Storing RV with Slides In or Out

Being new to RV's, I have watched how some folks have their slides extended and some have their slides retracted when the RV's are in storage. I'd be interested in the pro's and con's of each approach. Obviously, snow accumulation is a con while ease of movement inside the RV is a pro of storing with the slides extended. Are there advantages for seals, drive mechanisms, etc that I have't thought of?

jnbhobe

Re: Storeing RV with Slides In or Out

If I am not useing my rig I leave the slides in. It sits in a heated garage in the winter but I only put the slides out when I am working on it.

olyfire

We have been RVing for years and have always kept our slides in when not in use. There's always a chance of leaks, especially in the winter. We keep a dehumidifier going all winter and when it gets down to freezing we have a heater going. There's no use drying and heating any more area than necessary. We have never had any problems with seals or the drive mechanisms. If you are concerned about the seals and drive it doesn't hurt to run the slides in and our occasionally. Hope that some help.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana

We have owned a BigHorn for 6 years now and we have our slide outs out most of the time and have not had any problems. We do have the slide outs in durig storage in the winter time. I would not worry about the issue of having the slide outs out for a long time.

caissiel

We get 4 ft of snow here so we keep them in for the winter when winterizing here. The cold dry air late in the fall is the best to keep the inside nice and dry for winter.

We never did any washing in the fall because it only introduce unnecessary humidity in the unit so washing was done earlier and closed the trailer much later after a well ventilated cool dry day.

When opening slides and closing them it introduces fresh air that helps in keeping the humidity out.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Since we've become anytimers, if we have no need to go in & out of the RV for anything, I leave the slides retracted. No point in exposing the roof to the elements or potential water intrusion. Everything stays clean & dry.

PUG

Pug
I leave them in when not in use. Sun will eat up your seals. Bugs and dirt can get in easier.
D

porthole

Retired

If I am not using my rig I leave the slides in. It sits in a heated garage in the winter but I only put the slides out when I am working on it.

When can I bring the Cyclone - I'll buy lunch!

aatauses

Hi everyone,
Will tag on to this thread as I also have a question about storing. We are full timers, however we are going on vacation!!!!!. We will be out of the country for about 4 weeks and plan on storing the rv. Wondering about the slides and gathered that we should have them in----what about refer--we will not have electric so should we depend on propane or should we empty the refer?? Other concerns include rodents, moisture, condensation, any help you can give me on this is always appreciated.
al

caissiel

I park 3 cars for the winter. Most of the protection I use is mote balls by the tires and Dryer sheets in the car, trunk and engine area. Keeps the rodents in check. They love the sweet tast of coolant and will eat them for a deadly taste.

porthole

Retired

Hey Duane; I should be ready for you the second tuesday of next week. LOL

Well I won't have the truck until December and my GMC leaves on Wednesday. So I'll have to wait until the 3rd Wednesday of the 4th week of December.
And I'll even let you cook up your famous breakfast!