PDA

View Full Version : RV Insurace

B. Lee
12-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Does anybody have a good insurance company they can recomend. I have received bids from $400 to $2,000 per year. I hope to find a balance of price and service. I had Foremost before but never had a claim, but they rather pricy. Gmac is resonalbe but I do not know if they will service their contract well.

Thanks, Butch

jbeletti
12-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Butch,

Based on the recommendation of the former co-founder of this forum (Jeff), I tried American Modern Insurance. I am on my second year with them now. I have not had any claims so I cannot speak from a service perspective.

I can tell you that my annual premium is around $500. That is for replacement coverage at a rate I specified.

American Modern Insurance as sold through
Atlas Insurance Agency
PO Box 688
Amelia, OH 45102-0688
(800) 543-2644 - Tammi Dugger: option 9+5135

tdharley
12-19-2006, 04:00 PM
I too have had American for all my RV's. Reasonable, but thats all I can tell you. I have never had a claim.

Oh yeah and they never forget to send me a premium bill...LOL

trdeal
12-19-2006, 05:52 PM
I have GMAC, through Good Sam, on all our vehicles but thank The Lord, have never had to file a claim with them.

ct0218
12-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Terry, we have GMAC also, and no claims. I think Cooper has GMAC and the recent claim from tire blowout damage, might want to check with him.

ChopperBill
12-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Dido on the GMAC thru GS.

jpmorgan37
12-19-2006, 06:32 PM
I have had GMAC through Good Sam for six or seven years now. I have it on all of my vehicles and I have had three claims. One when my hitch broke and dropped the coach on my bed. $3200 for two new sides to my pickup and they paid without a question. Another time when I caught a tree limb and tore the fiberglass and rubber roof on my coach, again they paid without a question. The last was when Sue's car had a stone break her windshield. They gave me my choice of places to get it replaced and it didn't cost a penny. I thought that I had $50 deductible on glass but they said I had full coverage. Also as I have relocated, it was a matter of a phone call to have my policy switched to my new residence. I now have fulltimers coverage and when I did my comparison checking, I couldn't beat GMAC or even come close. Most companies wanted to split my policies and have different policies for each vehicle. With GMAC, it's all on the same policy.

John

Chulinw
12-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Glad to hear reports about Good Sam. I just got State Farm renewal notice and I was shock at the new price that they wanted for my Honda car. I am going to give them a call and check them out. Good news for me.

Ray LeTourneau
12-19-2006, 07:14 PM
We have Progressive for both our Truck and 5th wheel. Their full timers policy mirrors GMAC but about 30% cheaper depending on your cridit history and claim history. No claims yet so I can't judge their worth.

tdharley
12-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Just today I paid my renewal for my GS towing policy. So since I was thinking about it I sent in my info to them for an insurance quote.

This is what I got back:

2006 TRAI HEARTLAND BIG HORN
Other Than Collision $250 Deductible
Towing And Labor Costs $75
Collision $500 Deductible
Personal Effects $3,000
Based on the information you provided and the above coverages, the total cost to insure your vehicle(s) for six months is $305.00. (NOTE - Liability coverages for non-motorized vehicles are assumed by the towing vehicle.)

Their quote did not include replacement cost value and was for 6 months.

I pulled my American Modern Home policy and found that the only differences in the policies was that my policy only covers 2,000.00 in personal property and has a 500.00 ded. but the total premium for 12 months was $320.00, the GS/GMAC policy was 305.00 for six months.

Am I missing something????

jpmorgan37
12-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Tom;
One of the things that I did when I was doing Insurance comparisons was to take my existing policy and call the other company that I was looking at. That way I could compare apples to apples. It's amazing how things change when you talk to them and tell them what you have item by item. Maybe your American Modern Home is the way to go. Good luck.
John

tdharley
12-19-2006, 09:04 PM
This was bothering me so I did as you suggested John.

As you all may know I just recently lost my 2004 Ford f350 to a dashboard fire. I wanted to make sure I am covered properly for the BH. I called GMAC's number they gave me with the quote to follow up with. I went line by line with the rep. and she explained each and adjusted their qoute to match. She adjusted my deductible and added a replacement cost value to her quote. I then told her my American modern policy was a 12 month policy. She said she could drop the collision coverage for 6 months and only charge me for fire & theft. The first 6 months of active usage came to 375.00 with the adjustments and the second 6 months was an additional 118.00. For a total of 493.00 per year.

I do like GMAC as a company (I deal with them for bridge & construction loans) but they are high in this market.

One peice of advise I will give anybody who will listen is replacement cost value coverage is important. They actually paid me more for my truck than I paid for it. Without it they would of given me a depreciated value.

svd
12-19-2006, 09:36 PM
I compared my current Foremost policy to GMAC, and here is what I received:

2006 TRAI HEARTLAND 3400 5TH
Other Than Collision $250 Deductible
Towing And Labor Costs $75
Collision $500 Deductible
Personal Effects $3,000
Based on the information you provided and the above coverages, the total cost to insure your vehicle(s) for six months is $283.00. (NOTE - Liability coverages for non-motorized vehicles are assumed by the towing vehicle.)

When I called to compare line by line, I was told the premium would be reduced to $255/6 months if I paid in full for those 6 months. In addition, I could reduce the monthly amoritized cost by $18.50 for each month it is parked, for me that is 6 months. That brings the total annual premium to $399.

The policy replaces my trailer with like brand and model for the first 5 years following manufacture, and then re-imburses the purchase price for years 6-10. I am going to switch, I am paying nearly $600 now.

jbeletti
12-19-2006, 10:21 PM
tdharley,

Replacement coverage on my truck, now there's an idea. I am sure I don't have that. Replacement on the trailer only. Thanks for the idea.

Tom of Ypsi
12-20-2006, 07:03 AM
We have Progressive Insurance at the moment and have been very satisfied with them. We are going fulltime this, by June, and most likely will be using S. Dakota as our new address. We are finding Progressive does not handle S. D. for fulltimers but GMAC (Good Sam) does. For the trailer with full repllacement value, $3,000 personal effects ad everything else included is $457 for six months. For the truck, full replacement and everything else included $373 for six months. Total between the two is $830 and if paid in full reduced to $752.

jpmorgan37
12-20-2006, 07:44 AM
That was one of the things that I ran into, not only with Progressive but with others too. Progressive wanted to write my Landmark in one policy and my car and truck in another policy (separate) because I didn't stay in South Dakota all the time. And it was considerably more money. Anyway, different companies have different rules for different states.

John

Cooper
12-20-2006, 08:03 AM
I do have GMAC and I had no problems getting them to pay. They sent a check out almost as soon as they got the claim. I wish they would have sent me the check to hold so I would have some leverage with the bodyshop. They sent the check to the bodyshop before they started.
I used All In One BodyShop in Denton Tx. and they had to redo it twice and still did not repair it right. I have ordered the inner fender panels they did not install. They cut a big hole in the panel below the water control closet. I will have to put a patch panel over. They did not even clean that side of the trailer just the spot they worked on.
They tried to charge for some thing's they did not do but we worked that out.

DennisZ
12-20-2006, 10:55 AM
I have RV America insruance with declining $500 dedectables and guaranteed replacement cost for the first 5 years, the premium was $311 for a full year.

Dennis

randes
12-20-2006, 02:57 PM
When I was talking to the owner of Americas-Mailbox about his mail-forwarding service in SD, he suggested I get a quote from Explorer RV for RV & Truck insurance. He said he had been with them for a number of years and had had several claims. All paid to his satisfaction. Said he had tried other companies prior to Explorer and that they had the best prices he had found.

That's my 2 cents worth. :) I haven't got my vehicles yet, but when I do I will get a quote from them. The link is http://www.explorerrv.com/getaquote1.asp

Uncle Rog
12-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Howdy, I need to rethink my coverage, I assumed we were covered by the tow vehicle, never even considered additional protection. Here is another thought, since the warranty is only one year on these rigs has anyone gone with the GS coverage for repairs? It looks like a good deal, one year for 300-400 bucks, if a slide goes bad or a reefer you would get you $ back real quick.......

SmokeyBare
12-21-2006, 11:34 AM
I selected a company called RV America Insurance. I'm not sure if they are different than the company Jim and Harley mentioned. I had State Farm for both my truck and Fifthwheel. I still have State Farm for the Truck, but have gone to a Full TIme Policy and coverage for the Fifthwheel.

They offer a Full Replacment coverage for the first 5 model years (on a New Fifthwheel) The after that, the coverage converts to the Purchase price you paid for the RV. Lots of other coverage as well... Personal Liability coverage... Hail Damage... Awning Replacment.... And More...

Below is the Link:

http://www.rv-insurance-coverage.com/

Marv

5erWonk
12-29-2006, 12:30 AM
I have AAA and unfortunatly I have recently had a major claim when my Montana was totalled. The unit was only four months old and they paid the current value which was the same price I paid for the unit. The other driver was at fault in the accident but only had $5K in property damage on his policy.

I can't say enough about the people at AAA, the settlement was complete on the trailer 15 days after the accident, this is service after the sale!! Unforunatly I do not know what my premiums are, but I do know they were very competitive in the industry.

billd
12-29-2006, 01:12 AM
I use AAA (Auto club of So Calif) on my Bighorn 3670. The premium for the year is $333.00. This is current as of Nov 2006 - Nov 2007. It was easy to add to my existing policy I have with them.

Bill

cdbMidland
12-29-2006, 10:52 AM
I have AAA in Michigan and had a $4,000 claim last March in Florida (fixed in Indiana). They were good to work with. They were the most competitive of all the companies I checked with. Hope my claim doesn't do much with my 2007 premiums.

I recently added AAA Plus RV to my membership for about $27 more/year. Losts more coverage - if you have AAA, please check into Plus RV.

Jim_1899
01-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Being an insurance agent and representing GMAC for auto insurance I was not able to sell the RV insurance until an annoucement they since GM sold the GMAC. Now they are selling through independent agents, I will have to see if The Good Sams Club will find another Insurance Company are if they will continue to sell the insurance too.

I sell RV insurance through, Progressive, The Hartford, American Modern, Foremost, and GMAC. Each quote a different company comes out the best it just depends on how they slot you, based on your credit, age, zip code, ect. One time one company will be way lower but on the next quote they are much higher. It keeps us busy inputting to get the best deal for people on their auto, home and rv insurance coverage.

jimtoo
01-16-2007, 09:07 PM
Jim 1899, could you tell me what a persons credit report or rating has to do with insurance rates? :confused:
Jim

ct0218
01-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Jim, when did GM sell the GMAC insurance? just renewed mine in the last few weeks and I didn't see any changes. Are they getting out of the insurance business?

Jim_1899
01-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Here is a link about the GM selling GMAC in November 2006. GMAC did finance, mortgage and insurance. A sale can make things better. One thing for sure is that changes will occur and with Citi Group being one of the new owners they have a lot of experience, they had owned Travelers Insurance Company. GMAC will continue to sell insurance, and they have expanded just recently to sell through agents and not just through KOA and Sams Club.

http://www.gmacfs.com/us/en/about/media/media_fact.html

Jim_1899
01-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Jimtoo,

The insurance companies have shown a correlation between credit and losses. I sometimes enter the quote with the husbands name, date of birth and ss# and do the quote. Then re enter a new quote using the wife's information and with all the coverage the same I can get a better rate for one or the other.

Sometimes the rate comes out too low with someone that everything fits the companies magic profile, we call it the black box that no one knows. Other times the rate is so high I dread calling them back with the quote. The next time its different, things have changed alot.

I agree with you though it hails on rv's, homes and auto's regardless of the credit. Here is a link to an explanation that Progressive Direct and the other the explanation by Allstate about credit.

http://www.progressivedirect.com/insider/credit.asp http://www.allstate.com/About/PageRender.asp?page=credit.htm

Jim

jimtoo
01-17-2007, 01:41 AM
Jim 1899, Thanks for the links, very informative. I knew that the score was used, but I never inquired as to why or how much it influenced the rate. Always before when I have ask agent about it, I got the reply, "Don't worry about it, yours is in the best bracket." So, I never went any further. I guess I was happy with the rate, cause I paid it.

Thanks again Jim,
I'm Jimtoo
Jim