Thinking about Buying a Greystone 32RE

mjlaing

We are thinking about getting a greystone 32re and have been reading the problems with the slides and moisture. We are suppose to make up our minds this weekend, but am leaning to not buying this rv. Any responses?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: mjlaing

mjlaing, Several things to keep in mind about this forum. It is intended as a method of communicating and helping owners that may be having problems. It is also a way for Heartland members to meet and socialize with other Heartland owners. Consider the number of Heartland trailers on the road. There are thousands. When you compare that to the number of concerns you may read on the forum, it is a small percentage.

Most manufacturers use the same design to seal slide rooms. If a slide out is leaking, it may only be out of adjustment. An easy fix. Key thing is to inspect your trailer often and maintain the integrity of the caulking. This goes for all brands. Some of the problems you may be reading about have been addressed by the factory in that they change how they build the RV and eliminate future trouble.

Another thing to consider. Heartland monitors this forum and responds to it's members and owners. How many brands do you hear of doing that. We hope you choose Heartland but in the end, it's your call. Good Luck shopping.

RoadJunkie

As with any major purpose, I would suggest you go with your best--well informed--instinct. Not many people spend time on a forum touting non-events about their RVs, but if something breaks or the unit develops problems, you may read about it on several forums. Good luck in your selection.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired

Mjlaing, We don't have the gerystone but I can tell prior to buying our Big horn I did alot of reading on this forum and almost talked myself out of buying a trailer altogether (didn't need another job). Then, the more I thought about it, here is an open forum for people to talk about their issues openly with Heartlands blessing. The other thing that occurred to me was Heartland probably builds alot of trailers and the people that don't have problems you never hear from so we ended up buying. On our first trip we happened to going through Elkhart and decided to stop in to see for ourselves this David in the land of Goliath and were AMAZED at the size of the "family". Hundreds and hundres of all manner of trailers lined up. We were looking to buy a table and pulled up to some gate. We were in the wrong place but were given a map to get to the right place where we met Cindy and she helped us out. I've spoken with her since then and she remembers me and asks how's Tucker's doing. We love our Heartland and the customer service they have provided so far. Also please consider this is our first Rv so you may want to check back in 5 years to see if my feelings have changed.

We recently bought a Greystone 32RL. Have only used it twice so far (once out of state) so not a lot of experience. We have not had any problems and like the unit. We've looked at other brands and have become more confident about our choice. Some things we did based on what we have read in the forum are: 1) peeled decals off windows - not hard when the unit is new. We used just fingernails to start then pulled evenly. Do this on a warm day. 2) Torqued axle u-bolts, wheel lug nuts and king pin box bolts. Be sure to do this before use and then periodically when using. 3) used a felt tip pin to mark the extent of travel for the landing gear - this easy step has saved us from blowing fuses (our landing gear fuse is in-line behind the battery). 4) Mounted a battery disconnect switch on the bulkhead above the battery - Heartland should have thought of this. 5) Put butterfly toggles on the access port in the basement to make it easier to get to the siphon hose for winterizing the water system. All of these are minor items but we are much happier for having done them.

jheitman

I have a 32RE. it is my first 5W. I use the forum mainly to exchange information. When I see a lot of similar posts I look harder at that issue but dont assume it is a fundamental flaw. We visited both the Heartland and Keystone factories. I was really surprised to see so much commonality in components. Both use Lippert frames, slides and pin boxes. Both use the same China PowerKing tires. We have had a few problems mainly with quality control. We saw a very strong QA process at Keystone. Overall we are VERY pleased with our 32RE.

D

Dave Willis

I'm glad you are looking at Heartland products. I just check with my service dept to see if we are having problems with our slideouts leaking. They told me that we have had some isolated issues out there. Most of the time it turns out that it's a customer maintenance issue. Just like anything you purchase, if you don't take care of it you could run into some problems. I'm not saying that we build the perfect unit, because no one does. I've been in a Million Dollar Motorhome that I saw many issues with. That being said, I will put the Sundance and Greystone Fifth Wheels up against any of my competitions product and you find fewer issue in the Heartland Products!

Thanks,

jheitman

I'm glad you are looking at Heartland products. I just check with my service dept to see if we are having problems with our slideouts leaking. They told me that we have had some isolated issues out there. Most of the time it turns out that it's a customer maintenance issue. Just like anything you purchase, if you don't take care of it you could run into some problems. I'm not saying that we build the perfect unit, because no one does. I've been in a Million Dollar Motorhome that I saw many issues with. That being said, I will put the Sundance and Greystone Fifth Wheels up against any of my competitions product and you find fewer issue in the Heartland Products!

Thanks,

Dave:
We had a number of fit and finish issues when we picked up our unit, even after the dealer had supposedly gone over it in detail. The oven was tilted in its mount and we can't imagine how so many QA STEPS could have missed this very obvious problem. We had problems with our axels and many detailed issues the dealer had to fix. One thing we noticed at Keystone was their QA forced a lot of rework details like cleanup of excess caulk on moldiing. We didn't see quite the same QA presence at Heartland. Now that Heartland is part of Keystone maybe some of their QA philosophy will infiltrate Heartland.
Building a dwelling to hold up racing down freeways is quite a challenge. If I had to do it again i'd buy another Greystone. I like the mid profile overall. I like the lower profile because it has less drag and the aero shape is the best around. The platinum finish really looks great and holds up well in weather. We really like the two tone finish inside. The 32re is the layout, with a big roomy feeling inside. We use the fire place a lot and love it. The 32re is just light enough that I can comfortably pull it with a gas truck. Overall its design is perfect and again I strongly recommend it. I'm 6' 2" tall and have to bend over in the bedroom a little, but all the other plusses out weigh that minor issue.
I know all 5w brands need to be fixed by the dealer to move toward everything being perfect. We made a number of short trips returning to the dealer to shake things out. I recommend everyone should plan to do this before heading out. We are going cross country right now and everything is going smoothly so far. We love our Greystone 32RE.

jheitman

Thanks,

Dave:
I wasn't aware of any maintenance that I was supposed to accomplish on the slide seals to keep them from deteriorating. Could you tell us in general what slide maintenance is recommended?