Looking for information on the 2011 GM HD3500 6.6 Duramax crew cab single tire 6.5 box.

mikeandconnie

Hello

I'm in the market for a 2011 GM HD3500 crew cab, they tell me SINGLE tire is rated for over 4000 payload 16900 5er towing. If someone has this truck can you confirm this for me off your max payload decal. The data off the GMC web also states this.

Thanks
Mike

Rickhansen

I do not have a 3500, so I cannot verify the sticker info. The 2500/3500, whether single or dual rear wheels all have approximately the same towing and payload capacity. I believe the 16,900 lb is for conventional towing and towing a 5th wheel is more like 21,700 lbs. There are some differences, whether your truck is 2WD or 4WD, etc.

jolar3329

This is what the brochure says:
Fifth Wheel Maximum Trailering
Crew Cab
2WD
4WD
Sierra SRW
Denali SRW
Sierra DRW
Denali DRW

branson4020

Icantre Member
WOW! Am I getting this right? The website lists the Denali dually 2WD curb weight as 7,700 lbs. If the towing capacity is 21,300, that makes the GCWR 29,000 lbs? That's a monster.

Rickhansen

I guess I was off on the trailering weights. Thanks to jolar3329 for the accurate info.

mikeandconnie, I haven't towed with this vehicle yet. We are full-time, have been here since August. We got the new truck in late August, and will likely be in this area until at least February. The Curt hitch is also new. I installed it in late September, and haven't hitched it yet. Sorry I can't be of any help yet with your question.

danemayer

Here's the label. 11,600 GVWR comes by way of an option. It's a crew-cab with single rear wheel, but 8' bed.

I'm pulling a 39' Landmark Rushmore with a max rating of 16,200. Pin weight on the base rig is 2200, but that's before the generator, washer/dryer, and stuff we carry with us.

View attachment 10832//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/pencil.png

mikeandconnie

Dan, I see it for myself, Thanks. I'm just doing my homework before I order one. How does she handle with a 39 footer behind her?
What is printed on the max payload on the red Tire sticker in the corner? I called a dealer today and it was off about 200 lbs. He wasn't sure why..

Mike

danemayer

The tire sticker shows a max payload of 3880.
The Sierra brochure shows 4WD CC SRW max payload at 4268.
The tire sticker might be geared to something less than the max configuration, or perhaps the tires are only rated for 3880.

I estimate we're carrying 400 lbs of people, 500 lbs of hitch, bed cover, tools, etc. in the bed, 250 lbs of fuel, 2200 lbs base pin weight, 400 lbs of generator & washer/dryer, and stuff in front closet. That's 3750 and there's probably some distributed weight from water and other cargo that's further back in the rig. So while I haven't done a 5 point weigh-in, I think we're probably close to, but under the 3880 limit. (As an aside, I looked at a very nice 1 ton Dodge SRW. The payload was around 2700 lbs, only slightly better than a 3/4 ton. I suppose Dodge was trying to force buyers into a DRW to get the payload. Had to tell the Dodge dealer that it was a non-starter for me.)

This is my first towing experience since pulling a 13 foot boat 30 years ago. Despite my inexperience, I would say that it handles extremely well. On a good road surface, I have to remind myself that I'm towing. There's no passing effect from semi's going either direction. I've been in moderate crosswinds without any handling issue. Acceleration (Diesel engine) is outstanding and brakes are very responsive with good stopping distance. The only handling issue I've experienced is some chuck and buck on the horrible roads in Michigan and Illinois.

mikeandconnie

Thanks for the info Dan, You have been really helpful. I think the options and skid plates lower the payloads. I need to stay with the single tire.Connie is a travel nurse and stays in our couch on assignments, thoses finder flars would not last a week with her driving.. She likes the mall parking gargar too much.LOL

Best Regards,
Mike

porthole

Retired
Here's the label. 11,600 GVWR comes by way of an option. It's a crew-cab with single rear wheel, but 8' bed.

I'm pulling a 39' Landmark Rushmore with a max rating of 16,200. Pin weight on the base rig is 2200, but that's before the generator, washer/dryer, and stuff we carry with us.

View attachment 10832//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/pencil.png

I recently found out that in New Jersey this truck will require commercial insurance. Anything more then 10K or more then 4 wheels :mad:

danemayer

I'm not sure why, but my Texas title doesn't use the configured GVWR. The title shows a weight rating of 9500. Perhaps the story in NJ is similar.

Warnerelli

Semper Fi
Mike,
Several variances are involved with max tow capacities, i.e., crew cab; four wheel drive, bed length, ball-hitch, fifth wheel, etc. The GMC/Chevrolet Trailer Guide states the following for the 2011 GM HD3500 6.6 Duramax crew cab single tire 6.5 box you mentioned. 2WD is 17,200 and 4WD is 17,000. To get the maximum they offer, which is 21,700 you would have to order a HD3500, regular cab, Big Dooley, Long Box 4x4. I got this information directly from the brochure given to me when I ordered my new GMC 2500 HD.