F350 for a 3795?

mhays

We have an Arctic Fox (990) truck-camper and a 16' box trailer that we use as a "toy hauler". We are looking at a new 2009 3795.

Any issues pulling that with a F350 Diesel? The camper and trailer (we have now) weigh 10k lbs, together, wet, loaded. Have airbags, etc...

Any issues/problems/comments about an '09 3795?

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

caissiel

You do not say the model of your truck like year and engine.
Look at my towing vehicle it does the job well on my 09 BC.
The heartland trailers are easier to tow then I ever dreamed off.

2005 are rated much higher then the 2004 and earlier.

BruteForce

More information about your truck is needed. SRW or DRW F350? The F350 is an awesome towing capacity, but I'd recommend a DRW for something as large as a 3795 (to err on the safe side). I tow a 42' ToyHauler, but upgraded my truck from a SRW to a DRW and never regretted the decision.

mountain1

I tried to get my 1990 F350 to pull my 37ft. Razor toy hauler and just kept having problems. It gets heavy when you fill the 110 gallons of water, 28 gals. of gas for generator etc. went to the 450 and it pulls it well.

Bighurt

Assuming its 2003 or newer it doesn't matter the GVW of the 3795 is less than the capacity as rated by Ford. However depending on the model you could be very close to the limit. A lot of people will tell you allow for 15-25% of extra capacity, to be safe. This is particularly important when considering a SRW truck.

What worries me is the potential for a double tow, as you say you currently have a toy hauler which leaves me to believe you still want to take toys with and that is really difficult with the Horn.

More information is really necessary to lay down the numbers.

mhays

Thanks to you all for the comments. We took the plunge and bought it.

My truck is a 2003 Ford, srw, 6.0 diesel, auto-tranny, crew-cab, long bed, with the towing package.

The towing capacity and the dry weight of the trailer are about the same (approx 12k lbs). So every lb added puts me over... Having said that, I have a 4,500lb Arctic Fox slide-in camper now and pull a 5,000lb+ trailer. I have found that with top-notch maintenence, careful driving, keeping an eye on the tranny and exhaust gas temps; one can get away with a lot with a 1-ton Ford diesel.

If I have problems or am truely not safe, I'll buy a drw F-450, but I like the truck I have and don't want to do that unless I really have to.

lwmcguir

You can tow it legally and safely with a F350 if you don't want to go to the F450. I like the bigger trucks but when driving our F550 you have to really search for a place to park.

AKGUY47

Hello Mike, I just bought an 07 3795 myself. The guy I bought it from towed it for three years with a F-250, not saying that's right or safe. I plan on towing mine with an 2011 F-350 6.2 gasser, which gets comments. Like you if my truck don't work I will trade it in. I should be fine, here in Alaska we are use to slow people and thier RV's.

mhays

Have made a few trips now and the old F350 is handling it just fine. In fact, we can not belive how much nicer the drive is! I never realized how hard that 4,500lb camper sitting in the bed was on us.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Our truck isn't much different than yours and it pulls the 'blankety blank' out of our current trailer, a 43' toyhauler, but we are switching down to a lighter 5'er. Longest tow was about 3,500 mile tripe and avg. 11mpg hand calculated and the lie-o-meter. Gets up to 60-70mph easy and could pull faster but there's absolutely no reason for me to be towing something this large over 65-70mph max.
web.jpg

web.jpg