Draining the water heater..Which is the drain?

Trying to winterize my MPG and having trouble figuring out which is the drain on the water heater? I dont want to remove anythin until im sure what i am removing.LOL
So is this the drain...
001-20.jpg

I am confused because the next one has a tap where the ones i viewed in video's do not.
So is this the drain?
002-17.jpg

Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The drain is the rusty bolt in your first pic. The second pic is of an overtemp/high pressure relief valve. The water heater drain should be a 1-1/16 socket.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

Open the TP valve before pulling the drain plug ( annode rod ) or you WILL get WET lots of pressure

PUG

Pug
Remove the 1 1/16 rusty plug only after you have turned the electric (and gas) OFF, if you don't turn elec off it will fry the heating element... Check the anode that extends into the WH and replace if it is eaten up. Open the pressure relief valve. Leave both of these open and replace next spring.

PUG

Pug
I remembered after my first post that you should flush all the crap out of the WH. I made a fitting to fit on my hose but you can buy a flush kit also.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
The Rusty one is the anode. Turn off the water. Turn off the electric. Make sure the propane switch in the cabin is not turned on.

The water should be hot unless you turned it off some time before. Pull the lever on the pressure relief valve to take all the pressure off of the tank. The rusted nut is the back of the Anode which will let you drain the water out. You will need a socket for the 1 1/16" Anode. Probably need a short extension also. This will be hard to turn so be ready to put a lot of pressure to start the turning. When you get the Anode out you can use a brush (get one at an RV store. Long twisted rod with a round brush on the end). Use a small hose connected to a water hose and run water in the opening for the anode while you move the brush in and out to get the sediment out.

I would leave the anode out until you start to get set up for traveling next summer. You should probably close the relief valve. Be sure to set the valves to bypass the Water heater.

That is what i would do.

BC

Thanks everyone the great replies. For a rookie like me it sure is nice coming here and getting the help from the pro's.
Much appreciated.