mpg with the mpg

I have a dodge 1/2 ton PU with the Hemi. I'm currently a propective buyer for the mpg.
The hemi actually runs on 4 cylinders if kept under 64 mph. I get about 21 hwy that way. I'm thinking that with this trailer in tow I would get at least 15 mph due to the extra torque. Does anyone have this configuration? My other choice would be a hilo, but I don't really care for the design.

KJR

In theory you should get 15mpg at 60mph. I'm not sure this shape is really that aerodynamic. Not many in this forum are giving examples of fuel mileage. The best I've read is 13.5mpg with a 6 cylinder. Rpod owners are reporting only 10-12 mpg.
I'm not sure you would want to consider a HiLo. The company went out of business and finding parts for these trailers may be difficult.

Kelvin

This is my first post on this forum. We purchased a MPG 182 at 1:00 pm on Tuesday 11/9/10 and were in a beautiful campsite at Oscar Scherer State Park, Osprey Fl at 2:30 pm. The 182 was fantastic and everything we thought it would be. Very comfortable, warm (48 degrees outside) with just a small electric ceramic space heater. Did not use the stove or furnace yet. I had load levelers and anti sway bar installed by the dealer. Trailer tracked very well with no sway when being passed by 18 wheelers on interstate or headed by 18 wheeler on 2 lane road. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7L Hemi V8. Got 19 mpg on the way to the dealer with no trailer, no air on, and windows closed. Got 11 mpg retracing the exact same route back with trailer attached, no air on and the windows open.

I won't be this wordy agaim but we're real happy with MPG and wish to share it. Hope this helps with Dodge Hemi question.

bigTdrop

Congratulations on your purchase! I note you're in Florida...great place to be this time of year. We bought our 181 late September and are very happy with it thus far.
Heading out for our second outing next weekend and really looking forward to it.

vthiker

I purchased my MPG 182 in September 2010. I pull it with a Mazda CX-9 AWD. Without the TT driving 65-70 I get about 22 mpg. When towing the MPG back home, driving the same speed, only to keep with the flow, I got about 13 mpg. When I camp next spring/summer and drive a more realistic 60-65 when towing, I am hoping for about 15 mpg. Not sure how aerodynamic the MPG is, but I love the TT.

dixdaman

Hi there, first post so excuse any blunders. Bought a MPG180. Drive a 2009 Chevy Traverse, LTZ / AWD. Usually highway mileage is around
23 ~ 25 MPG depending on speed. Just put new ice grip tires on Traverse and picked up the 180. Hauling it dry for about 1900 miles averaged
about 13 MPG. When new ice grips go on the mileage takes a dip in winter, the 13 miles per gallon did not disappoint. I expect in summer
to average about 15 mpg with normal camping load.
/ Dick

mlo166

I pull my MPG 185 with 1/2 ton '64 6cyl Chevy truck. 15 mpg average then about 11 mpg with TT, that's from the high ratio differential for older trucks. I'm a regular airplane pilot too, and in my experience, airstream dynamics start at about 65 mph before causing "noticeable" increase in your miles-per-gallon. But, of course, your vehicle and TT at 65 mph is already stressing under its own load even in a tail wind! I am simply amazed how the MPG setup is so light! (oh, you might have seen my truck in a MPG heartland commercial?).

jimtoo

Hi mlo166,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

If you have a link to the commercial, please post it.

Enjoy the forum and your MPG185.

Jim M

Georg

I pulled our new MPG 181 from the dealership in Phoenix to Alamogordo, NM with our 2003 Chevy Tahoe. Usually I get around 16 mpg but with the TT attached and some headwind I got about 10 to 11 mpg