outside vents for fridge

bull

I have a lot of cold air coming in from outside vent compartments for the fridge. Being fridge is running on electricity can I seal outside air compatments? Also, what can I do about windows leaking air? I have tried plastic with double stick tape but does not stick due to moisture.

Willym

Can you explain a little more please. Exactly where is the cold air getting in? Where are your windows leaking? Perhaps you can also state what year and model you have. Someone should then be able to give some advice.

wdk450

Bull:
First of all, your vents are necessary to the operation of an RV Ammonia Absorbsion refrigerator. This is not the same as a home freon compressor refrigerator. I suggest you look at this URL for the detailed theory of how the refrig works: http://www.rvmobile.com/tech/Trouble/cooldoc.htm Look at this URL for how proper venting works: http://www.rvmobile.com/tech/Trouble/vent.htm Feel free to do whatever caulking around the front face to stop air intrusion, but don't mess with the back venting.
I don't know what to tell you about insulating your windows, but I do know that double pane windows are available on some models.

hoefler

As said above, the vents are absolutely necessary for proper operation of the refrigerator. You can stuff insulation all around the fridge, except between the back of the unit and the outside wall, air must flow across the back of the unit to cool.

The windows may not be leaking air at all, if it is cold enough out side, the transfer of cold from the outside to the inside, especially if you have single pane windows, can create a draft from the cold air forming on the inside falling to the floor. A good heavy curtain or insulating blinds will help dramatical. As far as putting plastic over the windows, you don't attach it to the window glass, you attach it to the window frame creating an air gap to form an insulating barrier like having double pane windows. Bigger the air gap, the better it works.

Gary521

I have a 3055 and there is a vent opening below the refrigerator. The vent opening below the refrigerator is a clear passage to the basement compartment. Yes, on a cold morning, there is a cold draft coming from this vent. Why is this vent here in the first place? Can it be closed off? If I close it off, are there any negative affects?

jimtoo

If your speaking of the vent inside the trailer under the fridge, that is the return air for the furnace, so you do need that opening. You might pull the 4 screws and check. Maybe the return duct is out of place.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 3055 and there is a vent opening below the refrigerator. The vent opening below the refrigerator is a clear passage to the basement compartment. Yes, on a cold morning, there is a cold draft coming from this vent. Why is this vent here in the first place? Can it be closed off? If I close it off, are there any negative affects?

When we had the 2008 BH, our cold air return also let a lot of cold air in. I blocked it off with a piece of cardboard. The furnace worked fine as it drew the air it needed from the basement. That made a huge difference in comfort. There is no shortage of places for fresh air to enter these things.

Peace
Dave

Gary521

I think that "bull" was referring to this cold air return when he was talking out the outside vent for the refrigerator.

jimtoo

You know.... It's really a shame that folks make a post and ask for help, but don't come back and say I read it,,, it helped... your wrong... no that's not it... or something.

Jim M