Truck Stop / Public 5th Wheel Etiquette on the Road

floridarandy

For years pulling the popup I never thought much about this. Regular car pumps at the gas station. Park out in the lot at restaurants or shopping centers, etc.

Now with the 5th wheel I thought it might be worth getting the insider view of pulling the bigger rig. We've had no probelm hitch/unhitching....running down the interstate...avoiding running over curbs and stop signs around town and backing into the new berth we created at home. But, we haven't been the road camping with it yet and since that's coming up soon I thought I'd ask.

So I'm pulling into a truck stop for gas....car pumps or truck pumps? I assume overhead is an issue at the "car" pumps at many stations?

What about eating at a truck stop....park out back with the 18 wheelers?

How do you deal with roadside restaurants while on the road re: parking, e.g., Denny's, Cracker Barrell or the host of other restaurants around interstate interchanges (Outback, Friday's, etc, etc)?

What about a stop at Wallymart for supplies while on the road?

In general, how are you treated as a vehicle while on the road....I assume more like an 18 wheeler truck and less like a car?

Thanks

Randy in Florida

gpshemi

Well...I'm 41' plus a 22-23' truck. Subtract a little for overlap and I still come out around 65'ish. I pull into the truck stops. There always seems to be pumps available, and the pumps pump a whole lot faster. Considering I'm only pumping 35 gallons or so, I'm in and out of there faster then a big rig. No one seems to care.

As far as eating or Wallyworld goes. I try and park away from EVERYTHING no matter where I'm at...just so I know no one will back into it accidentally or something stupid. A walk is cheap and my fat hinny can use it anyway.

In general we're treated like a semi. Everyone has to get around me even if I'm going 100mph in a 25.

RSIG

Randy,

I would recommend using the truck pumps. If you chose to use the pumps in the car area you risk the chance of being boxed in with little turning area to get away from the pumps if they have a store as part of there business. Walmart is not an issue as we park along the perimeter of the property. Many of the chain resturants have Rv parking (Some are tight).Truck stops best to park with the big guys. Try to look over all parking areas before pulling in as you want to plan your exit and not have to back a distance between cars. You have alread asked the right questions. With that you should have no major problem.

Last edited:

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
In general we're treated like a semi. Everyone has to get around me even if I'm going 100mph in a 25.

Now that's funny! :D

We too tend to park "away" from the congestion. Wal-Marts here are very crowded making navigating the parking lots with all the curb dividers a bit difficult.

This issue with fast-food restaurants is you usually can get in but sometimes not back out (at least in a forward direction) So far we have been able to park on a street for such occasions!

Gas stations have not proven to be a problem to date. Even the stations set up just for cars seem to have tall enough coverings for our 5th wheel.

Best Wishes!

Jellystone

floridarandy, the other posters are right on the money. When we take trips to Walt Disney World (Fort Wilderness) I only fill up and eat at truck stops. It is so much easier to use the semi fuel pumps for getting in and out with plenty of room. My family also enjoys the Iron Skillet restaurants at some truck stops. When we park at the truck stops to eat/restroom visits I always park out back with the big boys. When you walk back out to the semi lot after eating, notice how your 5th wheel is almost the same height and width as the tractor trailers in the lot. Only difference is the tiny truck pulling the 5th wheel versus the giant truck pulling the commercial trailer :)

mlburst1

Randy,

If you are traveling Interstates, I recommend Exit Now or the Next Exit - both directories list the businesses at each exit and indicate (in red) if there is RV parking - not 100% accurate but better than guessing.

Mike

floridarandy

Randy,

If you are traveling Interstates, I recommend Exit Now or the Next Exit - both directories list the businesses at each exit and indicate (in red) if there is RV parking - not 100% accurate but better than guessing.

Mike

Mike - good reminder...bought that book a few months ago but haven't pulled it out on this issue. will have a look tonite.

Thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
So I'm pulling into a truck stop for gas....car pumps or truck pumps? I assume overhead is an issue at the "car" pumps at many stations?

What about eating at a truck stop....park out back with the 18 wheelers?

How do you deal with roadside restaurants while on the road re: parking, e.g., Denny's, Cracker Barrel or the host of other restaurants around interstate interchanges (Outback, Friday's, etc, etc)?
Thanks
Randy in Florida
Randy, Is it safe to assume your truck is a Diesel?? There are no "gas" pumps in the back where the big rigs fuel up. Otherwise, all the previous info is right on the money. There are times I'll even park out of the way before fueling up so I can walk over and find out if there is an island with diesel and the smaller nozzle. Chevys don't take fuel too quickly and those large diameter nozzles pump pretty fast. And as said previously, Always try to plan your exit before going in.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The Flying J's have RV pumps with both Diesel and Gasoline. They also have RV parking places where you can park to go inside to eat or to go inside your rig. I personally do not like Pilot or Loves as they don't have a specific area for RVs so you will have to use the truck pumps. Although the truck pumps have the bigger nozzle (won't fit all pickups) to pump faster, the areas around the truck pumps are usually nasty with grease, oil and spilled diesel. The truck pump handles are nasty also. So if you plan on using the truck pumps have a pair of gloves and wipe your feet before getting in your tow vehicle. Also at the truck pumps you will have to go inside first to pay versus paying at the pump like you can at the Flying J RV pumps.

truknutt

Committed Member
Since this thread is about etiquette, after using the truck pump it is expected that you pull forward (usually to a painted line) while you go in to pay/use the restrooms. This allows the next big, or small rig to pull in and begin filling.

It has long been known that big rig drivers are less than enamoured with "4-wheelers" but they really get a case of the jaws with some big rig wanna be 5er operators. When pulling into a pull-thru parking slot with the big trucks I tend to park to the rear of the space so when the next truck comes through they see that I am there. I have seen short rigs pull up to the front and then a big truck wheels in only to find a "@^$&(" RV in the slot!!

Always think ahead, leave yourself a way out, and consider how your actions will affect others.

Have fun!

Bobby A

Good topic fellas, 1st, not all Flying J's RV fills are not created equal ( small narrow tight turns to get in and out of the pumps in some locations, so use the truck lanes, I would much rather have some pi**ed off truckers flipping me the bird than to damage my rig, trust me on this one.

A little off topic but we are talking etiquette hear, what is you'all experiance with giving the proper flash of the headlights to truckers and a flash of the tail lights as a thank you when switching lanes. It has been my experiance that in my opinion that in the northern states the truckers seem much less courteous than in the southern states. Just my obsovertation, I might get a courtesy flash maybe 20% of the time in northern states, and about 65% of the time in southern states. I'am not a big rig wanna be, I'am a full time Rv'er sharing the highway in a safe courteous manner.

robnmo

Good topic fellas, 1st, not all Flying J's RV fills are not created equal ( small narrow tight turns to get in and out of the pumps in some locations, so use the truck lanes, I would much rather have some pi**ed off truckers flipping me the bird than to damage my rig, trust me on this one.

A little off topic but we are talking etiquette hear, what is you'all experiance with giving the proper flash of the headlights to truckers and a flash of the tail lights as a thank you when switching lanes. It has been my experiance that in my opinion that in the northern states the truckers seem much less courteous than in the southern states. Just my obsovertation, I might get a courtesy flash maybe 20% of the time in northern states, and about 65% of the time in southern states. I'am not a big rig wanna be, I'am a full time Rv'er sharing the highway in a safe courteous manner.

We always flash lights for passing trucks, but we've got several truck drivers in the family so it's a learned trait for us, but your right as for the return courtesy, we seldom get the same light flashing from trucks when we pass them. Same here, I'm not a wanna be semi driver, have no desire to drive a semi, we just want to pull our RV as safely and be as courteous as possible to and from our destination of choice. I'd much rather be setting soaking up a cold brew and watching the world go by than driving down the road.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
We only stop at truck stops and have done what every one says and have never have a problem I do not like Loves and don't go there unless I have to. We have an extra tank in the bed so only have to fuel once a day when traveling sure make it nice.
On the road we usually sleep at Super Walmart and have had no problems.
Happy Trails
Wayne

Rmcgrath53

WE also find a Wallmart to stay at night. We call ahead for we have a wallmart locator book, not all Wallmarts are RV friendly. But when we get there we go and talk to the manager and find out where they prefer us to park. We have a bunkhouse slide and pull that out just enough to get in , maybe 10 inches out. Slide out the bedroom and dinning couch slide. We try and park in the back with driverside against a curb and slides extend over some grass. We have never had a complaint about that.

Bighurt

I can only second the motion about parking to the rear of truck slots at stops and rest stations. Not only to trucks but to other RV's as well.

I was going to mention not putting out slides but Rmcgrath53 mentioned putting them out over grass or other non driving space, which is a great option.

I've seen many truck stops with Gas at the truck lanes just not on ever island, sometimes you'll have to drive a lap to find Gas if that's what you need. Otherwise I'd dolly down before filling with cars.

Pulling forward at truck stops is great if they allow for it, a few I've been to front a driving lane so you only pull out when full and paid. Otherwise pulling to the line or clear the pump (give about 20' clearance to the pump for longframe tractors) is a nicety. I always fill at the truck pumps when towing or not, and early am or mid afternoon are dead times around here so I rarely move after I'm full, usually because of the seven lanes I'm the only one there.

To clarify I use the truck lanes as it is typically fresher fuel.

Otherwise at all other stops, always ensure you have a way out!

Oh and the flashing lights is not big in the northern states I do it, but seldom receive it. Better to have courtesy and look weird than to look like an ***.