Spending this winter in Lexington, KY - how can I freezeproof the RV?

Rmcgrath53

Well here is my dilema. I live in Mi. but am working at the VA hospital in Lexington KY.
I am staying in my Sundance and travel back home on friday and stay for the weekend then go back to my sundance. I dont have a clue what to do to prepare for this winter. I know that it isnt as bad as mi. but still gets below freezing. Anybody have ideas as to how extensive do I get to keep my rig from freezing up? I am working from 6:00 pm to 4:00 am. and planning on keeping the temp furnace set at 55 degrees. I have a nice heated blanket. the water is left on all winter and the spicket has heat tape. Do I keep the grey water valve closed and only work the dumps when full? Do I wrap the sewer hose with heat tape? Any recommendation would be gratefull for PS I will probably be on this project another 4-5 months
Ron

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ron, a Heartland owner spent winter in Wyoming in his Cyclone. You can read about some of his winterization right HERE. Post number 25 has some good pics.
Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

I think moderator ( linuxkidd ) spent a winter in Lexington. You may try to get ahold of him for some info

grizzlygiant

I spent last winter in my Sundance in Danville, KY which is about 35 miles south of Lexington. It gets cold here in central KY...down to zero or below and it will not get above freezing for a week or so at a time. The furnace was inadequate to keep underbelly plumbing from freezing. I had to install a skirt to survive. Heat tape on the water hose and sewer hose were a must (wrapped with insulation of course). I even had to blow hot air into the enclosed space under the coach using a salamander on a few occasions of prolonged cold. We survived but will head to Arizona this winter!

ky-newbie

Hi,

I live in Lexington, and grizzlygiant said it pretty well. We usually get 4-5 snows a winter, maybe 2-3 inches, and one "good one", around 6-7 inches. I would expect the temps to be better than Michigan, though. It does get really cold and stay cold for up to a few weeks. Below zero is a little unusual - 5-10 is closer to the worst we have. A lot of RV's have the skirts.

Lannie

Rmcgrath53

Thanks for the responce so far. I bought an 18 foot and 6 foot heat cable and some pipe wrap insulation.I am going to get some 4 inch duct insulation and wrap my sewer hose.I was thinking of putting a small electric heater in the basement pointed into hot water tank area. and insulate the low point drains below kitchen and frsh tank drain.I dont want to skirt the unit but may have to.I see one guy in the park has done that for his Montana.Would it hurt if you put a quarter bottle of RV anti freeze in a tank then dump it every time? or would that hurt anything?
ron