RV Insurace

B. Lee

Firecapt422
Does anybody have a good insurance company they can recomend. I have received bids from $400 to $2,000 per year. I hope to find a balance of price and service. I had Foremost before but never had a claim, but they rather pricy. Gmac is resonalbe but I do not know if they will service their contract well.

Thanks, Butch

jbeletti

Butch,

Based on the recommendation of the former co-founder of this forum (Jeff), I tried American Modern Insurance. I am on my second year with them now. I have not had any claims so I cannot speak from a service perspective.

I can tell you that my annual premium is around $500. That is for replacement coverage at a rate I specified.

American Modern Insurance as sold through
Atlas Insurance Agency
PO Box 688
Amelia, OH 45102-0688
(800) 543-2644 - Tammi Dugger: option 9+5135

tdharley

I too have had American for all my RV's. Reasonable, but thats all I can tell you. I have never had a claim.

Oh yeah and they never forget to send me a premium bill...LOL

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I have GMAC, through Good Sam, on all our vehicles but thank The Lord, have never had to file a claim with them.

ct0218

Terry, we have GMAC also, and no claims. I think Cooper has GMAC and the recent claim from tire blowout damage, might want to check with him.

jpmorgan37

I have had GMAC through Good Sam for six or seven years now. I have it on all of my vehicles and I have had three claims. One when my hitch broke and dropped the coach on my bed. $3200 for two new sides to my pickup and they paid without a question. Another time when I caught a tree limb and tore the fiberglass and rubber roof on my coach, again they paid without a question. The last was when Sue's car had a stone break her windshield. They gave me my choice of places to get it replaced and it didn't cost a penny. I thought that I had $50 deductible on glass but they said I had full coverage. Also as I have relocated, it was a matter of a phone call to have my policy switched to my new residence. I now have fulltimers coverage and when I did my comparison checking, I couldn't beat GMAC or even come close. Most companies wanted to split my policies and have different policies for each vehicle. With GMAC, it's all on the same policy.

John

C

Chulinw

Glad to hear reports about Good Sam. I just got State Farm renewal notice and I was shock at the new price that they wanted for my Honda car. I am going to give them a call and check them out. Good news for me.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have Progressive for both our Truck and 5th wheel. Their full timers policy mirrors GMAC but about 30% cheaper depending on your cridit history and claim history. No claims yet so I can't judge their worth.

tdharley

Just today I paid my renewal for my GS towing policy. So since I was thinking about it I sent in my info to them for an insurance quote.

This is what I got back:

2006 TRAI HEARTLAND BIG HORN
Other Than Collision $250 Deductible
Towing And Labor Costs $75
Collision $500 Deductible
Personal Effects $3,000
Based on the information you provided and the above coverages, the total cost to insure your vehicle(s) for six months is $305.00. (NOTE - Liability coverages for non-motorized vehicles are assumed by the towing vehicle.)

Their quote did not include replacement cost value and was for 6 months.

I pulled my American Modern Home policy and found that the only differences in the policies was that my policy only covers 2,000.00 in personal property and has a 500.00 ded. but the total premium for 12 months was $320.00, the GS/GMAC policy was 305.00 for six months.

Am I missing something????

Last edited:

jpmorgan37

Tom;
One of the things that I did when I was doing Insurance comparisons was to take my existing policy and call the other company that I was looking at. That way I could compare apples to apples. It's amazing how things change when you talk to them and tell them what you have item by item. Maybe your American Modern Home is the way to go. Good luck.
John

tdharley

Called GMAC

This was bothering me so I did as you suggested John.

As you all may know I just recently lost my 2004 Ford f350 to a dashboard fire. I wanted to make sure I am covered properly for the BH. I called GMAC's number they gave me with the quote to follow up with. I went line by line with the rep. and she explained each and adjusted their qoute to match. She adjusted my deductible and added a replacement cost value to her quote. I then told her my American modern policy was a 12 month policy. She said she could drop the collision coverage for 6 months and only charge me for fire & theft. The first 6 months of active usage came to 375.00 with the adjustments and the second 6 months was an additional 118.00. For a total of 493.00 per year.

I do like GMAC as a company (I deal with them for bridge & construction loans) but they are high in this market.

One peice of advise I will give anybody who will listen is replacement cost value coverage is important. They actually paid me more for my truck than I paid for it. Without it they would of given me a depreciated value.

svd

I compared my current Foremost policy to GMAC, and here is what I received:

2006 TRAI HEARTLAND 3400 5TH
Other Than Collision $250 Deductible
Towing And Labor Costs $75
Collision $500 Deductible
Personal Effects $3,000
Based on the information you provided and the above coverages, the total cost to insure your vehicle(s) for six months is $283.00. (NOTE - Liability coverages for non-motorized vehicles are assumed by the towing vehicle.)

When I called to compare line by line, I was told the premium would be reduced to $255/6 months if I paid in full for those 6 months. In addition, I could reduce the monthly amoritized cost by $18.50 for each month it is parked, for me that is 6 months. That brings the total annual premium to $399.

The policy replaces my trailer with like brand and model for the first 5 years following manufacture, and then re-imburses the purchase price for years 6-10. I am going to switch, I am paying nearly $600 now.

jbeletti

tdharley,

Replacement coverage on my truck, now there's an idea. I am sure I don't have that. Replacement on the trailer only. Thanks for the idea.

Tom of Ypsi

We have Progressive Insurance at the moment and have been very satisfied with them. We are going fulltime this, by June, and most likely will be using S. Dakota as our new address. We are finding Progressive does not handle S. D. for fulltimers but GMAC (Good Sam) does. For the trailer with full repllacement value, $3,000 personal effects ad everything else included is $457 for six months. For the truck, full replacement and everything else included $373 for six months. Total between the two is $830 and if paid in full reduced to $752.

jpmorgan37

That was one of the things that I ran into, not only with Progressive but with others too. Progressive wanted to write my Landmark in one policy and my car and truck in another policy (separate) because I didn't stay in South Dakota all the time. And it was considerably more money. Anyway, different companies have different rules for different states.

John

Cooper

I do have GMAC and I had no problems getting them to pay. They sent a check out almost as soon as they got the claim. I wish they would have sent me the check to hold so I would have some leverage with the bodyshop. They sent the check to the bodyshop before they started.
I used All In One BodyShop in Denton Tx. and they had to redo it twice and still did not repair it right. I have ordered the inner fender panels they did not install. They cut a big hole in the panel below the water control closet. I will have to put a patch panel over. They did not even clean that side of the trailer just the spot they worked on.
They tried to charge for some thing's they did not do but we worked that out.

DennisZ

I have RV America insruance with declining $500 dedectables and guaranteed replacement cost for the first 5 years, the premium was $311 for a full year.

Dennis

randes

RV Insurance

When I was talking to the owner of Americas-Mailbox about his mail-forwarding service in SD, he suggested I get a quote from Explorer RV for RV & Truck insurance. He said he had been with them for a number of years and had had several claims. All paid to his satisfaction. Said he had tried other companies prior to Explorer and that they had the best prices he had found.

That's my 2 cents worth. :) I haven't got my vehicles yet, but when I do I will get a quote from them. The link is http://www.explorerrv.com/getaquote1.asp

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I need to rethink my coverage, I assumed we were covered by the tow vehicle, never even considered additional protection. Here is another thought, since the warranty is only one year on these rigs has anyone gone with the GS coverage for repairs? It looks like a good deal, one year for 300-400 bucks, if a slide goes bad or a reefer you would get you $ back real quick.......