Hot water heater/tank drain?

If we plan on using our EDGE all winter (probably at least bi-weekly), do you still need to drain the HWH after every use? We don't encounter much freezing here in Charleston, SC. If it's a bacterial/sanitary thing I understand, but I was thinking when you go on vacation you don't drain your home water heater every time.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
If you are using it every other week and freezing temps are not an issue, I personally would not drain it after every use! You might want to pull the anode rod a couple times a year and clean the tank out...replace the rod if needed etc.

Best of Luck!

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
If it is going to be below freezing temps. at all I would definitely drain the water heater and blow out or add the pink anti freeze to your system same as you would if you were leaving your home in cold whether without heat. Starting in Sept. in my neck of the woods I keep a close eye on what the forecasted temps. are suppose to be and if it even gets close to 30 degrees I drain all my irrigation pumps and fill them again the next day to avoid cracking a housing. I've also kept the heat on in our coach until it was drained (this past weekend) sigh.

If it is going to be below freezing temps. at all I would definitely drain the water heater and blow out or add the pink anti freeze to your system same as you would if you were leaving your home in cold whether without heat. Starting in Sept. in my neck of the woods I keep a close eye on what the forecasted temps. are suppose to be and if it even gets close to 30 degrees I drain all my irrigation pumps and fill them again the next day to avoid cracking a housing. I've also kept the heat on in our coach until it was drained (this past weekend) sigh.

Just out of curiosity who leaves their home in cold WEATHER without heat? Unless of course you heat by wood stove and are leaving with no one home to stoke the fires.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Plenty of people have second homes, on lakes, mountains, oceans to name a few that may only be used a couple months a year. There are also a lot of people that have "3 season cabins" that are winterized every fall. The point I was trying to make is if it gets cold I'll always err on the side of caution.