the kids might have fun splitting it all up. LOL

We will be spending 3 months this winter in the new rig. Although its super nice by the end of the the 3 months I know I will be going stark raving nuts! I need my SPACE. I like to go out in the garage a piddle around and work of a few ATV's for some beer money. Play in the yard and mess with the trees and flower garden. I can not sit around "relaxing". Full time may be for some but just getting away for a while is fine with me.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
For us, we have come to the conclusion you don't have to be a 'Full-Timer" to enjoy the RV lifestyle. You can be an 'Any-timer" like us. We still have our Sticks & Bricks as a place to go to when we need to, a "home base" if you want to call it that. But it is nice to be able to go where you want, when you want, staying as long as you want; yet still have all of your "stuff". There are times when we like to be 'the gathering place' for the family or just kick back and mess around at the house. When we are on the road we make arrangements for the mail by priority forwarding it to our daughters house or just placing it on hold depending how long we think we might be gone. This year we have be away from the house for 7 of the 10 months. Life if good and you to can be an ANYTIMER.

2010augusta

Photos: that is easy, one word, Digital. Lot of pictures, one small hard drive. we have about 300-400 Gigabytes of photos on an external drive.

Decorations, some can go in the trailer, the rest go to family, storage or ebay

Memories, stay with you not the house

When it all boils down, if you don't use the stuff at least every two weeks or so, it is pretty easy to live without once your full-time.

olyfire

We put most of our furniture and other keepsakes in storage, gave some stuff to the kids and went for it.
After about 6 months we couldn't remember half of what was in storage. We called an auction house and had all of the bigger things hauled off and got a much smaller storage unit for the keepsakes. We didn't miss the stuff we sold.
After 2 1/2 years of full timing we found we missed a home and a place for all of the kids and grand kids to gather. Would not have missed the full timing.
It was fun purchasing a new home and starting all over with new furnishings . Now we go whenever and wherever we want but enjoy the house, great neighbors and a place for gatherings.

noobee

Regarding the old photos: Bought a good scanner & scanned all old photos both 'paper' & slides to my computer. Use 'My Pictures' as screen saver... on going project to categorize all these photos......

CS

robnmo

For us, we have come to the conclusion you don't have to be a 'Full-Timer" to enjoy the RV lifestyle. You can be an 'Any-timer" like us. We still have our Sticks & Bricks as a place to go to when we need to, a "home base" if you want to call it that. But it is nice to be able to go where you want, when you want, staying as long as you want; yet still have all of your "stuff". There are times when we like to be 'the gathering place' for the family or just kick back and mess around at the house. When we are on the road we make arrangements for the mail by priority forwarding it to our daughters house or just placing it on hold depending how long we think we might be gone. This year we have be away from the house for 7 of the 10 months. Life if good and you to can be an ANYTIMER.

Thanks Jim that helps alot, and makes us feel better. We like that idea, winterize the house and just disappear for weeks or months at a time then come "home" when we feel like it. I like this idea better and better, but still have 7 months to make up our mind. Love this area in the summer, but the San Antonio area sure is calling for winter. LOL Thanks

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks Jim that helps alot, and makes us feel better. We like that idea, winterize the house and just disappear for weeks or months at a time then come "home" when we feel like it. I like this idea better and better, but still have 7 months to make up our mind. Love this area in the summer, but the San Antonio area sure is calling for winter. LOL Thanks

Yes it is hard to leave everything behind and hit the road. My mother used to call people who traveled all the time 'gypsies' or 'travelers'. Now they can be called RVers. But to have a permanent place to land gives me a feeling of security especially since the cancer bug bit me. Knowing that one day our ability to roam will end, and knowing where will can land at that time is comforting.

Be aware, though, that the Escapees members, www.escapees.com , has what is called the CARE CENTER at their home location at their Rainbows End park just outside of Livingston, Tx. The CARE CENTER is a part of the Rainbows End that has RV sites for those members recovering from illness or surgeries etc who need a place to stay while recovering. They offer 3 meals a day, RV cleaning, nursing for those who need assistance for a reasonable fee. It is almost like a rehabilitation home only you stay in your RV. For complete info on these services check out their website www.escapees.com

Good luck with your decision and remember it is cheaper and easier to keep what you got and be an ANYTIMER than getting rid of everything and then finding out you need to buy a house, furniture, dishes, linens, pots and pans, appliances etc. Don't just jump until you are sure. Another big consideration also is can you and the spouse get along being confined in a small space and being together constantly. We can but many cannot. So a 'trial run' is recommended. Remember many couples love each other dearly but need 'their space' and their time alone. Whatever you decide the important thing to remember is the enjoy you travels and life itself.

robertjoy

It's far from easy and it took us 4 years after we started. We set off storing our possessions in a storage unit, or what we had left after several Garage Sale weekends and gradually through out heaps and only retained what we absolutely could not throw away and we have now got rid of the storage unit. It really feels refreshing to have freedom and we do not miss the STUFF that we all cling onto. All we can say is slowly, slowly and if it feels right then do it if it does not then don't, you'll know what is right for you.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
After being full time for 4 years, we are now the any timers as Jim has referred to. When we first decided to sell the house we started making a list of things that we wanted to keep and place in storage. We rented a 10X24 facility that we negotiated a pretty good deal if we paid a year in advance. Some were personal items or keepsakes. Some were family related and then there was a list of things we might need in case we decided that full timing wasn't for us. Then there were tools that I "loaned" to my Son in IL. I have to remind him every time we visit, they're still mine.

While we loved the lifestyle, we found that we kept coming back to WI to care for my Mother. We decided it was wiser to buy a small home again instead of giving away our hard earned cash to an RV park. Thankfully, everything we decided to keep is now being used in our new little house. Since my garage has limited power (for now) my Son still has some of my woodworking tools.

Now I'm planning to winterize and leave WI next Thursday.

2010augusta

We had a much faster timeline. We bought the trailer in mid-Nov, got married on Dec 3rd and by Jan 2nd, everything from both homes was either sold, donated, stored at either of the parents homes, or in the trailer and we were on the road.

Have actually sent more stuff back to parents as we decide we have stuff we REALLY don't need.

robnmo

After being full time for 4 years, we are now the any timers as Jim has referred to. When we first decided to sell the house we started making a list of things that we wanted to keep and place in storage. We rented a 10X24 facility that we negotiated a pretty good deal if we paid a year in advance. Some were personal items or keepsakes. Some were family related and then there was a list of things we might need in case we decided that full timing wasn't for us. Then there were tools that I "loaned" to my Son in IL. I have to remind him every time we visit, they're still mine.

While we loved the lifestyle, we found that we kept coming back to WI to care for my Mother. We decided it was wiser to buy a small home again instead of giving away our hard earned cash to an RV park. Thankfully, everything we decided to keep is now being used in our new little house. Since my garage has limited power (for now) my Son still has some of my woodworking tools.

Now I'm planning to winterize and leave WI next Thursday.

Ray

This brings up anther issue.........winterizing the house. We plan to keep the furnace set about 55* 24/7, but plan to drain the water heaters, shut off the water at the meter, then open and blow out the lines JUST IN CASE THE FURNACE decides to take a leave of abscence while we're gone. Shut off all electric except what is esscential, any other ideas, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated.

goodtruck

For the most part it was real easy.we gave all of the furn to people that were on Galveston island that lost everything in the last hurricane.the keepsakes that were very special to my wife we kept the rest we stored for the kids.My rule was if you have not touched it in a month you don,t need it.Photos went on a disc.Neither my wife or I have any regrets.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray

This brings up anther issue.........winterizing the house. We plan to keep the furnace set about 55* 24/7, but plan to drain the water heaters, shut off the water at the meter, then open and blow out the lines JUST IN CASE THE FURNACE decides to take a leave of abscence while we're gone. Shut off all electric except what is esscential, any other ideas, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated.
Rob, I'm in a similar boat! Our little cottage doesn't have a basement. It's on a very shallow crawl space. More like a night crawler space. Anyway, my plan is about the same. Turn off the water at the meter, drain the water heater, open up the valves at all the fixtures and set the t'stat at 50. There are directions in our clothes washer owners manual for winterizing it so I'll do that just in case. My expectations are if we do have a power or furnace failure and pipes do freeze, at least we'll not have water running all over the place. I've also been told to cover the toilet with Saran Wrap. This helps prevent the water in the bowl from dehydrating. Oh yeah, almost forgot. I'll pour RV anti freeze into all the traps. Kitchen, bathtub, vanity, w/d, toilet and the drain for our furnace/air conditioner condensate drain. I've given our neighbors our cell number just in case. If they see anything abnormal like no exhaust from the furnace vent, I can call my Daughter to investigate and get a service guy out.

All that said, next year I plan on putting in a Hot water heater bypass similar to the RV. I'll also put in a means to fill our piping with RV anti freeze just like the RV but with a small 1/4 horse pump submerged in a bucket of RV anti freeze. It might take 10 gallons of RV stuff to winterize but that's less than the cost of a plumber. In my mind, it's doable. Hope this helps.

ChopperBill

"Another big consideration also is can you and the spouse get along being confined in a small space and being together constantly."

You said a mouth full there Jim! Try to do that in a 10' truck camper with a dog on just a long weekend.

robnmo

Ray

Thanks for a couple tips, like the washer, guess that'll include the refer ice maker also hmmmmmmmm and saran wrap on the commodes. I've already got by passes installed on one water heater, just need to do the other. I had plans of shooting RV antifreeze through the pipes like you said (just didn't mention it figured it would be "dumb") but like you better spend 25 or 30 dollars for anti freeze than replace water pipes. I plan to rig up a slip on shower hose (minus the shower head) to the faucets to blow some air through before I shoot in anti freeze. I'm already counting on losing a freezer, it's hard on them to be plugged in constant then set for months unplugged. I did put in a "low point drain" where the water comes into the house so I can shut off the water in the cellar and open the low point drain valve to drain all the lines without much effort. Thanks