Window Washer Fluid

K

Ken Washington

Can someone please tell me why window washer fluid can not be used to winterize our trailers. It would sure be a lot cheaper than RV antifreeze.

Ken

ct0218

The RV antifreeze I've seen said non-toxic on the label. I haven't seen the ingredients in ww fluid and I don't remember seeing anything about its toxicity, but it smells like an alcohol base. The plastics in the plumbing system may absorb certain chemicals and odors in the ww fluid. Just a guess.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Ken Washington said:
Can someone please tell me why window washer fluid can not be used to winterize our trailers. It would sure be a lot cheaper than RV antifreeze.

Ken

Ken
I have used window washer fluid in my none drinking part for years with no ill effects. Like toilet sinks and showers, all drain lines , I use rv fluid in tanks and lines to taps. It saves a lot of RV fluid. I believe rv fluid is pushed for profit and because of drinking water, it is suposed to be safe.
Regards
Wayne F Wilson
Amherstburg ON
2005 Ram 3500 Quad SRW
Coachman Catilina (Soon to be Heartland Bighorn 3055)

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
wow, it took me less than 2 gallons of RV antifreeze to winterize my 3055. That is less than $8 Canadian!! For what I paid for the unit I should be able to afford the right antifreeze for the right job

phranc

I'm with you Sailorand on that one .. What do you figure you save by doing the traps with ww fluid ?? 2 maybe 3 quarts ?? .. about 2 bucks a year at that rate.. sheesh..........

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Thanks Sailorana & Phranc I guess next year I will for get the WW fluid.
Regards
Wayne

Bopper

Greetings:

There was an article on windshield washer antifreeze that stated that a one tablespoonful could kill a child and that 1/2 a cup could kill an adult. Smaller amounts would cause blindness, mental disability and severe physical motor problems. Scary thought.

Regards,
Bopper

2 adults and 2 very spoiled cocker spaniels
2006 Bighorn 3500RL

lbuchan

Fail to understand why someone would spend/invest the amount of money required to own a high-end unit like the Landmark or Bighorn then feel saving a few dollars on winterizing by using window washer fluid instead of the safe produce specifically designed for the portable water system is reasonable. Have to wonder about their other decision concerning "safety" with owning and operation of trailer/tow package. The two or three gallons of anti-freeze required to winterize the trailer properly is money well spend. A wise investment in the long run.

jpmorgan37

When Ken asked the question, he was looking for information which is what I thought this forum was all about. I think that by the 4th post he got his answer.

John

K

Ken Washington

Hi everyone,
I withdraw the question! Stupid Me, Don't Know Anything! You can rest assured that I know more than this question implies! Thanks John for coming to my rescue.

Ken