Feedback to Heartland on 21FBS bed

chrispitude

After taking two weekend trips in our recently-delivered 2011 21FBS, I wanted to provide the following feedback to Heartland:

1. We ordered the upgraded pillow top mattress, hoping it would be a worthwhile upgrade from a standard RV mattress. Unfortunately, we did not find this option to be worth the money - it still felt like we were sleeping on a thin unsupportive mattress laying on a sheet of plywood.
  2. The end of the mattress overhangs the plywood it's sitting on. (I don't know if this is because the pillowtop mattress is longer than a standard mattress or not.) More than once, I went to sit on the end of the bed to put on my shoes, and almost fell backwards as the mattress flopped down from underneath me. It would be very good to support the end of the mattress so this doesn't happen.
Aside from the mattress, we've been exceptionally happy with the unit. There are many nice interior upgrades over our 2008 Rockwood. The bathroom was roomy, especially the shower. There is still an issue with the drum brakes not being adjusted properly upon delivery, but I'll take that up with the dealer next spring.

Ride1st

I agree that the upgraded mattress was a big disappointment in our 21fbs. We ended up spending another $100 at Walmart for a memory foam pillow top for on top of the mattress. It made a big difference. I also agree about the support for the end of the bed. I replaced the plywood underneath the mattress and added support legs so we now can sit on the end of the bed.

Hunter

Newby
2854827530104578315S200x200Q85.jpg

We (actually DH) took off the chipboard and used it as a diagram for the plywood. We added 6" in length extra and then added legs. This now made it a true queen size bed. We did not want to spend the money on another mattress, so we filled the top 6" (near the top of the bed) with rolled up pillows. We then covered it with 2" memory foam. One of the best modifications that we made on the trailer.

For more pictures and information on this mod go to:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/570828239yHqNWK

2854827530104578315ZSmEzR_fs.jpg

Last edited:

jbsiii

Hmm... We popped for the upgraded mattress, and have been very happy with it. I also did the lengthening mod to the base and filled in the gap at the head of the bed. I went with stiffeners around the edge of the base in lieu of the legs. So far, so good!

We did get a deluxe mattress cover with extra cushioning, though, and get great nights sleep consistently.

Overall, I think it's a worthwhile upgrade.