Hitch

HUJDIC

Looking for info for installing a rear hitch on my 2008 Bighorn 3100RL Must be strong enough to pull a 4-5000Lb/ Boat Photos/plans would be appricated THANKS

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Be aware that when you install a hitch or make any modification to the frame it may void the frame warranty. However I see your Bighorn is a 2008 and you are most likely out of warranty. My suggestion would be to go to a trailer, wheel, and frame dealer. They could look at your setup and make a recommendation and probably even install it.

GOTTOYS

That's a lot more weight than I would want to haul behind mine. That's gonna take a pretty strong well made hitch attached to a pretty strong trailer frame and brakes will be required on the boat trailer in most States. I think I would just use a second vehicle to pull the boat....Don

hoefler

You have to take into consideration how much tongue weight you have on the boat trailer. You will remove pin weight from your tow vehicle and add it to the trailer suspension in addition to adding the tongue weight of the boat to the fifth wheel. You fifth wheel is designed to have approximately 20-25% of its total weight on the tow vehicle. Your boat will have approximately 400-500 pounds of tongue weight. It will remove about the same amount from the pin. It will add 800-1000 pounds to the suspension of the fifth wheel. In most trailer fram construction, they are engineered stronger between the hitch and the suspension, the frame behind the suspension may not handle the additional weight of the tongue and drag of the total trailer.

Just my thinking.

ChopperBill

I had a hitch installed on the old 3055 to pull a 400lb trailer with about 1200lbs of ATV's. The professionals that installed the hitch made me sign a wavier that I would not pull over 3500lbs.