Particle Board

Treeban

Caliber Senior Owner
Perhaps I could offer a suggestion for the Caliber people? The wooden base for the bed is made from particle board. Whenever I move the mattress, it leaves many many slivers of that particle board on the floor & also stuck to the bottom of the mattress. Needless to say, you don't want to step on those slivers with a bare foot! I suggest they use press-board for future builds. I installed a plastic sheeting over the particle board which makes moving the mattress a lot easier & eliminates the particles-of-wood-on-the-floor issue.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Treeban, the OSB used in any construction is much stronger than particle board. So I guess that is why the factory uses it.
Many people, including myself, have lined the bed platform with stick on vinyl floor tiles. This makes the mattress easy to slide when changing sheets etc. And it will eliminate the worry of slivers.

Peace
Dave

Treeban

Caliber Senior Owner
Cookie, thanks for the reply. Moving the mattress to change sheets, make the bed, etc. is now much easier with the plastic sheeting.I was unaware of the strength factor. Maybe the factory could/should install something like we have done to eliminate the problem in the first place? Duramax rules!

Attachments

• Steve & Lynda.jpg
    Steve & Lynda.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 15

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have done the same thing, but I found a remnant of a vinyl flooring sheet. Glued it to the wood. Works great. We also didn't like the mattress so we had a custom natural rubber mattress that is 71x80 rather than 72x80. We sleep great and have no problem changing sheets except for the weight.

BC

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Also, if your referring to melamine when you say "press board", it is very heavy. Weight is a very important factor when bulding these rigs. We also used a sheet of vinyl material similar to boat cushions. We found it at a remnant fabric shop.