Made The Change

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I picked up a "new to me" 2007 Dodge DRW 3500 Quad Cab 6.7 Cummins. I got a great deal on both this truck and my F250 trade. And with only 9054 miles, I should get a few miles out of her. Getting the windows tinted today, brake controller on Monday. I going back and forth between spray on or drop in bed liner. To many goodies to think about. Here's a few pics.

1z6aweg.jpg

152e4i1.jpg

mkde6b.jpg

Thanks for all the help from the many forum members.
I'll post more pics as the accessories start coming.

Jamie

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
I would go with spray in bed liner . The drop in bed liner would be fine for now until you need to be cut it for the 5er hitch in the future !! Plus water could collect under bed liner.

truknutt

Committed Member
Sigh, nice truck Jaime. My advice on the bedliner is to steer clear of the drop in if at all possible. If you plan to upgrade to a 5er, they'll just end up having to cut it to mount your hitch. I've had both drop in and sprayed in; with bed mat and without. I personally prefer the sprayed in with it's lack of maintenance & the safety of not having cargo slide around.

If it doesn't already have 'em, a set of guages to monitor EGTs, tranny temps, boost, etc would be an item to consider.

Have fun with the new toy. Accessorizing is the fun part, paying for it is what's hard!!

caissiel

Drop in bed liners only wear out the paint anyway.
I keep mine clear no liner and never had any problem with my last 5 trucks that I kept for years.
Use to store the drop in bedliner and put them in for trade in, never had any use for them myself.

scotty

Congrats on the new truck, looks great. Just a thought I purchased the bed liner kit from Pep-Boys for around 100 and rolled it on. Worked great and was a lot cheaper than paying to have it sprayed . That was in 07 and it has held-up extremely well. The spary does look a little smother however the roll on doesn't look bad.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Sigh, nice truck Jaime. My advice on the bedliner is to steer clear of the drop in if at all possible. If you plan to upgrade to a 5er, they'll just end up having to cut it to mount your hitch. I've had both drop in and sprayed in; with bed mat and without. I personally prefer the sprayed in with it's lack of maintenance & the safety of not having cargo slide around.

If it doesn't already have 'em, a set of guages to monitor EGTs, tranny temps, boost, etc would be an item to consider.

Have fun with the new toy. Accessorizing is the fun part, paying for it is what's hard!!

Dave,

I was thinking guages also. My question is, how hard are they to install?

Thanks
Jamie

Moose

Dave,

I was thinking guages also. My question is, how hard are they to install?

Thanks
Jamie

Jamie;

This is what I am going to install for monitoring my diesel. I will add the optional thermocouple to monitor EGTs. Other than that most of it is read from the OBDII. http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=145&pvk=405&pname=Insight+CTS&pvname=Insight+CTS+%28Fits+1996+and+Newer+OBDII-Enabled+Vehicles%29

It also takes a backup camera.

It appears they had some bugs when first released but with new software updates it is now A-OK it appears.

Here is a link to all the gory details at the Cummins Forum (skip to the end for the good news posts LOL) http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/edge-products/281228-all-new-insight-cs-cts.html

There is an optional dash mount kit that fits the dodge dash.

Last edited:

Jellystone

Great looking 3500 RAM! Of course, my vote is the spray in Rhino Liner. I've used it in my last two trucks and love it (will never go back to drop in ever again,first 2 trucks had it-ughhhh).

loafer

Jamie
What a great looking truck and such low miles looks almost new. Can you find me one LOL.
Enjoy the rig and playing with your new toy.Keep us posted as you get accessorized
Bill

PUG

Pug
Spray in liner only way to go. I had drop in on my 02 Chev and hated it. I had dealer spray in line on 09 Ram but should have paid more for a Linex or something like that. The dealers spray in liner was way way thinner than a Linex etc and chips easily.

Added triple guages (pyro, Trans, boost) from Diesel Manor. They have a very complete kit with pillar mts, etc and not bad putting in.

Added running boards full length on cab and mega ext.

Added rear veiw camera for hooking up and backing into places. Love it.more tucson 074-1.jpg

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
watch the rhino liners, and here is why! YES, it protects the bed.....ONLY from the top and the rust begins at the bottom...................Have had two that rusted from the bottom up and will never spray in a liner again!!!

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
My brother in law is a body and fender man who does hundreds of Rhino Liners and what they do to prevent the rust beginning from under the bed is spray the underbed also and this is what I did.....protects from both directions and sandwitches the metal.............works very well and it also protects all the other areas under the bed. Try It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your "new to you" truck. Looks great. About which bed protection to use, we put spray in liner (LineX) on our last 2 trucks. Like a previous post stated, the drop-in bed liner rubs the paint off underneath the liner. Also the drop-in is slick and things really don't stay put. Anyway - enjoy your truck/couch and travel safely.

porthole

Retired
Nice truck, good color choice.
Been there done that with the drop ins - only spray-ins now. Even had my motorcycle trailer rhino lined (bottom and 18" up the sides).

Don't know much about what Ford is using in the new trucks but I ordered ours with the factory spray in (as well as the factory 5th wheel hitch)