Expansion Joints

atlal

On the inside of my 2011 Grand Canyon, there are wide wooden trim stiles on each end and across the top of each expansion. There is a white vinyl covering a few inches wide on the backside of the wooden trim stiles that goes against the wall when the expansion is open. I'm guessing the vinyl acts as a seal against the wall when the expansion is open.

I've been unable to look at another Grand Canyon to check, but the bedroom expansion in my unit does not have that same white vinyl covering behind the wooden stiles.

Is that by design?

atlal (Atlanta Al)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Atlanta Al, you are correct in that the white vinyl acts as a seal. Actually I think it's more like EPDM rubber roof material. We have a BH 3585RL which is the same basic floor plan as your GC. The big bedroom slide is an electric slide and uses a different method of seal. It does not have the white material. At least that's what I think.
Hopefully the factory will chime in and confirm my observations.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't recall if my bedroom slide has the white expansion seals, either. But it would be a SWAG to say that only the larger rear slides use them because they might have a greater tendency to be slightly misaligned, so a bigger seal is used to cut wind intrusion. The bedroom slides are relatively small and don't need them.