Generator Connection

Gizzy

I have been searching the forum looking for anyone who has an easy way to connect to a portable generator in the truck bed. It is a long way from the rear of the coach to the bed of the truck.

I was thinking of perhaps having a female 30 amp connector installed somewhere on the front of the coach so it would be easy to connect an extension cord from there to the generator in the truck bed when needed.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Re: Help connecting to potrable generator

You could use a 25 or 50 foot 30 amp extension cord.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

I like Jims idea of a 30 amp extension cord. The only other safe way to do it would be to install a transfer switch.
I noticed in you sig. you have an EMS HW. Using a genny with that may require a little creative wiring to fool it into thinking you do not have an open ground.

Peace
Dave

Duramax1

If you only use your generator to recharge your battery, you could connect a battery charger to your battery and then plug it into your generator.

I prefer to use my battery charger when dry camping as it will provide me with information as to % of charge and charge rate as well as indicate when the battery is fully charged. This type of information is not available from the control panel in the RV and enables you to only run the generator for so long as it takes to recharge the battery. Using the control panel in the RV is always a guessing game as to how long you should run the generator.

I should say however in order to get these readings I must isolate the battery which I am able to do as I have installed a battery cutoff switch

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Jerry, I'm right in the middle of doing what you are asking about. You are going to spend about $400.00 or so on parts .....IF you do it the right way and do the installation yourself. Its not hard to do....just time consuming and a bit of disassembly of the coach. PM me if you want to know what parts and where to get them.

hoefler

An extension cord is your most practical and economical way to go. I paid $125 for a new 50 amp cord and found that I needed it more than once to get hooked up in a park as well as my generator in the bed of the truck. You can get a 30 amp cord for around $30 at Wal-Mart.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

The extension cord is the cheapest way to go. Get a 30-50amp adapter and a long 30amp cord. Make sure you get a GOOD extension cord with at least # 10 wire. If you still want to go the other way....you must install the transfer switch, a "J" box, and a double 30amp circuit breaker in the breaker box in the coach. IF you don't, you could POOOOF somethings in the coach...IF someone hooked up the 50amp and 30amp from the genni at the same time. Don't use a 30amp plug at the front of the coach....use a 50amp with a jumper. The invitation is still open to PM me.

DougS

Doug S
Jerry,
I have just finished wiring my RV with a 30 amp shore line at the king pin. I had this on my last RV and I found it worked well for me. I have traveled on really hot days (107 degrees) and it takes a long time to cool the RVs. Now I have the option to cool the RV the last hour or two before we stop for the night.

When I order the RV, I had a transfer switch installed, but my last rig I installed the transfer switch myself. As for running the wire to the king pin, it only took me minutes for the Landmark, where my last rig it took me hours to run the wire.

One last thought, I like to have the gens in the truck bed, no fumes or vibration. I also use two Honda 2000's. My next project is a 2000 watt inverter.

Stinger381

Bob & Doug, I think these would both make great picture project threads if you ever do them again in the future. I'm reading everything you're saying but I like to look at pictures to get an idea of what all is involved before I start. I too have a generator in the back of the truck and as of right now I'm doing the extention ocrd thing too but it might be a fun project to take on sometime if I really wanted to do it right.

Bob&Patty

Doug, I was going to go that route...but...there was not enough room to run the 10-4 SO cable between the overhang cover and the frame.

Stinger, as soon as I get the new transfer switch I will post some pix.

herefishy

We have a Honda 2000 that we would like to leave in the truck bed and use the extension, but is there a way to assure that someone won't walk off with it? We leave it in the front compartment and wrestle it out to use it, then just use a bike cable to lock it to a landing gear leg, but would like to just leave it in the truck permanently. Just use the bike lock in the truck?

castaway

The Skipper
I too am thinking of doing the same thing, adding a 30 amp hookup at the front of the trailer. I am an electrican and plan to install a transfer switch to switch from one power sorce to another. This is in my opion the only safe way to do this. I have not looked into what is avalible yet from the supply house. My boat has a 50 amp manule switch that switches from shore power to 8kw gen. I may look at a switch like that. Marine products can be pricey. Let me know what you do.

Gary

DougS

Doug S
You can find 50 amp automatic transfer switch on any RV supply site, I ordered my 5th with transfer switch installed. On the Landmark the transfer switch is mounted a few feet from the converter mounted to the floor.
I also have a 30 amp automatic transfer switch before the 50 amp transfer switch which cost approx. $80. The inverter is primary and the secondary is the generator. I did find the 2,000 watt inverter would not throw the 50 amp transfer switch. I put in a switch to shut the 80 amp converter off when using the inverter. The rule we follow is, inverter on, converter off.
I also have a 30 amp plug at the king pin so I can run my two Honda 2000 while driving on the really hot days.

It's easy to make your own extension cord as you only need a few electrical parts such as a plug, service cord and screwdriver. Simply plug the cable ends into the socket and you're done. You need to apply 4 steps:
1: Prepare the socket and cable
2: Wire the socket
3: Fix the socket
4: Connect the plug.
Remember to choose a slightly longer cord to avoid having to use multiple extension cords, which would compromise power and safety.

Last edited: