Microwave tripping breaker after a minute or so of use .....

Midastouch

Hey everyone! Haven't posted in along time ... I guess that means things have been great with my replacement GC after the "flood", for those that know what I'm referring to!

Anyway, got a problem! This just started and I'm not an electrician, of course, so .... when I use my micro longer than a minute, it trips the breaker. When I go to the breaker, it's warm. Is the breaker bad and needs to be replaced?

I do know those things come out of a regulare house electrical box .... I'm hoping the breaker is bad and I can get a replacement. I don't know why the micro would all of a sudden be tripping the breaker for no reason but I sure don't want to burn down my house!

Thanks for the advice/info in advance!
I'm hoping I can figure out this new style forum since it's been so long since I've been here!

jbeletti

Hi Lynne,

Great hearing from you. Sounds like an over-current situation. I suspect a loose screw on the hot, neutral or ground in that circuit. Either at the receptacle end or in the breaker box. If you are not comfortable in doing so, please have someone who is comfortable in doing this and that you trust to:

1. Mark with tape, a colored dot, nail polish etc, the handle of the breaker that is popping that feeds the microwave
  2. Unplug the coach from park power, then remove the plastic frame of the AC breaker panel (4 screws I think)
  3. Using a screwdriver, make sure all set screws that have wires under them on the ground (bare wire) and neutral (white wire) for all circuits are snug.
  4. Same for the hot line connected to each breaker. Make sure they are snug.
In all that above, pay particular attention to the 3 wires that are part of the microwave circuit so you know if you had any loose wires, whether one or more of them were on that circuit.

If that's not it, then you may have to have the AC receptacle the microwave is plugged into, removed and replaced. The RV industry typically uses receptacles where a blade pierces the insulation of the wires from a circuit feeding a receptacle. Sometimes, when the are put together, they are not done perfectly. the average RVer doesn't usually have the tools to fix this type of receptacle. So I would change it to a standard residential type receptacle with screw terminals. While this may not be where your problem lies, it's a decent $2 upgrade anyway.

I believe that if your microwave is in a kitchen slide, that there is a metal electrical junction box outside, under the slide, on or near the frame. Inside that box is likely a splice where the Romex style wiring from the AC breaker panel transitions to a more flexible style wiring used in the wiring loom (flex-guard) of the slide room. My guess is there is another electrical junction box inside the cabinetry to transition back to Romex to feed the AC receptacles. So, in the junction boxes are likely wire nuts used to splice the wiring. I'd have the easy one, the one outside checked first. The person would inspect the splices to ensure proper strip length of the insulation, proper mating of the wires being spliced and proper application of the wire nut. Easy to check, easy to just resplice in the box to ensure it's done right.

So - some things to think about and try. Should take about an hour to do all of that. Hope it's something simple but please don't do this if you have never done it before and/or have no comfort level in doing so.

Temporarily, unplug the microwave, plug it into a shot heavy duty extension cord and plug it into another receptacle inside the RV to be able to use the microwave more safely until you get the circuit repaired.

Best of luck and please circle back here to let us know what the issue and fix were.

Others should weigh in here to make corrections in my methods and give other ideas.

Best of luck.

Jim

Midastouch

Thanks Jim! I will definately unplug the micro and pass this info along and see if I can have someone check into it soon! I will also be watching for any further advice and info on this topic from others! Although I have been away from the forum, it sure is nice to know you are here!

Love my 2010 Grand Canyon though!!!!!

Lynne

Charlie Harris

Lynne, You did not say whether you were plugged into 30 amp, or 50 amp. We have had the breaker trip when plugged into 30 amp campground, with a/c running and other items plugged in. You may just be drawing more watts than your breaker will handle. If your a/c or other items running, cut them off then see if your microwave is tripping the breaker.

Willym

It is unlikely that a bad connection is causing the problem. I have heard of bad connection at the breaker itself causing heat and causing the breaker to trip. This connection should mayb be checked first as per Jim's suggestion.

Breakers trip because of overload, i.e. too much current. The fact that the breaker is tripping after a minute each time suggests overload (and not a short circuit), or perhaps a weak breaker. I expect that the microwave is the only thing on the circuit, and if it works OK when powered by another another circuit, then the microwave breaker (I presume that this is the one that is tripping) is likely the problem. If your main breaker (50 A) is tripping then you must be running ,an awful lot of stuff.

Midastouch

Charlie,

I am plugged into a 50 amp ... been here over a year with no problem. I am actually sitting on a piece of property with my own RV site on it. Nothing else running at all. When the breaker trips, I can smell the melting plastic smell. The microwave is definately UNPLUGGED until I have it checked out!!!!!

Edited to add ..... my microwave breaker is tripping! Not the main breaker!

Midastouch

I'm going to have my son who is an AC (Heat/Air Cond) installer come by and take a look at the electrical per your instructions since he deals with that type thing all the time. Do those individual breakers come out inside the breaker panel box to be replaced? If I need to get supplies like a new receptacle and new breaker (may have to order), I like to have the stuff on hand. What supplies should I have or would you have on hand?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You should be able to get circuit breakers at any home center or hardware store (Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, etc.). Nothing special about them. If you have a faulty outlet, I would not even consider replacing it with another "plug 'n play" RV type. Get one that has a screw down clamp. Also available at any home center or hardware. No real need to have "spares" on hand.

I got it from your first post that it was the microwave (dedicated circuit) breaker that was tripping and not pulling more than the pedestal could supply.

jbeletti

Yes Lynne - as John mentions the breakers come out and are easily replaceable. I do not know what brand they are or what amperage the one is for the microwave. Perhaps you can read both those items on the breaker itself. Get a flashlight and the glasses out :)

Jim

Midastouch

Solution: My son came by and took the circuit breaker out ...Yep ... loose wire! He also told me that if the breaker was getting warm/hot that the chances of it being a loose wire were pretty good and that is what was wrong. The breaker actually came right off without unscrewing the screw holding the wire, so ..... got a new breaker because the original one was scorched. Replacing it also made me feel better! Everything else was tightened and he found a few that were also a little loose. Everything back up and running! I'm happy and I'll keep in touch and thanks for the advice!

A good lesson learned also!

jbeletti

Thanks for the update Lynne. Glad you got it fixed without too much difficulty. I'll pass this onto Heartland production as well.

Jim