Which WD to use

goducks11

I have a new NT 26LRSS, and it comes with the coupler welded on the bottom of the tongue. I currently use a round bar WD. I tow with an 08 F150. All weights are normal. With the round bar and because the coupler is on the bottom of the tongue it puts the WD bars on the last link to be level with the TT frame. Also get a really rough ride. 800lb bars, 600lb hitch. Would it be better to have a trunion setup with the coupler being welded to the bottom of the tongue.
Truck has 9500 tow rating.

jnbhobe

I don't know what difference it would make !! Although you need heavier bars for the weight you have.I always used trunion style square bars with a dual cam sway control. I have no experience with the round bars and have been pulling a 5er for 10 yrs.

GOTTOYS

I towed my TT with a round bar and also an Equal-I-Zer. I liked the Equal-I-Zer much better. Easy to hook up, no sway, pulled nice. Some people complain about the noise they make. They get better as they break in but are still noisy on turns. I never cared about the noise. Factory was very helpful with advice on which size to buy and any questions about set-up. Oh and did I mention it's American made..Don

hoefler

You need the hangers for your hitch. You can not use the hangers from another style hitch, it is a package, and all the components are designed to be use together for the best results. I would have the old hangers removed if they are in the way of the proper hangers, or purchase/trade for the hitch that matches the hangers. If you bought the unit from a dealer, he should know this and make it right.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You need the hangers for your hitch. You can not use the hangers from another style hitch, it is a package, and all the components are designed to be use together for the best results. I would have the old hangers removed if they are in the way of the proper hangers, or purchase/trade for the hitch that matches the hangers. If you bought the unit from a dealer, he should know this and make it right.

I would agree. When we bought the TT, the dealer provided the hitch and WDH system, along with the anti-sway bar. They set it up and showed me how to use it and where to connect the chains to keep it level. When I traded it in, they did not want the hitch or any of the accessories, even though they were in excellent condition.

goducks11

I wasn't planning on using any of the current stuff. Just buying a new setup. They told me I definately wouldn't need any sway controll. But I feel like I'm border line now. Just makes sense to hook up the WD with built in sway as opposed to adding a friction sway controll to the side if the tongue. Just trying to keep it simple.

goducks11

I don't know what difference it would make !! Although you need heavier bars for the weight you have.I always used trunion style square bars with a dual cam sway control. I have no experience with the round bars and have been pulling a 5er for 10 yrs.

Why would I need heavier bars? There rated 200lbs more than the hitch weight.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My TT weighed less than 6000 lbs. and I pulled it with an Avalanche rated for 7100 lbs. You definitely want anti-sway unless you want the tail to wag the dog.

hoefler

Why would I need heavier bars? There rated 200lbs more than the hitch weight.

The capacity of the bars are not related to the just the hitch weight. The capacity of the bars is determined by how much weight you want to transfer to the front axle of the tow vehicle, the hitch weight AND the weight in the back of the tow vehicle.

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Our previous TT was something like your NT26 with only 570lbs dry hitch weight. The WD hitch did not help it pull better as I tried many settings. The sway control made all the differiance in the world, your F-150 may need just a tad of help in regards to hitch weight. You might try by using the weakest link on your bar setting.